What's new

Interesting travel set with mismatched NEW cap?

I couldn't pass this up. "The Weekender" is what I'm guessing might have been a 30's or early 40's era travel set for the well groomed traveler. All the critical elements are covered: the case itself has a shoe brush attached to the bottom. Inside the lid is a mirror. A comb ejects from the side. Inside resides a tiny lather brush, a push up container to hold shave soap and a LC Gillette NEW, all dressed in nickel plate.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

But immediately I noticed it looks like there is a mismatch between the cap and the base plate. Unless I'm wrong, that's a cap for an SC, not an LC.

proxy.php

proxy.php

If that is correct and that is a mismatch, the only speculation I have is that while they were building these kits, they scarfed up a bunch of Gillette NEW's, both LC and SC, sent them off to be nickel plated, then on return just mixed and matched. Somewhere out there is a Weekender kit with an SC base and an LC cap.

I can't tell if the kit was ever used but it looks like it has sat somewhere for a very long time.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Can't be of help, but I like the set, Lane!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Lovely set, is it real leather?
As nickel plated SC and LC are rare on their own, and both handle and head seems to have the same so-so quality plating, I'd say it's an original mismatched set.

Adam

Really no need to capitalize the Gillette New as NEW. Mr. Razor started it, not Gillette, and it's time to stop. PSA.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Lovely set, is it real leather?
As nickel plated SC and LC are rare on their own, and both handle and head seems to have the same so-so quality plating, I'd say it's an original mismatched set.

Adam

Yes there's a tag on the inside of the lid, "Genuine Leather, Made in U.S.A". Interesting that it could be an original mismatch.

I agree with both Adams, I like it and it very well could be an original mismatched set. Very nice set! :thumbup:

R

romsitsa

The worker didn't need to assemble the razor before putting it into the case so chanches that a missmatch slipped QC would have been high, imho.
And if I recall correctly similar grooming sets also came with ball end long combs.

Adam

I agree with both Adams, I like it and it very well could be an original mismatched set. Very nice set! :thumbup:

Thank you :)

The worker didn't need to assemble the razor before putting it into the case so chanches that a missmatch slipped QC would have been high, imho.
And if I recall correctly similar grooming sets also came with ball end long combs.

Adam

I know next to nothing about Gillette's production of nickel plated NEW razors. I presume they would have been done on a limited scale for companies who wanted to include them in such sets?

R

romsitsa

Me neither, as advertisements don't mention nickel plated Gillette razors, but I had a factory nickel LC, and for eg. razor cases were nickel plated during the New era, so Gillette could plate razors that way.
On the other hand I never saw a silver plated Federal or Regent set, but a German catalogue lists them.

Adam

No help on the mismatch question but have looked at a few of these and have come close to getting one, before the voices in my head talked me out of it. NICE score !!!

That’s one great score, Lane, congrats - I love the engraved writing, the font is stunningly beautiful. And also the title of it “The Weekender”! You can almost hear an old radio commercial... Awesome!

Hello,

Metalfield Inc. Weekender gives a few hits on google and ebay. There is a common bar New, just like yours, but with a matching SC plate, a date coded ball end Tech and a ndc ball end Tech.
I assume this set had a quite long production run or Metalfield simply bought whatever three piece Gillette had on hand.

And here is the patent application, with a common bar.
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/a9/31/72/a61a97d295dbc8/US2097938.pdf

Adam

Great info. That's what I suspected as to how the razors were used for the sets. I have never attempted a shave with a mismatched cap and baseplate but I should probably try at least once to see what result it produces.

Very nice set, great score.

Thank you.

Picked one of these up today. This one has a matching nickel short comb! I'm missing the leather sleeve but the kit itself looks unused. Very cool piece!

Attachments

• 20200416_160558.jpg
    20200416_160558.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200416_160505.jpg
    20200416_160505.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200416_155609.jpg
    20200416_155609.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
Top Bottom