What's new

Institut Karite shave soap, Shea butter??

For all you hard soap fans...

The IK soap packaging boasts 25% shea butter cream and yet the ingredients list has no mention of shea butter!

Any thoughts on what this could mean?
Is there zero shea butter in the soap?

For all you hard soap fans...

The IK soap packaging boasts 25% shea butter cream and yet the ingredients list has no mention of shea butter!

Any thoughts on what this could mean?
Is there zero shea butter in the soap?

I think this is down to EU labeling requirements. Shea butter is in the ingredients list under another name such as Butyrospermum Parkii.

I think this is down to EU labeling requirements. Shea butter is in the ingredients list under another name such as Butyrospermum Parkii.

B-Parkii doesn't exist on the list.
That's actually what I was looking for as most also makers use this term instead of shea butter.

There seems to be some change.
Old package:
ik-2.jpg

New package:
ik-1.jpg
Notice there is no "25% Shea" claim on the new package.

Mankind.co.uk has this list:
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua(Water), Isopropyl Lanolate, Palm Kernel Acid, Butyrospermum (Shea Butter ) Parkii, Parfum(Fragrance), Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-33, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Polysorbate 60, Petrolatum, Dimethicone Copolyol, Citronellol, Amylcinnamyl Alcohol, Geraniol.

Institut Karite website has this list:
POTASSIUM PALMATE, SODIUM PALMATE, POTASSIUM STEARATE, POTASSIUM PALM KERNELATE, GLYCERIN, SODIUM STEARATE, SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, AQUA (WATER), PALM KERNEL ACID, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, CETYL ALCOHOL, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), ALLANTOIN, CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), STEARIC ACID, POLYSORBATE 60, PALMITIC ACID, CETEARETH-33, PEG-12 DIMETHICONE, PARAFFIN, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM, CERA MICROCRISTALLINA, PENTASODIUM PENTETATE, TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CITRONELLOL, HYDROXY CITRONELLAL, CINNAMYL ALCOHOL

I am not sure what to think. Some reformulation? IK is deriving stearic acid from the shea butter, but not including shea butter as a moisturizing ingredient?

:confused1

There seems to be some change.
Old package:
View attachment 1054221

New package:
View attachment 1054222
Notice there is no "25% Shea" claim on the new package.

Mankind.co.uk has this list:
Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua(Water), Isopropyl Lanolate, Palm Kernel Acid, Butyrospermum (Shea Butter ) Parkii, Parfum(Fragrance), Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-33, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Polysorbate 60, Petrolatum, Dimethicone Copolyol, Citronellol, Amylcinnamyl Alcohol, Geraniol.

Institut Karite website has this list:
POTASSIUM PALMATE, SODIUM PALMATE, POTASSIUM STEARATE, POTASSIUM PALM KERNELATE, GLYCERIN, SODIUM STEARATE, SODIUM PALM KERNELATE, AQUA (WATER), PALM KERNEL ACID, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, CETYL ALCOHOL, PARFUM (FRAGRANCE), ALLANTOIN, CI 77891 (TITANIUM DIOXIDE), STEARIC ACID, POLYSORBATE 60, PALMITIC ACID, CETEARETH-33, PEG-12 DIMETHICONE, PARAFFIN, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM, CERA MICROCRISTALLINA, PENTASODIUM PENTETATE, TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE, HEXYL CINNAMAL, ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE, CITRONELLOL, HYDROXY CITRONELLAL, CINNAMYL ALCOHOL

I am not sure what to think. Some reformulation? IK is deriving stearic acid from the shea butter, but not including shea butter as a moisturizing ingredient?

:confused1

Thanks for this info!!

It's very strange because on the front of the box I have states the 25% shea butter cream but the ingredients list is the reformulated one above, without the shea butter!!

I wonder of they reformulated and forgot to remove the "25% shea butter cream" from the front of the box!!

On the old box it doesn't say 25% Shea butter.
The correct translation is "contain cream at 25% Shea butter".
It means the soap contain a cream and in the cream there is 25% Shea butter, but it doesn't say how much of this cream is in the soap.

It's more of a marketing plot, even if I read the soap is actually good.

Reactions: nav
On the old box it doesn't say 25% Shea butter.
The correct translation is "contain cream at 25% Shea butter".
It means the soap contain a cream and in the cream there is 25% Shea butter, but it doesn't say how much of this cream is in the soap.

It's more of a marketing plot, even if I read the soap is actually good.

Hmmm this could very well be the case because there is no mention of shea butter in the ingredients.

I like it. It compares to Pre De Provence and L'Ocitane. If you're not familiar with those two it also compress to Tabac and Lea. Five of my favorite soaps.

I like it. It compares to Pre De Provence and L'Ocitane. If you're not familiar with those two it also compress to Tabac and Lea. Five of my favorite soaps.

Another great example of YMMW! When I read this sentence I started questioning your mental health until I remembered we have YMMW :D

I tried L'Occitane...I like the scent, I really do. But everything else about this soap worked HORRIBLY for me. Could not get nothing but foamy non-slick dissapating abomination of a lather and my face would burn from fragrance used in it. On the other hand I love everything about Tabac, so I hope you understand why I consider this comparison a criminal act and insult to one of my 2 favourite soaps :D

To defend LOccitane - I have really hard water, and maybe it just isn't formulated to preform in such conditions and also I never had good results with non tallow soap (not prejudice, I tried a few non tallows and they dissapointed me every time)

Another great example of YMMW! When I read this sentence I started questioning your mental health until I remembered we have YMMW :D

I tried L'Occitane...I like the scent, I really do. But everything else about this soap worked HORRIBLY for me. Could not get nothing but foamy non-slick dissapating abomination of a lather and my face would burn from fragrance used in it. On the other hand I love everything about Tabac, so I hope you understand why I consider this comparison a criminal act and insult to one of my 2 favourite soaps :D

To defend LOccitane - I have really hard water, and maybe it just isn't formulated to preform in such conditions and also I never had good results with non tallow soap (not prejudice, I tried a few non tallows and they dissapointed me every time)

Try it with a synthetic brush if you haven't already. I wasn't a fan of l'occitane until I used it with a synthetic brush. Now it compares well with the other French soaps I have (PdP, IK, PS).

Try it with a synthetic brush if you haven't already. I wasn't a fan of l'occitane until I used it with a synthetic brush. Now it compares well with the other French soaps I have (PdP, IK, PS).

No thank you, fragrance still burns my face, I will not shell out 15€ for a faceburner again

Top Bottom