What's new

Interested in loose leaf tea. What items do I need?

There are several methods for brewing loose leaf tea.

The flow-through baskets;
Wire or perforated balls; and
Empty tea bags.

The last one is good for a single cup, with nothing to wash out.
Tea shops sell packages of empty tea bags. Perfect for the office.
I have a tin of tea, and the bags in my desk drawer, just put in a teaspoon or so and use like a normal tea-bag.

There are many online stores to choose from if there is not one close to you.
Tealish
http://www.tealish.com/Default.asp

am I the only one here who just uses an old fashioned whistling kettle and a cup? I've tried these various balls and infusers and they're not for me. Sometimes I feel they alter the taste.

Unless you are away from home/in a rush I think a stove top kettle and cup is fine. A kettle works even if you only want 1 cup. just put less water.

I've had an Inginuitea (sp) for a couple years and really like it. Problem is I dropped it and one of the stand legs broke off. Now it is a PIA to use. If you get it be careful.

am I the only one here who just uses an old fashioned whistling kettle and a cup? I've tried these various balls and infusers and they're not for me. Sometimes I feel they alter the taste.

Unless you are away from home/in a rush I think a stove top kettle and cup is fine. A kettle works even if you only want 1 cup. just put less water.
I still use a stove top kettle. If I'm making one cup of loose leaf tea, I'll make it in a cup with a wire mesh teaball. If I'm making more than one cup, I just use a good old fashioned tea pot. I used to use a large tea ball to contain the leaves, but I've noticed that the flavor is really at its best if I just let them swirl loose in the pot. It's more of a pain to clean out, but the flavor is really that much better that it's worth it to me!

I have a very small tea room on the south coast in the UK and I have been using the same tea and coffee supplier from the time I started my little business, the company I use is The Kent and Sussex Tea and Coffee Company, they sell their loose teas to the public and also trade customers. I think now they have over 1000 different blends of Loose Teas, you can view the teas on their website, www.tea-and-coffee.com

Ad Astra

The Instigator
+2 on the stainless-steel basket. Allows the leaves to be themselves, unlike the teaballs etc. which squish them.

_1-jpg.718010

AA

An set of scales that can wight .00 of a gram is a nice way to dose out your tea..3gs is nice cup and can get 2-3 cups of tea..

A small pot and a strainer is the minimum. My current one holds about 20 oz which is right for breakfast. There are glass carafes that hold about 1 cup that also work. If I just want one cup I have a cup with a dedicated basket or a Piao i which works quite well.

Pardon my Englishness, but...

I don't think that anyone has mentioned a good old fashioned teapot, full stop. No internal basket, no nothing: you just put the tea in the bottom of the warmed pot, add hot/boiling water, and away you go. The advantage being that the leaves move freely in the pot rather than being cramped in a basket, expand more, and release more flavour. You then strain from the pot into the cup.

Don't over-complicate it - it's just tea.

Pardon my Englishness, but...

I don't think that anyone has mentioned a good old fashioned teapot, full stop. No internal basket, no nothing: you just put the tea in the bottom of the warmed pot, add hot/boiling water, and away you go. The advantage being that the leaves move freely in the pot rather than being cramped in a basket, expand more, and release more flavour. You then strain from the pot into the cup.

Don't over-complicate it - it's just tea.
Very true! The basket is convenient, but there are some teas that really need the room to expand. A pot, a teaspoon, and a strainer are all you really need. The rest just makes it more convenient...sometimes.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And now that we're using loose tea, imagine what sins teabags have been hiding all these years ... Stems. Bugs, perhaps. We'll never know!

AA

linty1

My wallet cries.
Tea basket is the way I do it, I don't really like my tea to be too strong, and I can always re-dip if I want another cup/stronger. I got mine at Davids Tea during there "semi annual sale", and it came with a lid to rest it on. It's easy to clean. I'm sure one of those tea dongles would work just as well. Oh I also have some empty tea bags that have a draw string, you just put in your tea, pull the bag closed and use like a tea bag.

Top Bottom