What's new

Interesting Philips Commercial

That's one of the strangest commercials I have ever seen! :001_huh: If I were in the market for an electric razor that commercial would cause me to look elsewhere. Then again I am not a fan of most sci-fi movies.

That's one of the strangest commercials I have ever seen!
+1
:001_huh: If I were in the market for an electric razor that commercial would cause me to look elsewhere. Then again I am not a fan of most sci-fi movies.
Now suppose you were in the market for some high-end wet-shaving gear? If they put a Pils razor or a Shavemac brush into the hands of that robette, I bet we'd be giving it a standing ovation and nominating it for a CLIO award.

Last edited:
Note the features of the robot are Asian. This advertisement is aimed heavily at the Japanese market where robots are being heavily promoted by both the government and industry to take over many functions served by humans due to the declining population trends.

Note the HRP-4C robot in the back of the photo in the attached article.

http://www.physorg.com/news203756368.html

This scene reminds me of the movie Blade Runner in the set and mood (music and visuals).

I have no doubt that it appeals to the pre-pubescent sci-fi nerd.

I don't know about pre-pubescent...the commercial (if not the product) appeals even to this adult sci-fi nerd! :lol:

The production values are pretty remarkable for a commercial. The aesthetic is consistent, but gives enough variety to remain interesting. The design is elaborate yet not cluttered. The CG is restrained enough not to break the viewer's immersion, yet ambitious enough to really inject life into the world it creates. There's a lot of world-building in that short scene...how we observe the robot move, interact with her environment, and change her environment all builds together: after the commercial, you've got a pretty fair notion of how she might go on to, say, prepare his breakfast or make his bed.

There's also a lot of characterization of the robot...in fact, that's most of the commercial. She's clearly a robot, but, in interacting with her environment and her master in the way she does, she's clearly capable of curiosity, love, and disappointment. Her interaction with the human (who's almost faceless, interestingly) raises all sorts of themes of gender, class, and even race. Heck, this kind of thematically reminds me of Blade Runner...I could imagine this moment of humiliation being what ultimately ends in the rebellion banning Replicants from Earth and, ultimately, Roy Batty's return.

Of course, it's a damned shame that they had to go and use all that creativity to advertise a mediocre shaving product. :laugh:

some adv commercials are going way modern then you have ones like the newer Alka Seltzer commercials that are going a little retro using Speedy again.

It stinks.

I am a geek. I have stacks of AI magazines in storage. I have books on AI on my shelves. This confusing mish-mash of femme shape and fake emotion on the robot is just sick. It is a reflection of the culture which created it. I hope Japanese potential buyers will recognize the overt manipulation of the Asian female robot and the round-eye male as advertising lunacy.

A waste of good CG. Game programmers could have come up with something compelling.

some adv commercials are going way modern then you have ones like the newer Alka Seltzer commercials that are going a little retro using Speedy again.

Some of the Alka-Seltzer commercials from the late '60s and early '70s were award winners ... along with Volkswagen, Pepsi and several others.
(I don't mean that they won formal awards, though they may well have done so, but that in my opinion they were blue ribbon commercials.)

If only they put that much thought and engineering into the actual PRODUCT...
(Yeah, I'm disgruntled. I got less than 2 years out of my last $300 Philips wet shaver before it went HAL9000 and tried to kill its operator!)

But it all happens for a reason.
I bought my first DE as a result of that experience! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom