What's new

Interesting observation with Injector

Well, I had more or less written off injectors as being to harsh for my face. I had tried a couple of different brands of blades, tried corking, tried hot towels, tried different soaps, lotions and shaving cremes, all to no avail. It always felt like I was shaving with broken glass. So I gave up on them about two years ago, and went back to my other kinds of razors. Today I was replacing the brass open comb gillette in the shower, and figured that since the injector I have is brass as well, I would give it another try. It's the weekend, if I get a crappy shave, who cares? The wife and kids can deal with stubble. So I dig it out of the box of razors, put in a new blade, and go hop in the shower. I used my normal soap, which is a mix of half dove and half williams shaving soap, and lathered up. Dang. It felt just as smooth as my regular double edge razors. None of the scraping, flaying of the skin feeling I remember. I had never tried this one in the shower because, well, it had sucked so bad before. I never got around to trying it that way. I did a full shave with WTG, ATG, followed by back to front on my cheeks to finish it up. It wasn't as close as shaving with a straight razor, or my vintage slant. But it was still on par with my other double edge razors. Tonight I have no signs of razor burn or other irratation. I am thoroughly surprised. I'll see how long this blade lasts, and if it continues to perform at this level. If it can keep up with the other razors, it may actually get put back into the rotation permanently. At least as a shower razor.

-Mb

Mb, it sounds to me like you mastered de shaving to the point that revisting the injector was a treat for you. I've been slightly curious about injector razors.

I don't know if that is all of it. I mean I'd like to think that I have gotten better over the years. But I have always had better luck with shaving in the shower if I want a close shave. Especially if I don't have time to set everything up and do a proper shave in the sink. But since I live in southern california, land of water hard enough pave a driveway with, I won't leave any of my really good razors in there. Brass seems to hold up better. Since the injector I have is bakelite and brass, it isn't bothered by the calcium build up like my mirror-finish merkurs. Or rather, if it is, I don't care. It is flat brass, and I paid a whopping $5 for it. We'll see how well this one holds up.

Well, I ended up getting about a weeks worth of shaves per blade with this critter. Towards the end, I could "feel" the blade more. The shave stayed fairly close. For the first 2-3 shaves, one pass WTG is enough. After that an ATG pass is needed to clean up. The soap or cream/gel doesn't seem to make much difference. I even used the cheap barbasol stuff we keep in the shower for the kids to play with with no ill effects. It is still not as comfortable as some of my other razors, but will work for a shower razor for now.

-Mb

Top Bottom