What's new

Instant Pot Users.... Get in here

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Call it Covid - 19 retail therapy.

My first Instapot arrived today. 3 quart 9 in 1. It falls in between the size of two non-electric pressure cookers I own. I have a suspicion over the ability of complex electronics to endure but I am pretty impressed by the thickness of the stainless steel inner pot. Just ran a steam cycle to start to get rid of the new smell . . . oils and other stuff from manufacturing that needs to be gone before I cook with it.

I've reread this whole thread and I've got some ideas.

I have not re read this entire thread... But your going to love it.

I used mine to make the best turkey stock/broth I ever made this weekend, then turned some of that into the best turkey soup I've ever made, and still have 5 l of stock left over (I used a few of my last stock/broth and some water as well). Going to be a lot of turkey risotto in the near future.

• Love
Reactions: CCR
Call it Covid - 19 retail therapy.

My first Instapot arrived today. 3 quart 9 in 1. It falls in between the size of two non-electric pressure cookers I own. I have a suspicion over the ability of complex electronics to endure but I am pretty impressed by the thickness of the stainless steel inner pot. Just ran a steam cycle to start to get rid of the new smell . . . oils and other stuff from manufacturing that needs to be gone before I cook with it.

I've reread this whole thread and I've got some ideas.

I used stovetop pressure cookers for many years, and have replaced them as well as crock pots with Instant Pots. The Duo Plus IP is a real workhorse for me, Yogurt, rice, quickly reheating vegetables or quick heating of frozen veggies. The little 3qt. gets lots of use.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I did some boiled eggs . . . 12. They came from a small garden centre up the street . . . Picked them up this morning as they were sold out yesterday. Laid in the last 12 hours or so. 11, in this jar pickling away, as my wife wanted one and so it turned out I'd not be able to put another in.

I have to . . . have to . . . leave it alone in the fridge for a couple of days.
In a pickle.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I must say I am impressed. Frozen chicken breasts to tender in about 30 minutes. Added a a cup of chicken stock and a diced onion. 10 to 15 minutes to preheat, 5 minutes pressure cooking, and 10 minutes natural release. I added the cooked onions to a frying pan (not the chicken stock) added some red sweet peppers and mushrooms added some store bought butter chicken sauce and diced the chicken and added that . . . just so it was all coated.

Served on a bed of sticky rice made separately in a rice maker.

Yumm.

This gadget still delivers. I have been using mine quite frequently. Today I made this simple pork and potatoes supper, inspired by this video on youtube:

I changed it a bit to suit my ingredients: fresh basil instead of dried, white potatoes instead of rice, tapioca starch instead of corn starch, just one garlic clove, no pepper.

Delicious, and it only takes 30 min from start to finish. Crazy easy. I considered taking pictures when I sat down, but 0.5 sec later, I was digging already... Tomorrow, I promise, because I am making this again. Lemon+basil+pork= delish. Who knew?
5min high pressure, 10min natural release. That is all. No mess, no smell...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We had some boned-out chicken thighs lying around the freezer (extra from some chicken sausage I made a little while back), so I poked around and found something rather useful with the Instant Pot.

Just season them in whatever manner turns you on (this time was S&P, smoked paprika, zaat’ar, cumin), and fry them for a few minutes on each side using the sautée function. Take them out, pour in about a cup of liquid (I had some bird stock handy, but I expect even water will do), put in the IP trivet, and put the thighs on the trivet. Pressure cook them on the poultry setting for 10 minutes. Allow a natural release for 5 minutes, and it was taco time!

I find the instant pot is perfect for the days I don't think about dinner or take anything out of the freezer and everyone is looking at me asking "what is for dinner?"... If I have a bit more time... like they ask the questions around lunch (or earlier) I might change my answer to sous vide. Especially if the IP is currently being used to make yogurt.

Been giving a lot of consideration into buying an Instant Pot. I do a ton of cooking and typically use a dutch oven or crock pot with good results. I've never used a pressure cooker however.

So my questions to you are...

1- Is an Instant Pot worth the $85 USD?
2- What are your favorite recipies.

I've been considering one for hot ferments. For example: I love making Yogurt, but it's such a PITA to hold the right temperature. 110F is the golden temperature +/- a gnat's proverbial a** and the punchline is that you have to hold the temperature accurately for up to 24 hours depending on the type of yogurt and culture you're using. Picklers seem to like them too. etc. (though I really don't understand why. But my pickles are room temp fermented so I have a very narrow understanding of pickling despite having grown up Scandi eating pickles at least 2x per day, haha.)

It depends on what you want to do. The instant pot has the advantage of being able to set the temperature and just walk away. That's a very attractive feature to me, but somehow... I've yet to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been considering one for hot ferments. For example: I love making Yogurt, but it's such a PITA to hold the right temperature. 110F is the golden temperature +/- a gnat's proverbial a** and the punchline is that you have to hold the temperature accurately for up to 24 hours depending on the type of yogurt and culture you're using. Picklers seem to like them too. etc.

It depends on what you want to do. The instant pot has the advantage of being able to set the temperature and just walk away. That's a very attractive feature to me, but somehow... I've yet to pull the trigger.

It is marvelous for yogurt. If you scald your milk, you can scald and ferment on the same pot.

I ferment overnight. Just stir in the culture, push a few buttons, and go to bed.

I did some boiled eggs . . . 12. They came from a small garden centre up the street . . . Picked them up this morning as they were sold out yesterday. Laid in the last 12 hours or so. 11, in this jar pickling away, as my wife wanted one and so it turned out I'd not be able to put another in.

I have to . . . have to . . . leave it alone in the fridge for a couple of days.
View attachment 1103953

Y.U.M. !!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
We had some boned-out chicken thighs lying around the freezer (extra from some chicken sausage I made a little while back), so I poked around and found something rather useful with the Instant Pot.

Just season them in whatever manner turns you on (this time was S&P, smoked paprika, zaat’ar, cumin), and fry them for a few minutes on each side using the sautée function. Take them out, pour in about a cup of liquid (I had some bird stock handy, but I expect even water will do), put in the IP trivet, and put the thighs on the trivet. Pressure cook them on the poultry setting for 10 minutes. Allow a natural release for 5 minutes, and it was taco time!

I do this alot, particularly when the grill isn't an option due to weather. Works for breasts too, and I've found that the water (I always just use tap water) makes some very tasty soup stock. Chicken comes out super moist as you might expect. With a boneless breast i go 4+4+4 - 4 minutes each side on saute, then just 4 minutes under pressure. Throw some shrooms in if you have them ..

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
It is marvelous for yogurt.

Yes, it is! We use our Max for yogurt and skyr.

Two quarts of A2 milk, run the yogurt ("yo9T") cycle. Take out the pot to let it cool down to pitching temp, stir in the culture and put 'er back in the pot for about three hours.

We strain the yogurt a little, just enough to make it "semi-Greek." We strain skyr a lot more, to the consistency of soft cream cheese. The skyr also gets used to culture cream for butter. The dog gets most of the whey. I get the buttermilk!

One or the other, every week.

O.H.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The IP has a bunch of button s and costs more. When the seal fails it floods the electronics requiring a new unit

Okay I'm late to the instant pot party, but what is the difference between an instant pot and a pressure cooker?
An Instant Pot is a specific brand of electric programmable pressure cookers, but I don't think this thread excludes other brands.

Making a pot of Guinness infused beef stew. Perfect for those damp, dark and cold fall evenings.

Top Bottom