What's new

Interested in loose leaf tea. What items do I need?

I am interested in starting to drink loose leaf teas but don't know which items would be best for me. I am interested in making a cup at a time. I do not need to make a whole pot. I guess I am looking for a single serve tea maker. Also as far as monitoring temperature what is the best method? A basic thermometer?

Should I buy online or in person? I know this is probably frowned upon but there are tons of teavana stores and davids teas by me. I am also right by Manhattan which has Chinatown as well as other independent tea shops.

Thanks

single cup minimalist would be a small pot to brew in and a hand held (or cup held) screen/strainer or tea ball.

I've seen tea pots that fit inside a cup (a 1 cup unit) for storage

Contact the B&B vendor that Jason pointed you to for these items.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hard to top a gaiwan for ease of maintenance and versatility. Either to make individual brews you decant to a cup or for throwing a few leaves in and just sipping & topping up as you go about your day.

$CNV00022-4.jpg

$CIMG0341.jpg

My wife has one of the tea things from teavana that when its done you place it on a mug and pours into the cup it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
$image.jpg

I've tried several methods for single cups of loose leaf tea. My favorite is the single cup tea basket (I picked mine up from www.uptontea.com). I find the large size allows plenty of room for the tea leaves to float free in the water. I drink more black tea than white or green, so temperature isn't as much of an issue. When I brew white or green, I just give the water a little time to cool before brewing.

View attachment 549028

I've tried several methods for single cups of loose leaf tea. My favorite is the single cup tea basket (I picked mine up from www.uptontea.com). I find the large size allows plenty of room for the tea leaves to float free in the water. I drink more black tea than white or green, so temperature isn't as much of an issue. When I brew white or green, I just give the water a little time to cool before brewing.

I got one of these, it's my favorite way to make a cup of tea. It's slightly easier to clean then a tea ball and probably better (so they say) in allowing the tea to blossom and infuse. I hope I said all that right, the last time I had tea was I don't remember.

-jim

$AS40-PROFIle.gif I generally use one of these. It fits right over the top of a cup/mug. Easy to clean.

I got mine, and much of my favorite loose leaf tea and accessories from Upton Tea.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I know this is probably frowned upon but there are tons of teavana stores and davids teas by me.

Our resident Ouch will no doubt be by soon. He has an abiding derision for Teavana, as well as a regular recommendation for a tea infuser sold there (and Ouch tends to know whereof he speaks, and to not speak if he doesn't, so ... I'd say it's a safe bet.) This might be it.

I like this one best. Is the 1000ml worth it or the 500ml. They are essentially the same price.
If you want a big mug of tea, then the 1000ml is nice to have. Sometimes it takes 1.5 to 2 infusions to fill a 16 oz mug depending on how much water gets absorbed by the tea leaves. You can do two infusions in the 1000 ml Kamjove without emptying the glass vessel.

Cheers,
Steve
www.JAS-eTea.com

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Our resident Ouch will no doubt be by soon. He has an abiding derision for Teavana, as well as a regular recommendation for a tea infuser sold there (and Ouch tends to know whereof he speaks, and to not speak if he doesn't, so ... I'd say it's a safe bet.) This might be it.

As this month's moderator selected to be Ouch (figures- February is the shortest month), allow me to opine.

Even though every time the cash register at a Teavana opens a puppy is strangled, their Perfectea Maker is a fine product, though no different than the Teaze, Kamjove, or inginuiTEA models. They work for a wide variety of teas and are simplicity personified.

NYC's Chinatown isn't nearly as good as one would expect for tea, but Ten Ren (75 Mott) has good tea, albeit with very pushy help, while Sun's Organic Tea Shop (79 Bayard) is a tiny shop run by a charming lady that has some terrific finds.

A quarter pound of Ten's 4th grade green oolong is a great bargain for about eight bucks, and has been my daily drinker for over a decade. At Sun you can get some very good to excellent teas by the ounce at fairly reasonable prices.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Even though every time the cash register at a Teavana opens a puppy is strangled, their Perfectea Maker is a fine product, though no different than the Teaze ...

I had a vague recollection that the thing was called the "teaze" ... sort of a blending of "tea" and "easy" ... but I got it as "teasy" and googling that didin't help.

Top Bottom