What's new

Interesting discovery, Gillette now making shaving CREAM for the Indian market?

I posted this in a different thread without knowing the significance of this discovery, until an other member pointed it out. We felt that perhaps more B&B members would like to know this good news. So I'm reposting it as a new thread.
I picked these 2 tubes up outside the railway station(Chennai) in a small general store a few days ago. 2 other members have spotted these creams in Mumbai and New Delhi. For the last so many years I've seen a wide variety of Gillette shaving 'foams' and 'gels' in India, but NEVER a shaving cream? Is Gillette now making shaving creams for the Indian market? Is this the beginning of a revival of some sorts?
View attachment 461938
These are only travel tubes 30grams each. They are also making bigger 70gram tubes(found in Mumbai), but on following the links on the back of the tube there isn't any mention of new shaving creams on the website?
View attachment 461947

http://www.pg.com/en_IN/brands/pg_in...shtml#gillette

http://www.gillette.com/en/IN/home.aspx

Reviews for the lime cream(which is pretty good) can be found here-

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/408456-Indian-shaving-creams-reviews

The price is on par with other Indian creams at Rs.33(50 cents) for the travel tube and Rs 59($1) for the 70gram tube.

Last edited:
I called the number on the back of the tube and after several transfers I spoke to a customer rep in Manila, Philippines. She had no idea about these creams and said that there was no mention of it on the Gillette India website(something we already knew). I was put on hold again while she checked with her superior and then got back to me saying yes these creams have been released in India recently and the website hasn't been updated.

I also asked if-

The bigger tubes will be available in my state any time in the near future?
and
That I have friends in other countries who would be interested in trying these creams, will they be making these more widely available? Will they go with full distribution?

She didn't have answers to any of these questions, perhaps we'll get some in the coming months.

Gillette started local manufacture of tubed shave cream in India around 1990 although it was marketed under the 7 O'Clock brand name as it was believed at that time that this was better known in the market. The basic fomulation was that used everywhere in the world with just perfume differences. It was made under contract by a company called Lucky Laboratories in a factory in Sikandrabad about 90 minutes (on a good day) drive east from Delhi. Lucky was a subsidiary of a much larger company (whose name I have forgotten) based in nearby Ghaziabad.
The product was withdrawn after a couple of years following some (unwarranted) concern about its compatibility with high ambient temperatures.
It was reformulated and relaunched - this time made (again under contract) by a small new company based in Navi Mumbai. Later this new formulation (which was always inferior to the original product) was dropped and the original formulation re-introduced. At this time the contract manufacturer was also moved to AeroPharma in Silvassa. And later the contractor was again changed to Sarvotham in Secunderabad near Hyderabad.
My historical links end in 2006 so I don't know any details after that.

Great news!
Nothing Against canned goo (Infact,those are hygeinic in barbershops!), but those were pushed as more premium in Indian markets.
Only true aficionados understand the joy of a cream.

Top Bottom