What's new

Interesting take on why beard became less popular in the 1900's

While I suppose anything is possible, I have a difficult time agreeing with the overall theme of the article. While hygiene no doubt played a role (hard to keep facial hair clean when taking a bath was infrequent at best) I have to think that the majority of people didn't jump on the "end germs to end tuberculosis" band wagon. It's hard enough to get people in 2016 to wash their hands to prevent the spread of colds and flus let alone convince an even more superstitious and less advanced era to do so.

Also, while I won't claim to represent the majority of cultures, my guess is that the "sick and dying" look was not sought after as a thing of beauty. Some of the things mentioned in the article most likely have other attributing factors. An example being, in a great number of history classes I've taken over the years, I've been lead to believe that women sought the pale complexion because it showed they did not have to work outside. With the majority of the populace employed in laborious positions requiring outside work, to be so pale as to obviously not be outside with any regularity would show you were well off. The next best thing to actually being that well off would be to fake it and have people think you were.

Still, interesting in its own way, and stranger things have happened.

Being clean shaven has cropped up in many cultures over the aeons. Egyptian culture saw it as a way to distinguish mankind from animals. Egyptian pharaohs employed servants who shaved their entire bodies multiple times a day.

The development of the safety razor played a major role in its popularity here in the Americas. It made shaving relatively safe and much easier. It also made shaving much less fussy due the disposable blade.

Being clean shaven caught on because it was already fashionable but prohibitively expensive and fairly dangerous previous to certain industrial and scientific advances. Gillette and his invention were only part of the equation.

The popularity of facial hair in some prominent counter-culture movements in the past has served to impress on our collective cultural mind a stigma associated with said facial hair. This is why the movement to grow beards is so allow to gain steam. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

I shave as it is seen as unseemly in contemporary American culture for a Christian minister to have a beard. I wet shave because: if I gotta, I may as well enjoy the process.

Makes sense considering Jesus was Jewish.
Considering it is common knowledge Jesus wore a beard, I think it's safe to say that comment was ironic?

That's ok, though. I do have an explanation. If you're interested, please read the following:

A Christian's primary purpose is to share the good news of the Kingdom. --Matthew 24:14; 28:19, 20

Though there is nothing morally wrong with facial hair, nor prohibition against growing it, our job as Christians is to speak with others about the Bible. The focus should rightly be on God's word, not our unorthodox style choices. In fact, there are many who would draw incorrect, even unfair, conclusions about us based on our appearance. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) Therefore we do what we can to avoid putting up unnecessary boundaries, as God desires all sorts of people to be saved. -- 1 Timothy 2:4

Though my preference is to have facial hair in abundance, it is out of love for those to whom I preach that my appearance includes a clean shaven visage. -- Romans 15:3

I appreciate some may not agree with what I wrote above, and that is perfectly ok. We're all entitled to our beliefs. I merely felt that qualification of my previous statement was necessary.

Top Bottom