What's new

Instant Thermometer Recommendations?

We use the Thermapen at home. It's very good and built solid.
I suspect you will hear a lot of replies stating the Thermapen.

You really can't go wrong with a Thermapen. Watch out for their deals and open box sales, which happen quite often.

I went with the Thermopops instead of the Thermopens, they're not as fast but plenty good for my uses. I have a red one dedicated to use as a meat thermometer and a black one that is a water temp probe in an open kettle espresso machine I have. You can rotate the display in 90 degree steps and set it for Celsius and Fahrenheit.

$5889_la_peppina_thermopop.jpg

Last edited:
I also have thermopen and thermopop and honestly for the money you can't go wrong with either, it just depends on your budget. The Thermopops are a bargain IMO for the price.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've a couple, a ThermaPen "Classic"and a CDN knockoff http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEADK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 that costs 1/6 as much ..

The latter is slower to read, resulting in that old burnt hair smell if used whilst doing steaks at 800 or so on the BGE (it says 6 seconds to read), while the Thermapen is rated to 3 seconds. The difference can burn some arm hair! But if you are doing something less intense, not a big difference. Both of mine read within 1º F of each other, the ThermaPen settles quicker by, yup, 3 seconds. The CDN has no moving parts, which is usually a plus, while the Thermapen is a folding design, but only marginally more compact even folded

So they both work well (the CDN is at least a decade old, the Thermapen maybe 5 years). One costs about $15 shipped, the other $84 shipped conus (classic Thermapen). I'd go with the CDN

Just ordered a Thermapen over the weekend. I never thought I would be this excited over an instant read thermometer. Can't wait to use it.

Has anyone mentioned Thermapen yet? We have two and love them.

I started out with one for the BBQ and have since added a dedicated kitchen one. Everyone laughed at my $80 thermometer on my wish list...they stopped laughing when they saw it in use.

Last edited:
Yeah, Thermapen! And the pops! And don't forget the pen that can go underwater--that's how I know my dishwasher won't quite hit even 160F.

The new Thermapens have a rotating display so it never shows upside down. Or is that left handed?

I went with the Thermopops instead of the Thermopens, they're not as fast but plenty good for my uses. I have a red one dedicated to use as a meat thermometer and a black one that is a water temp probe in an open kettle espresso machine I have. You can rotate the display in 90 degree steps and set it for Celsius and Fahrenheit.

View attachment 605325
Nice to see you have a can of French Market coffee and chicory on the counter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom