What's new

Interesting encounter on a bow hunting trip to the family deer camp

Hi All,
Last Friday, my eleven year old son made the weekend drive up to the family camp in the upper peninsula of Michigan. My father was already up there. We enjoyed a great dinner and each other’s company before a good nights sleep under a full moon. We woke up early and dressed heavy for a cold sit in the tree stands. My son sits with me in a double stand. He’s not strong enough to pull a compound powerful enough to kill deer, so he practices with my new cross. He shot a nice doe the previous weekend and was really excited to see a nice buck. It was not to be. The morning was very quiet and we didn’t see or hear any deer.

We worked around the property all afternoon and dressed up for a cold evening hunt. Again, no deer. Then we heard a deer snorting and running. it was covering a lot of territory and making a ton of snorts as it ran. I have never heard a deer make that much noise on purpose. Then, a doe came in and ran away. It never made us or even looked at us. After a short time we heard another deer running in another direction and snorting and wheezing as it ran. We heard it run at least a half mile as it snort off into the distance. Lastly, a doe and two fawns came and snacked on the corn from a spin feeder. They were very nervous.

This happens every year. It means the wolves are moving through. There is no mistaking it. Oh well, there’s nothing that could be done so we enjoyed the wilds and got down when it was too dark to shoot. We walked a quarter mile to the trail that led to my dad‘s stand. We waited for him as it started to sleet and rain. He had a similar experience and after a short discussion, we started down the road to the 4 wheeler which was a half mile away. The road is very skinny, but graveled nicely and we need no flashlight to walk it. We were quietly talking as we rounded a corner and all the sudden, as quiet as a ghost, a large wolf crossed the road about 5 yards in front of us. It was a big boy. It’s back was very high. Of course, my dad saw nothing, which is not uncommon.... My son yelled, did you see that dog? Of course, I had. It had left scat not far from where it crossed in front of us that we found the next day. It was full of deer hair.

A spooky, but exciting experience! You can’t beat the wilderness for interesting times. Better than any video game.

Regards

Cool yet spooky experience. I have to admit I am a little disappointed that it didn't turn out to be a Bear walk though. ( Escanaba in da Moonlight is my all time favorite deer hunting movies lol.)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I think it is awesome we still have wolves in the wild. Or was it Bigfoot? :lol:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The time was the mid sixties and I had moved from the East Coast with a new wife and a new BRG MGB to Phoenix. We were on a road trip from 44th & East Thomas to Black Canyon then north to Flag and back east until we swept through the Tonto and down the Mogollon Rim to Scottsdale and home. Back then the road through the forest was still dirt and it had been a warm day even above the rim so the top was down and stored away in the boot. The sun dad gone down almost instantly and the stars truly filled the sky. Ahead we saw eyes reflecting in the head lights and figured from the height it was some deer so we slowed down as we approached until I realized that it was not a deer but a wolf; a wolf that appeared to be considerably taller than the top of the MGB's windscreen.

Did I mention is was an MGB?

An MGB with the top rolled up and stowed away in the boot?

And we were in the absolute middle of nowhere?

And it was night?

And the wolf was HUGE?

I blew the horn and flashed the lights and kept driving toward it and ...

he looked bored, kinda laughed at me and disappeared off into the forest.

A few miles further down and we came to the rim and could see lights in the distance and I thought momentarily about stopping and putting the top on (on that car the top was a separate canvas with a two part frame needing to be assembled before stretching the canvas over top) and decided that was simply not gonna happen and soon we were back in Scottsdale.

I asked my wife if she had been as scared as I was and she just looked at me.

"About the wolf!" I said.

"What wolf?" she said?

It seems she had dozed off but woke up when I blew the horn but didn't see a thing.

Top Bottom