What's new

Interesting Take on a Panama Hat

The other day, while wearing a Panama hat, I was in line at a store. They guy in front of me asked me was I Mafia. He said "that hat" made me look like one of those Mafia men in the movies. I told him no, but I worked for a power company.

Still can't think of why a Panama hat would have such a connotation. I have a Fedora that makes me look like a hood, but never associated this with a Panama hat.

What do you say? Have you ever run into this?

I wear a Gambler Panama. People think it's a Western Style hat. When it comes to hats besides ball caps, most people aren't well versed in heritage of style.

I wear a Gambler Panama. People think it's a Western Style hat. When it comes to hats besides ball caps, most people aren't well versed in heritage of style.
And I was surprised to learn that what is often called a Fedora is actually a Trilby. Wonder when those names got mixed up.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Reason 1005 not to talk to people in line in stores
I dont make that association but maybe it was said in jest. Generally speaking its not good practice to ask people if they are mafia.

I dont make that association but maybe it was said in jest. Generally speaking its not good practice to ask people if they are mafia.
I assumed it was a joke. You're right, that wouldn't be the smartest move.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Lol! I'm the reason it takes so long in the checkout lines. I talk to everybody. I'm ADHD so I never remember their names, so I don't think I've made any lasting relationships! My lovely War Department will ask "who was that?" and then be mad that it wasn't an old friend of mine, really! She needs to lighten up. I'm thoroughly enjoying being the crazy old retired guy.

And I was surprised to learn that what is often called a Fedora is actually a Trilby. Wonder when those names got mixed up.
I have always thought that a Trilby is style of fedora.
I have a straw pork pie that I wear with the front brim down that people often refer to as a fedora.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have always thought that a Trilby is style of fedora.
I have a straw pork pie that I wear with the front brim down that people often refer to as a fedora.
Yep. Me too. But to be truthful, I have no idea what I would call half the hats I own! I call them all hats.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Lol! I'm the reason it takes so long in the checkout lines. I talk to everybody. I'm ADHD so I never remember their names, so I don't think I've made any lasting relationships! My lovely War Department will ask "who was that?" and then be mad that it wasn't an old friend of mine, really! She needs to lighten up. I'm thoroughly enjoying being the crazy old retired guy.
Well now are these attractive ladies you are chatting up
Lol

The other day, while wearing a Panama hat, I was in line at a store. They guy in front of me asked me was I Mafia. He said "that hat" made me look like one of those Mafia men in the movies. I told him no, but I worked for a power company.

Still can't think of why a Panama hat would have such a connotation. I have a Fedora that makes me look like a hood, but never associated this with a Panama hat.

What do you say? Have you ever run into this?
Mafia?
Nah.
South American cocaine kingpin.

I've worn authentic Panama hats... from Ecuador for years. Great protection from the intense sunshine.

Fifteen years ago I bought this Stetson Straw, custom hair band, air holes, 4.25 inch high crown, 3.5 inch brim. Absolutely love this hat! Fits perfectly, fine protection, always get excellent comments. American made.

20190703_193733.jpg

Top Bottom