What's new

Instant Pot Users.... Get in here

My wife gifted me an IP for Christmas. I went out and got another stainless pot with target gift cards. On the water test I made hard boiled eggs. They turned out good. The whites had good texture. They pealed easily when warm but the next day not so much. When I do hard boiled eggs on the stove top I puncture the large end of the egg with a seam ripper. It helps the eggs peal and reduces cracking. I’ll try a couple punctured in the IP and see how that works next time.

Second use I made Asian beef stew with daikon and cross cut beef shanks. Last night I made French dip sandwiches and it was great! My 12 year old loved it!

Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich Recipe - No. 2 Pencil

Before xmas i made pot roast in the instapot, saved the left over meat and made shredded beef chimichangas (baked),
For dinner, some refried beans, and topped with queso sauce . Heres a pic after they were done.
proxy.php

Pretty simple, and very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My kid brother back in the old country just acquired one and was raving about it to me yesterday on our weekly FaceTime. Well, he's usually raving but this time about his Instant Pot. The one he has is the 7 in 1 version and according to Amazon UK, about GBP100, on sale from GBP160. I had a look online here and they don't seem to have got this far east as yet. Maybe when I am in UK later in the year I might pick one up and hand carry it back.

Made Steel Cut Oats in the IP this morning. Tossed in some blueberry's and cinnamon, pressure cooked on high for 6 minutes, naturally released steam and WOW. Best oat's ever.

I use my Instant Pot for stock all the time, chicken, turkey mostly, but sometimes just plane veggie. I save the peelings from carrots, onions, peppers, cellery in a gallon ziplock bag and straight up make stock from that. Garlic and ginger peelings go in there as well, but I avoid things like broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, etc.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I use my Instant Pot for stock all the time, chicken, turkey mostly, but sometimes just plane veggie. I save the peelings from carrots, onions, peppers, cellery in a gallon ziplock bag and straight up make stock from that. Garlic and ginger peelings go in there as well, but I avoid things like broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, etc.

I've been doing the peelings in the freezer thing for veggie stock for some while, but processing them in a cookpot. The IP should make shorter work of it & no extra wash-up - how long do you pressure cook the leavings?

My chickens and ducks are beginning to lay like crazy... Just got done peeling a batch of hard boiled eggs to be used in the coming week. Not fancy but it is pretty no-fuss.

Ruckin

My chickens and ducks are beginning to lay like crazy... Just got done peeling a batch of hard boiled eggs to be used in the coming week. Not fancy but it is pretty no-fuss.

Ruckin

You've got a source of eggs as fresh as fresh can be, do you find pressure cooking the eggs makes them easy to peel then just a simple boil on top of the stove? Hard boiled duck eggs any different?
dave

garyg

You've got a source of eggs as fresh as fresh can be, do you find pressure cooking the eggs makes them easy to peel then just a simple boil on top of the stove? Hard boiled duck eggs any different?
dave

I've tried IP eggs, didn't find them any different, certainly not better, than steamed ones - but better than boiling.

I use a vegetable steamer insert for perfect HB eggs - 12 minutes of steam for out of the fridge size Large - that are easy to peel and retain some moistness in their yolks. It is actually faster than using the IP as an inch of water in a saucepan comes to a boil faster than the IP gets to pressure then releases. Ice bath at the end is the same time-

I've been doing the peelings in the freezer thing for veggie stock for some while, but processing them in a cookpot. The IP should mak
I've been doing the peelings in the freezer thing for veggie stock for some while, but processing them in a cookpot. The IP should make shorter work of it & no extra wash-up - how long do you pressure cook the leavings?
I go about 30 to 40 minutes. If I throw in a chicken bones, I usually do 2 carcasses, then I go for more time 1.5 to 2.0 hours. That's not including the warm up and the natural release. With all that water it's going to take quite a while, but it's still fast. My last turkey stalk was amazing, and it was just thrown together with stuff that was in the crisper that was getting limp. I save parsley stems and other herb parts you'd just throw away, like rosemary stems, etc. 2 to three bay leaves, salt and pepper to taste and it's good.

I've tried IP eggs, didn't find them any different, certainly not better, than steamed ones - but better than boiling.

I use a vegetable steamer insert for perfect HB eggs - 12 minutes of steam for out of the fridge size Large - that are easy to peel and retain some moistness in their yolks. It is actually faster than using the IP as an inch of water in a saucepan comes to a boil faster than the IP gets to pressure then releases. Ice bath at the end is the same time-

I'm doing much the same for soft boiled eggs, cold, large eggs added to ~1/2" of boiling water, covered/cooked for 6.5 minutes, then out into an ice bath for a couple minutes, peeled. My wife peeled the ones for tonight's dinner, she's much more patient, mostly clean peel. Eggs bought at the farmer's market on Thursday.

file2-11_B&Bsize600.jpg

dave

For hard boiling eggs. I find the duck eggs harder to peel but that may be related to how much tougher the shells are. I guess the IP is easier than boiling. My guess is if I put them in a steamer basket it would be as fast. The one thing the IP has is I can put the eggs in and not pay attention. Next time I orbit through the kitchen I can take them out and peel them. I wont wander off if I am doing something on the stovetop.

Ruckin.

garyg

Huh, I'd worry about not getting them in the ice bath after whichever cooking method, but both are quick so unless me alzheimers is strong that day should work out ok

I've been using my Instant Pot to make Hot Sauce.

It works exceedingly well!

You can google or youtube the exact recipes, but here's what I've been throwing in:

Peppers (Habanero or Fresno), Carrots, Onion, Garlic, Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Roasted Tomatoes.

Cook under 'manual mode' pressure for only 3 minutes. Then unplug and let it depressurize one its own.

Once its cooled way down to about room temp, throw the contents into a food processor and blend it up!

The entire process is quick and easy.

Wow, thanks! Will have to try this. We do ramen bowls from scratch (except the noodles) and the egg is the one thing I know I can improve. Yolk goes from runny to too dry, I never seem to be able to quite nail it via boiling.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I finally tried caramelized onions in the Instant Pot, and that is the first thing I've tried that did not go well at all.

Initially, I used three, medium, yellow onions and followed the Simple Eats protocol of sweating/softening the onions with some butter and salt, then cooking them on high pressure for 20 minutes. According to the recipe, I was to have something that just needed a few minutes more of stirring around to finish off. However, what I got was a (rather lovely) onion broth. Since I had seen other recipes say to cook for up to 35 minutes, I went ahead and put the lid back on and cooked at high pressure for another 15 minutes. The result was another (rather lovely) onion broth with a deeper color and flavor.

Just to see where this went, I cooked that broth down to something to the point it needed stirring to avoid sticking, and then I got that to the color and flavor of what I want from caramelized onions. All that took around 40 minutes or so, and I eventually wound up with a caramelized onion paste. That stuff was pretty tasty and could have some use (maybe a filling or spread), but that's not what I'm usually looking for when I want some caramelized onions.

Not to mention that it hardly saved me a lick of time or trouble. Even if I were to back out the extra time for starting and venting the IP for a second go-round, it still would take damn near 90 minutes and a lot of stirring, and that was to get something with fairly limited use. I don't see the advantage at all. Considering the product, it's not even worth saving a burner. A pressure cooker just doesn't allow that moisture to cook off.

Has anyone else tried this with better results?

Top Bottom