What's new

Institut Karite for $3.99

That's what I found at T.J. Maxx this afternoon while my wife was doing some shopping. I have never used it before, but I have heard of it and just couldn't pass it up at that price. I did a test lather when I got home, and it whipped up a fine lather without much effort. The scent reminds me of other traditional "soapy" smelling soaps like Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat. It's also mild enough that it won't interfere with your after shave or cologne.

Tomorrow I'll see how well it works.

By the way, they only had one puck available, so I'm not sure how likely you would be to find one at your local Marshall's or T.J. Maxx.

I 3017'd a puck not too long ago. Good performance. You have to like the powdery scent. $4 is a great price. I paid 4x that years ago from WCS.

I have now used this soap for a few shaves. My first shave was quite disappointing. It didn't seem very protective, and uncharacteristically I wound up with several weepers. The next day I used a different soap and also had problems, which led me to conclude that I most likely had a bad blade. After putting in a new blade, I have had several excellent shaves with Institut Karite. It whip up into a very thick and copious lather which is, in fact, quite protective and post shave is also very good. The scent is, as always, a matter of preference, but I enjoy it. it's the kind of scent that is easy to live with, and I can see myself using this soap quite a lot.

Top Bottom