What's new

Interesting Conversation In the Shave Aisle

I was picking up some deodorant last night, which happens to be in the same aisle as the shave gear at our local "Mega-lo-mart" and I overheard two guys bemoaning the cost of razors/cartridges. They would pick one up and put it back down, they were saying, this is $7, this one is $8...etc.

Of course I couldn't keep my mouth shut (usually the case with me, ask my wife! :001_rolle). So I piped up, "I can buy 100 razor blades shipped to my door for around $10." This got their interest, I then explained that they could get a better shave for less $$ by switching to a DE razor. (No, I didn't tell them about AD's :devil:) I even pointed out the Burma Shave brush and the puck of Williams on the shelf.

"You mean those 'old' metal razors?" One asked me. "Yep, the old ones like your grandpa probably used" I replied.

The one thing that surprised me was they indicated they had heard about a lot of guys making the switch. These two were probably in their early 20's or so (I'm 41...). I told them to Google "Wet Shaving" and "Double Edge razors".

I think they were very interested. :w00t:

I've been talking about DE shaving at work, over lunch. I can see the veils form over the eyes of some of the guys here when I get to talking about the change I've experienced in my shaves since switching from cartridges.
There is a lot of resistance because of the 'newer is better' philosophy. It's at itimes like these that I understand the influence advertising can have on people's perceptions.

I'm not trying to make any converts though. We just chat about all sorts of junk, and DE shaving is on my mind at the moment.

Who knows? Maybe some of what I say will get someone to take a closer look at DE shaving.

Good job!

We should start stalking the shaving aisles haha.

Or better yet, leave little stickers/signs around pointing them towards the B&B

I felt a similarly evangelistic feeling when one of my workmates expressed an interest in using a straight. Told him I'd lend him a truly shave-ready one. He's not got back to me yet though.

No, I didn't tell them about AD's :devil:

I told them to Google "Wet Shaving" and "Double Edge razors".

I think they were very interested. :w00t:

Thought better of pointing them straight away to the B&B Post Your Shave Den thread? But you probably know where "Wet Shaving" will land them.

I've been talking about DE shaving at work, over lunch. I can see the veils form over the eyes of some of the guys here when I get to talking about the change I've experienced in my shaves since switching from cartridges.
There is a lot of resistance because of the 'newer is better' philosophy. It's at itimes like these that I understand the influence advertising can have on people's perceptions.

I'm not trying to make any converts though. We just chat about all sorts of junk, and DE shaving is on my mind at the moment.

Who knows? Maybe some of what I say will get someone to take a closer look at DE shaving.

I converted a guy at work. Don't know how it came up, but he was complaining about being roughed up by that 7 blade Transformers contraption. In his room there's another guy whose father owned a drug store or something. He inherited the stock, and loves talking about the stuff he has. Among other things, he said he had the first twin blade--a contraption that stacked two DE blades. He uses some twin blade cartridge thing, probably because he still has 5000 of them. Yesterday, I gave him a handful of feather DEs. Not holding out hope for him, though, since he has way too many toys to play with, but it's fun talking.

I find it terribly humorous that discussing shaving is an attempt at discipleship. I applaud the efforts of the faithful, I am not a good disciple. I don't try very hard to gain numbers for the cause. Sorry guys.

Ha Ha Ha

I might try to convert someone if I saw that they were interested...If they started to loose interest in what I was saying, I would simply stop. Long live Art!

Understand, normally I don't even talk about shaving to anyone. I figure they are happy with their current routine, and if they want to try something different, they will seek that knowledge on their own, the same way many of us have.

The only reason I said anything was because I heard them complaining about the price of the razors/cartridges...

It's interesting but I find the DE blades in Shopper's (Canada's largest drug store chain by a mile) which are total cr*p are also unbelievably over priced. Last time I looked, I think they were $9.99 for 10 and there was only one brand (Gillette), so unless some of the newcomers are "educated" - they will end up with expensive blades and bad shaves to boot.

i guess i was lucky because the harmon's stores by me manage to carry the some wilkinson sword blades which are very cheap ($2) and are pretty good.

as far as converting people i let them come to me. if they happen to see my shaving crap lying out and ask about it i'll tell them. i think most people out there though are either lazy/don't know/don't really want to know about a cheaper way to shave.

Top Bottom