What's new

Intermittent fasting

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As a weight loss tool - anyone doing it? I’m considering it. Seems like an easy option to loose weight if you don’t want to exercise, like me.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I usually dont eat breakfast and some days i skip lunch due to a busy schedule. I consider that fasting but by dinner im so starved i pig out. I know im doing it wrong

Yep. Usually one meal a day. It part of a Keto diet I am on... except when I don't follow it very well - grin.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As a weight loss tool - anyone doing it? I’m considering it. Seems like an easy option to loose weight if you don’t want to exercise, like me.
I been doing it for few months. Just make sure you consult your doctor for any health matters first.

I'm currently intermittent fasting. Down about 15 lbs in two months. I wouldn't say that it's fully due to intermittent fasting though. I'm also making healthier choices when it comes to food choices. I think intermittent fasting is an extra tool that helps achieve a caloric deficit.

I've been doing fasting regimens for about a year. I've lost 35 pounds, I'm off of my blood pressure meds after 10 years, and I'm weaning off of my GERD meds after close to 15 years. I slowly worked myself up to where I am now, and I'm not ultra strict with it, but my normal routine is below. I would recommend that if you're going to try it, supplement with some calorie-free (i.e. Sugar and flavoring-free) electrolytes during your fast periods. Mineral imbalances are the major thing people tend to struggle with when attempting fasts and don't even realize it.
  • I Almost never eat breakfast, except the occasional Saturday or Sunday.
  • No snacking between meals (I break this rule once or twice a week)
  • Dinner only (OMAD) on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
  • I typically do lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I try to eat later in the day, roughly 4 - 5 hours before dinner.
  • Weekends are flexible. Sometimes I do lunch and dinner, sometimes I add a breakfast, sometimes I snack a tiny bit.

Intermittent fasting will not bestow upon you magical fat loss. I think folks glorify it a bit much, there's nothing about it that breaks the law of thermodynamics. What it does, however, is holds people more accountable for what they put in their mouths. Many people tend to graze and eat mindlessly, especially later at night or between meals. With IF, sticking to a fasting window just makes you more aware of what you're really consuming. It's perfectly possible and in fact very easy to outeat IF. As with any other dieting method, simply consider it as yet another tool in the toolbox. If it works for you, use it to your advantage. Many find that it helps control hunger, as well. But you won't magically lose a bunch of bodyfat just by incorporating IF; it needs to accompany a reasonable, sustainable nutrition plan, too.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m a big time grazer in the afternoon/evening. I work 5am - 3pm 4 days a week so I don’t each much during that time. But once I’m home it’s munch munch munch.

Intermittent fasting will not bestow upon you magical fat loss. I think folks glorify it a bit much, there's nothing about it that breaks the law of thermodynamics. What it does, however, is holds people more accountable for what they put in their mouths. Many people tend to graze and eat mindlessly, especially later at night or between meals. With IF, sticking to a fasting window just makes you more aware of what you're really consuming. It's perfectly possible and in fact very easy to outeat IF. As with any other dieting method, simply consider it as yet another tool in the toolbox. If it works for you, use it to your advantage. Many find that it helps control hunger, as well. But you won't magically lose a bunch of bodyfat just by incorporating IF; it needs to accompany a reasonable, sustainable nutrition plan, too.

This is the truth for any eating plan/diet. Keto, Mediterranean, Paleo, IF. They're all just tools to create a caloric deficit. The trick is to find one that works for you, and then do it forever with different levels of intensity based on goal.

My two cents...

Not the full picture as it also affects your metabolism (the "calories out" part of the equation)

It's an oversimplification for sure. I still think the changes in eating habits, that you can stick with forever, will have a much larger impact on calories in vs. out than whatever metabolic changes occur from these diets. Disclaimer *Not a scientist nor a nutritionist so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom