What's new

Interesting Find in the country of Colombia

I just returned home from a trip from the country of Colombia. My wife was born there and we wanted her family to meet our second baby boy for the first time. My wife asked me to get her father a DE as a present. My concern was whether there would be DE blades available and further what they would cost as far as shipping for him.

I didn’t have a lot of time to shop before leaving and decided to give him an unused Fendrihan Mark II I was going to give my son, but thought I could easily replace that later up in the US.

Our trip was both to the Bahamas and Colombia so I brought my trusty Atra I use for travel. I ended up giving him the Mark II, a bunch of Kai, Lab Blues and Yellow blades, Proroso Green tube shave cream and a Plissoft brush.

I was suprised when he told me he had never tried DE, only used electric and later, cartridges. I taught him how to shave and he did very well, no cuts and he got BBS with a Yellow. Both he and my wife assured me that DE blades were sold there.

During the trip, I saw that most pharmacies sold Schick and Minora DE blades but ones I haven’t seen before. The Schick blades are new and seem to be everywhere and the Minora blades don’t appear to be the Gillette ones and are sold in a dark brown package without the Gillette logo.

These Schick blades state on the package that they are made in Germany but are packaged in China and shipped to a myriad of South American countries under Ever Ready. I know Edgewell owned Personna but knew nothing about a German plant. This really piqued my interest but I was unable to find these blades anywhere online. See pics below. I bought 5 packs of 5 for my father in law and 5 for me to try when I got home. They sell for about 80 cents per 5 pack.

Will update with a shave soon. I want to see if they are like my Lab Blues first so I want to try them with my Game Changer .84. My .84 and the Lab Blues are great together and I will be able to gauge any similarities easily.

Anybody see this box before? I couldn’t locate it online at all.

Attachments

• DF449D16-AE19-4E37-B318-1FCAE77E0307.jpeg
    DF449D16-AE19-4E37-B318-1FCAE77E0307.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • AE9C5DF8-00BB-42EF-8564-519D7642277C.jpeg
    AE9C5DF8-00BB-42EF-8564-519D7642277C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 41E66003-CC54-4138-BEFD-A7E8807D7495.jpeg
    41E66003-CC54-4138-BEFD-A7E8807D7495.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 4E2ABD6C-216E-4466-8329-A066B4B8151D.jpeg
    4E2ABD6C-216E-4466-8329-A066B4B8151D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 47D11AB2-F0D0-4867-AD1B-C23B48F05A54.jpeg
    47D11AB2-F0D0-4867-AD1B-C23B48F05A54.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • B58BE5A5-EA6A-46E6-AB6D-7149C94CBD29.jpeg
    B58BE5A5-EA6A-46E6-AB6D-7149C94CBD29.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
The Schick blades in your photo are the same blade as the German Wilkies and the Minora blades were made in the Gillette plant in Brazil which no longer makes DE blades. Same plant where the Gillette Platinum Plus blades sold at Walgreen's a few years back were made.

Update

Had to do a 2 am shave after my initial post after flying back home. I found the blade very similar and the same rigidity to my Lab Blue but it is sharper.

After more research, I saw that Schick Asia was a partner of Edgewell Personal Care at least until 2015 and Edgewell has manufacturing in Solingen, Germany. I think the blade is actually a Personna under the licensed Schick name. Again, very similar, only sharper. Bloomberg lists the company as a distributor of Edgewell. Don’t make the mistake I did and search the website Bloomberg notes online, it has either been hacked or the Schick Asia Limited company was is no more. It sends you to an adult website of some sort, beware!

I think this is one of those blades that may be well known to us, but one that I never personally tried. I really like this blade and would like to order more somehow.

I’m going to see how many shaves I can get out of it, nice blade.

The Schick blades in your photo are the same blade as the German Wilkies and the Minora blades were made in the Gillette plant in Brazil which no longer makes DE blades. Same plant where the Gillette Platinum Plus blades sold at Walgreen's a few years back were made.

This was my first thought also until giving it a go, but it is different than the Brazil Platinum Plus blade, seems to be smoother. I bought a bunch of Brazil PP blades from a grocery store a while back and still have a few, this blade is a bit different. It lists manufacturing in Germany, doesn’t remotely feel like a Merkur and seems different than the Wilkinson also.

Would love to know what this is. It is distributed all over in Latin America. The Minora blades I saw only have 3 per pack and look different than the bright colors of the Gillette. Should’ve bought some.

Thanks for posting, interesting Schick blade.

I’m going to order some German WS to be sure to compare to see if Bogeyman is right about the WS. I hope he is, I like the blade.

I compared this Schick stamp to my Gillette WS blades but not sure if they are the same as German ones or if they are different. My Gillette WS are fine but I moved on to other blades I thought were better a while back. The Gillette ones I have are different than these Schick stamps for sure.

This was my first thought also until giving it a go, but it is different than the Brazil Platinum Plus blade, seems to be smoother. I bought a bunch of Brazil PP blades from a grocery store a while back and still have a few, this blade is a bit different. It lists manufacturing in Germany, doesn’t remotely feel like a Merkur and seems different than the Wilkinson also.

Would love to know what this is. It is distributed all over in Latin America. The Minora blades I saw only have 3 per pack and look different than the bright colors of the Gillette. Should’ve bought some.

Sorry, misunderstood your message initially, you meant the Minora blades I saw in Colombia are the same as the Brazil PP.

Update

Had to do a 2 am shave after my initial post after flying back home. I found the blade very similar and the same rigidity to my Lab Blue but it is sharper.

After more research, I saw that Schick Asia was a partner of Edgewell Personal Care at least until 2015 and Edgewell has manufacturing in Solingen, Germany. I think the blade is actually a Personna under the licensed Schick name. Again, very similar, only sharper. Bloomberg lists the company as a distributor of Edgewell. Don’t make the mistake I did and search the website Bloomberg notes online, it has either been hacked or the Schick Asia Limited company was is no more. It sends you to an adult website of some sort, beware!

I think this is one of those blades that may be well known to us, but one that I never personally tried. I really like this blade and would like to order more somehow.

I’m going to see how many shaves I can get out of it, nice blade.

Interesting!! Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom