What's new

Internal Scale Haze

I was just wiping the oil off a recent acquisition and noticed a peculiar haze that appears to be internal to the scale. It looks like moisture. Have you seen this, what causes it, and is there any remediation possible short of rescaling :)

I lightly probed the inside and the haze is not on the inside surface; the outside surface is glossy and a little rubbing with some plastic polish just made it that much shinier, but no effect on the haze.

IMG_1042.jpeg

I don't know much about scale materials but if this were a laminated material rather than plastic or resin or whatever is used on Japanese scales I might guess that it's delaminating and some moisture got in between layers.

Here's a phone photo that hopefully shows the haze. The blade seems nice enough (Hoshi Tombo 8500) so I'm going to keep it, but the haze is a minor bummer.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ya know Haggis, I'd be glad to take that unsightly thing off your hands for a small handling fee!

I'm such a nice guy like that!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well I wouldn't something that ugly to be contagious and ruin your unspoiled beauty.
There is that to consider. My incredibly handsome face might be scarred for life by that honkin' blade my friend! Wow.

Unknown - it arrived from a frequently used vendor with the usual light coating on the blade (of what though I don't know).

Vendor suggested the haze might be age-related delamination of the celluloid (and was very accommodating regarding ensuring my satisfaction). Reading a bit about celluloid it appears heat can cause some issues (although the article did not provide a problematic temperature range). It did arrive in PDX on a 115°F day. I assumed that was harder on me than a razor.

I plan to just keep on eye on it for a while to watch for changes if any.

Legion

Staff member
Unknown - it arrived from a frequently used vendor with the usual light coating on the blade (of what though I don't know).

Vendor suggested the haze might be age-related delamination of the celluloid (and was very accommodating regarding ensuring my satisfaction). Reading a bit about celluloid it appears heat can cause some issues (although the article did not provide a problematic temperature range). It did arrive in PDX on a 115°F day. I assumed that was harder on me than a razor.

I plan to just keep on eye on it for a while to watch for changes if any.
I was kind of thinking that myself, but without being sure I didn't want to be alarmist.

My advice would be to keep that razor seperate from any others you might have until you can watch it for a while. If it IS the beginning of the cellulose starting to break down, one item with the problem can trigger the reaction in other items that are stored in close proximity.

If you see any evidence of the blade starting to rust for no apparent reason, whip the scales off and replace them right away.

Top Bottom