What's new

INFO! Interview and Q&A with D.R. Franc pipemaker

I would like to introduce @drfrancpipes or Dustin, pipe-mestro to our B&B community.

•Facebook: Dustin Franc
•Instagram: drfrancpipes

We thought it would be interesting for us to get to know him and his work a little better.

As a departure from prior interviews, opening it to our members and make it a group effort with a Q&A session.
Please feel free to post your on topic questions!

So I will get this party started:

Dustin,
Where are you in the world:
What got you started into pipe smoking:
What got you started into pipe making:
What other pipe makers work do you admire:

I am located in Heber City, Utah at the moment. For locational reference. Im 30 min outside (and high above) the capital city.... Salt Lake City.
Or, if you are an Indie Movie fan... I live about 15 min from the entrance to Sundance. Where the Sundance Film Festival takes place.
I have smoked since i was 13. Cigarettes, at least. The act/passion of smoking is and has always been part of me.
I got my first tobacco pipe at 18. But didn't fall in love with pipes until recently.
Both my passion for making and my love of smoking tobacco pipes happened at the same time.
Ive been making pipes for, going on, 4 years.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Hi Dustin, you make some very interesting designs, where do you get your inspiration?

My story of becoming a Pipemaker:

I have always been an artist. I began with Fine Arts... sketching, painting, etc. But while attending college on an art scholarship, I fell hard into the music scene. So i did that for a bit. Eventually, i ended up getting a degree in Recording Arts. Then, after putting a few albums out... I took a sharp turn and started building homes for a living.
While remodeling a cabin, I found a Mahogany Burl under the porch. The idea came to me to make a pipe. After that it was like any other disease, addiction, or obession. There was no turning back!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You never know when the Spanish Inquisition will happen. :001_cool:

You have been making pipes for several years and dealing with suppliers of wood . . . equipment in your shop. . . getting stuff done and out the door and maybe customer feedback.

Of all of these things or maybe something I've not mentioned, makes you the happiest?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My story of becoming a Pipemaker:

I have always been an artist. I began with Fine Arts... sketching, painting, etc. But while attending college on an art scholarship, I fell hard into the music scene. So i did that for a bit. Eventually, i ended up getting a degree in Recording Arts. Then, after putting a few albums out... I took a sharp turn and started building homes for a living.
While remodeling a cabin, I found a Mahogany Burl under the porch. The idea came to me to make a pipe. After that it was like any other disease, addiction, or obession. There was no turning back!

Wow . . . Dustin live on line. . . answered 3/4 of my questions before I even asked.

It is hard for me to list any ONE pipemaker, as my inspiration. Especially since immersing myself in the culture that is the Carving Community. Every carver i meet has something special about their style that i pull from.
I LOVE the work from:
Chris Asteriou, Steffen Mueller, Roger Wallenstein, Mikhail Revyagin, Yves Backstoner, Martin Cermak, Jirik Biftek.... the list goes on and on.... but there are a few! Lol!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is hard for me to list any ONE pipemaker, as my inspiration. Especially since immersing myself in the culture that is the Carving Community. Every carver i meet has something special about their style that i pull from.
I LOVE the work from:
Chris Asteriou, Steffen Mueller, Roger Wallenstein, Mikhail Revyagin, Yves Backstoner, Martin Cermak, Jirik Biftek.... the list goes on and on.... but there are a few! Lol!
One of these days I’m going to get an Yves Backstoner Sea Star.

Here’s a softball question- what’s your favorite blend and/or type of tobacco.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
How many pipes are you taking to Chicago, are you having to push yourself to finish any?

Hi Dustin, you make some very interesting designs, where do you get your inspiration?
To be honest...my inspiration comes from perusing Facebook and Instagram posts from all of the other artists/makers out there. I find myself filled with excitement and "daring" (for lack of a better word) to try new things in my designs. It is very hard to set oneself apart, as a maker, in a world full of amazing artists. Most of the time... it's been done before!
Short answer: It is inspiring for me.... the very notion to create a fresh design!

You never know when the Spanish Inquisition will happen. :001_cool:

You have been making pipes for several years and dealing with suppliers of wood . . . equipment in your shop. . . getting stuff done and out the door and maybe customer feedback.

Of all of these things or maybe something I've not mentioned, makes you the happiest?
Customer feedback is great! Of course.
The feeling of opening a fresh box of Briar blocks is like Christmas!
Having a table at a Pipe Show is a constant adrenaline high!
There are so many "happy" things about pipemaking. But my happiest times are.... seeing a finished pipe, fresh of of the buffing wheel! It is that feeling of standing back and looking at a project completed.... and you did it right! Lol!

Last edited:
One of these days I’m going to get an Yves Backstoner Sea Star.

Here’s a softball question- what’s your favorite blend and/or type of tobacco.
Yves stuff is mind blowing!
My go to tobacco is Ashton Artisan's Blend.
But i also can't say no to Pirate Kake.
Also.... a few recent underdogs i have been enjoying are Punch and La Gloria Cubana.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yves stuff is mind blowing!
My go to tobacco is Ashton Artisan's Blend.
But i also can't say no to Pirate Kake.
Also.... a few recent underdogs i have been enjoying are Punch and La Gloria Cubana.
I don't smoke cigars often, but these are a couple of the brands I like.

How many pipes are you taking to Chicago, are you having to push yourself to finish any?
As many as possible! (Dont mention this to any other makers.... but.... ive only got 2 right now.... Yikes!!!!)
Suffice it to say.... i will be pushing heavily!

They make pipe tobacco? I have been so busy hording MacBaren HH blends that I haven't stuck my head up for new stuff in a while.
They do! I always like to throw in at least 1 new brand/blend with every order i make. Doing so has allowed me to try MANY different blends. I came across Punch's pipe tobacco and La Gloria Cubana's in the same "experimental ordering process." It doesn't happen very often... but both made a spot on my go-to list. (*the fact that they are inexpensive is nice as well)

Top Bottom