What's new

Interesting article on moustaches

I found this article entitled, "The Moustache to Rule Them All". I found it an interesting read, I thought you might enjoy it as well.

When I was a lumberjack, pretty much everybody had a moustache and/or beard. Partly because shaving was seen as a luxury (as the article mentioned had occurred during WW1), but also because facial hair acted as insulation against the cold.

We never thought of it as manly, but I guess a big huge beard is the epitome of virility. 💪:biggrin1:

An interesting article. It is woefully incomplete, but then any article would be based upon character limits alone. It misses things like access to water. In Iraq, we were "allowed" 4 days of not shaving once when our water supply was contaminated. In desert areas facial hair meant not wasting water.
In many cultures, and the article touched on this, facial hair was a display of virility. This ebbs and flows throughout time and location.
The article I believe doesn't give Gillette enough credit. Shaving with a cutthroat really sucks if you're in any way pressed for time. Especially a sensitive area like under your nose. So if your station in life let you get away with it, it's much less painful to grow a stache.

An interesting article. It is woefully incomplete, but then any article would be based upon character limits alone. It misses things like access to water. In Iraq, we were "allowed" 4 days of not shaving once when our water supply was contaminated. In desert areas facial hair meant not wasting water.
Access to water (or lack thereof) was mentioned in reference to the section of the article dealing with World War 1. I mentioned it obliquely in my earlier post (i.e. shaving was seen as a luxury during World War 1 due to the scarcity of clean water).

I've been in a similar position (forestry survey out in the boonies), so I dry-shaved with an Atra, using sweat as the lubricant. Looking back, what a terrible idea! I blame it on Predator (the old Schwarzenegger movie) where Bill Duke dry-shaves out in the jungle. :laugh:

I found this article entitled, "The Moustache to Rule Them All". I found it an interesting read, I thought you might enjoy it as well.

Interesting read, thanks! My wife is a historian and teacher so I shared it with her as well.

I can't resist...here is another really interesting article on Imperial and handlebar Moustaches. Enjoy! :pipe:

I maintained a full beard for a few years but since moving from Pennsylvania to Florida (much hotter) I kept little to no facial hair besides a constant moustache. Per your chart here I basically let it grow almost to the 'walrus' before trimming it back to the 'chevron'. I'm currently, at my wife's request, trying to grow my beard out again.

Based on the chart, mine is definitely a Hungarian, with an added flare on the tips. I've always called it a Monopoly Man moustache. :pipe:

That was an interesting article, Rusty. I wouldn't have thought to put a walrus in with handlebars. I thought the conspicuous absence of training would have kept it out.

That was an interesting article, Rusty. I wouldn't have thought to put a walrus in with handlebars. I thought the conspicuous absence of training would have kept it out.
I tend to agree. A Walrus seems so unruly compared to the highly manicured handlebar.

Firstly, thanks for your service brother (4/101 deployed to DS with our DRB).
Secondly, we were told the same thing about shaving mainly to conserve water.

Top Bottom