What's new

Interesting morning....

My neighbors grandfather, Tony, is a 96 year young WW2 veteran. Last year my wife and I had the privilege of spending an afternoon with this gentleman and it was a fantastic experience. We had such a great time we told our neighbors that the next time their grandfather was visiting we would love to have them all over for a meal. Well, tomorrow we are hosting them for brunch and I couldn't be more excited. Why am I posting this in The Café forum you may wonder? Allow me to explain.

Tony drinks two cups of coffee every day. No more, no less. He has drank the same coffee since he returned to the US from his time serving in Europe, which if my math is correct is roughly 70 years. HIs coffee...Maxwell House.

Now my wife and I are not coffee snobs by any stretch, but we starting buying coffee beans from a local roaster and have been grinding our own fresh each morning for years. I like me a goooood cup of coffee. I cant risk disappointing Tony. If Tony wants Maxwell House, Tony will get Maxwell House. Period. So off to the local grocery store I went last night. I purchased the smallest container of Maxwell House they had, 11.5 oz of preground mass marketed blandness.

I should mention, I use to like Maxwell House. When I was in college in the 80's the dorm I lived in had an old Bunn coffee maker and all the free coffee you wanted to brew...as long as you wanted Maxwell House cuz that's all they ever had. I drank a whole lotta Maxwell House those first couple years of college and liked it, but that was a long time ago.

Fast forward to this morning. I decided to brew a pot in advance of tomorrows brunch to make sure I know how much to use. I cracked the seal on the tub of MH and was expecting the house to be filled with that fresh coffee smell. Wrong. Almost no scent at all unless I buried my nose in the coffee. I thought.....ugh. Well, if Tony could go fight a war, the least I can do is suffer through a bad cup of coffee. I followed the instructions on the can and loaded one tablespoon of preground coffee per 6 ounces of water into the Bonavita and pressed the brew button.

Again....almost no coffee aroma while the pot was brewing and again I thought....ugh.

I poured my wife and I each a cup when the brewing was completed and was pleasantly surprised. I'm no going to say its the greatest coffee ever, but it was pretty darn good. Heck, better than good, this is a damn fine cup of coffee. Much better than expected.

Now I'm sitting here at the keyboard finishing off the last of the pot and yes, as they claim on the can, it is indeed "good to the last drop".

What a pleasant surprise. Bring on tomorrow.

Cheers!

I roast my own beans, and would be hard pressed to drink Maxwell House. However, for a hero who went to war, a war far worse than the single deployment I had while in the military, I would drink whatever he wanted. I hope you all have a wonderful time together. Please thank him for his service to our nation for me. He, and those like him, lead the way for today's Soldiers.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I roast my own beans, and would be hard pressed to drink Maxwell House. However, for a hero who went to war, a war far worse than the single deployment I had while in the military, I would drink whatever he wanted. I hope you all have a wonderful time together. Please thank him for his service to our nation for me. He, and those like him, lead the way for today's Soldiers.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I'm in Australia and most of the coffee drunk here is instant. I have drunk it for years, it is quick and convenient. I have slightly upped my game with a Moka Pot and I am now investigating pour over coffee. I have limited bench space so an Electric machine is out. Maxwell House was big in the day, now it is Nescafe. I agree though, Tony did it hard in his day to make it much easier for us today. He is entitled to drink whatever he desires and to get to 96, it definately has not hurt him. I as an Australian thank him for his service.

Freshly opened grocery store coffee can be pretty drinkable (even without sugar).

Glad it sits only one day as it still should taste freshly opened.

Top Bottom