What's new

International trips and shaving

Generally when I take international trips I have historically not shaved, or brought a throw away type razor. When I travel I take a carry on and a personal item (backpack). Does anyone know if I can bring a safety razor on international travel?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Super simple. Go to the site for the airline you are flying. They will have links to the TSA or whomever does airport security at your airport. Or do a search on this site. Tons of threads on flying and razors. Long story short, you are restricted with carry on luggage and you can bring whatever you like in checked bags.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
It is generally allowed to pack a safety razor in your carry on bag. The blades, however, are not allowed.

I have used a travel Tech and bought blades after getting there. Lately I just get a few Bic disposables and take those instead, it makes life easier.

I'm also a light traveler. I have a day pack/personal item (meets Spirit airlines limits) and a travel jacket. That's it. My shave gear is a 1/4 stick of Arko, Simpson Wee Scot, and disposable razor. Keep it simple, keep it light.

Generally when I take international trips I have historically not shaved, or brought a throw away type razor. When I travel I take a carry on and a personal item (backpack). Does anyone know if I can bring a safety razor on international travel?

Welcome to B&B, Sir Hecklor!
Tell us, for your international travel, do you check a bag?

Take a cart razor, o disposable razor or an electric razor!
You can take a DE but have to buy blades at your destination.....NOT worth the pain.

To my knowledge you are not getting any blades on a plane unless its in your checked luggage. If you're going to need a proper shave I'd go with a cartridge or electric razor. You could also pack the razor and try to purchase blades locally.

While you should be able to take a double edge razor on board in your carry on, I have heard stories of overzealous TSA agents confiscating double edge razors even though there were no blades in it. And since you can't take blades anyway and would have to search for them in a strange city, I always just bring my Mach 3 in my carry on. That worked for me when I went to London, Paris and Geneva. This way I can have a decent shave while away. I bring all the other accoutrements like a brush and lather bowl as well.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would just take a cartridge razor to be safe. You never know which way the airline security is going to go when they have a look at your shaving gear.

Very efficient! How long are you usually away from home?
Usually gone a week. I use compression packing cubes in the carry on 21” I think it is maybe 22”, then the backpack (personal item). Bypassing waiting for check on bags, and I have eyes on my items at all times.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Does anyone know if I can bring a safety razor on international travel?
It depends on the country, airport and the actual secutity officer you get. I use to take a safety razors in my carry-on until it was confiscated from me. I think that was somewhere in Indonesia many years ago. I then switched to cartridge until that was confiscated in Vietnam. Since then, I have just made do with an electric. So far my electric hasn't been confiscated.

You should be ok in most airports with just a safety razor without blades, but from my experiences, there is no guarantee.

Tons of moving parts, despite the regulations TSA and other inspectors are very hit and miss IME. Safest with carry-on is to bring a cart. Unfortunate, but true as you don’t want to miss a connection because your luggage was pulled aside for detailed inspection. Sad but true!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I pack only a carry on and a personal item (backpack), I do not have a check on. Saves time, saves $

That's how I used to travel. Then I put some effort into getting down to personal item only. Now it's the only way to go. I have several shirts from Wool and Prince that are wrinkle and odor resistant. It's fun traveling light and not having to worry about overhead space or "checking" your carry on at the gate on smaller planes.

That's how I used to travel. Then I put some effort into getting down to personal item only. Now it's the only way to go. I have several shirts from Wool and Prince that are wrinkle and odor resistant. It's fun traveling light and not having to worry about overhead space or "checking" your carry on at the gate on smaller planes.
wish this forum had like buttons. lol. This is the very reason I do the same thing. Once you buy the compression packing cubes then it is pure saving money after.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
wish this forum had like buttons. lol. This is the very reason I do the same thing. Once you buy the compression packing cubes then it is pure saving money after.

Agree on the Like button.

After ditching checked bags and feeling pretty good about carry on, we took a transatlantic cruise. We were the youngsters on the manifest. From Rome to the cruise port we got off the train at one point where we were held up by a parade of advanced senior citizens each toting a checked bag and a carry on bag, we had to descend a couple flights of stairs, cross under the tracks, and then ascend the same number of stairs on the other side. It was painful to watch. That was when I made the decision to cut down to just the day pack.

Top Bottom