What's new

institut Karite?

I also have never had a problem getting a really good lather from Cade soap (or the shaving cream for that matter, however some people have had incredible problems with the cream in the past...)

Cade is my #1 favorite scent, nothing else I've ever smelled even comes close.

I'm not seeing where anyone says anything about their face getting irritated, but if so, shea butter isn't necessarily the culprit. The IK also contains lanolin, where the other main French shea butter soaps (PdP, Provence Sante) do not. Lanolin is an irritant for lots of folks.

You are right....that was my mistake. I read through the OP quickly and now see he has more of a problem with the scent alone, not irritation from the scent.

Cade works great and smells great... really not sure why some people have a hard time with it. Also Martin de Candre is a great soap, although the strong herbal fragrance can be off-putting for some; it also comes in unscented.

finally broke down and added IK to my den. now i can put it head to head with the others and see if it measures up or beats any of them.

finally broke down and added IK to my den. now i can put it head to head with the others and see if it measures up or beats any of them.

You should enjoy it. I've never actually lathered from the puck, but doing a quick rub on the face like a shave stick yields incredibly thick, rich lather with "top 5" after the shave skin feel.

You should enjoy it. I've never actually lathered from the puck, but doing a quick rub on the face like a shave stick yields incredibly thick, rich lather with "top 5" after the shave skin feel.

good to know. i'm not a big shave stick guy, but i have used my LaToja in the wood bowl like this, and it works wonderfully.

i'm starting to branch out a bit and now scuttle lather everything. creams still get the bowl/scuttle treatment, but soaps are mostly face lathered now. that seems to be the standard and i can see why now.

my softer soaps, i still do both (but mostly bowl lather them) and even with MdC i bowl/face mix it up. basically whatever i feel like that day and i always get a good shave these days, so all is well.

Last edited:
I would agree that D.R. Harris Marlborough might work for you if your like woody scents. It is an excellent soap with great performance and a wonderful scent. I liked it so much I purchased the AS and cologne. The Castle Forbes Cedar/Sandalwood scent cream is another wonderfully woody scent and the performance is outstanding. Travel size jars are available from WCS if you do not want to commit to the larger size jar.

Regards,

Doug

Maybe "horrific" is too strong:lol: Cade always worked just fine for me. Not quite up to MdC, but a nice soap overall.

Ken

+1

CADE is a great soap. Some people struggle with it. It's not cella, it doesn't lather on its own. But when done properly its a fantastic soap and the smell is something I think you would very much enjoy

IK is on deck in a few days, so i whipped out the SOC Boar and tried a test before putting it to use again, as it's been a while since i used it.

scent was ok, a bit flowery, kind of MWF crossed with rose, at least to my nose.

app time was similar to MWF, maybe a bit less

later was thick and creamy. held lots of water, but no airy bubble and held up a while before i drained the scuttle.

normally i'd face lather it, but for the test i bowl lather.

$IMG_5224.jpg

IK is on deck in a few days, so i whipped out the SOC Boar and tried a test before putting it to use again, as it's been a while since i used it.

scent was ok, a bit flowery, kind of MWF crossed with rose, at least to my nose.

app time was similar to MWF, maybe a bit less

later was thick and creamy. held lots of water, but no airy bubble and held up a while before i drained the scuttle.

normally i'd face lather it, but for the test i bowl lather.

View attachment 251839

I'd pay someone like you to make my lather daily lol :001_tongu.

P

pdillon

good to know. i'm not a big shave stick guy, but i have used my LaToja in the wood bowl like this, and it works wonderfully.

i'm starting to branch out a bit and now scuttle lather everything. creams still get the bowl/scuttle treatment, but soaps are mostly face lathered now. that seems to be the standard and i can see why now.

my softer soaps, i still do both (but mostly bowl lather them) and even with MdC i bowl/face mix it up. basically whatever i feel like that day and i always get a good shave these days, so all is well.

I think you meant "not scuttle lather everything"?

Anyway, I recently made that change too: creams in the scuttle but my soaps are being face lathered. I'm still learning, but I'm finding I get the best results this way. I was using La Toja Manantiales in the wood bowl consistently, but not getting anything special until I started face lathering. Then, boom. Great stuff.

How does the IK compare to the LTM in the wood bowl? As they are both veggie soaps, I think once I use up my puck, I will replace it with the IK.

I would recommend L'Occitane CADE. It is one of my favorites. Some seem to think that it is finicky but in reality, it is a very well made shaving soap. If people have problem with the performance of it, they either need to use more product or add more water.

I think you meant "not scuttle lather everything"?

Anyway, I recently made that change too: creams in the scuttle but my soaps are being face lathered. I'm still learning, but I'm finding I get the best results this way. I was using La Toja Manantiales in the wood bowl consistently, but not getting anything special until I started face lathering. Then, boom. Great stuff.

How does the IK compare to the LTM in the wood bowl? As they are both veggie soaps, I think once I use up my puck, I will replace it with the IK.

yes, my post should have said i do NOT scuttle lather everything.

face lather = soaps & sticks
bowl lather = creams

sorry for the confusion and thanks for clarifiying, much appreciated.

I haven't ever used IK, but I do own Pre De Province and Provence Santé Green Tea. And while they aren't my favorite, I do really like them. Great soap easy to lather. And the smell of both is light. I think both are very good soaps.

Top Bottom