What's new

Interest in synthetic brushes? Preliminary poll results.

Earlier this week, I posted a poll to determine members' interest in synthetic shaving brushes. The poll is identical to one I conducted 22 months ago and was intended, at least in part, to find out if member attitudes toward these brushes has changed over time.

The first poll was conducted after a number of us noted changes and improvements in these brushes since 2009. The attached graphics demonstrate the changes over time. The new poll is still active, and the figures included here represent a "snapshot" taken at 100 responses, which I believe is a statistically significant sample.

In general, the number of members expressing no interest in synthetic brushes is down significantly. The number indicating that they are tempted to buy a synth is down by an even greater amount. This might be explained by answers to the remaining survey questions.

Members are far more likely to have opinions about synthetic brushes. The number indicating that they would probably buy a synthetic brush is now up by nearly 25%, and the members who indicated that they already own one or more synths is up by close to 54%.

$Interest.jpg

1. Fewer members are expressing "No interested" in synthetic brushes. The number who indicated "Little or no interest" has declined by 9%.

2. The number who indicated they're "Tempted" to buy a synthetic brush is down by 36%. The reason for this may be explained by the answers to #4and #5, below.

3. The number expressing "No opinion" is down by 75%. Members are significantly better educated, and more have opinions one way or another.

4. The number expressing that they "Probably" will buy a synthetic brush in the near future is up by 22%.

5. The number reporting that they "Already Own" a synthetic brush is up by 54%.

$Interest chart.jpg

Do you have any additional thoughts about the poll—or possible insights or explanations concerning the data?

Last edited:
They can be tempting but I had a Kent synthetic and I couldn't take it seriously in comparison with my M&F and Semogue army. The synthetic just seemed way too soft with way too much backbone. I'm impressed with your statistics though.

They can be tempting but I had a Kent synthetic and I couldn't take it seriously in comparison with my M&F and Semogue army. The synthetic just seemed way too soft with way too much backbone. I'm impressed with your statistics though.

The new Plisson synth and Muhle V2 fibres are a MUCH better representation of what synths are capable of these days than the Kent version to be honest. I've used all 3 types.

Great job with the analysis Jim!

Although I have no interest in a synthetic brush and really undersatand why one would want one, I do applaud your effort in tracking the differences over time. Very professional. Even more than that I enjoyed reading your analysis and the breakdown of the figures. However, I still have no interest in synthetics.

I think this is the result of the quality of synthetic brushes getting better. I used an Omega Syntex which has bristles similar to a toothbrush. Then I got a Kent Silvertex which is a lot better quality with softer bristles and seeing companies like Muhle making synthetics show that the quality is continuing to get better.

Top Bottom