What's new

Instant Pot Users.... Get in here

Anyone doing soft and/or hard boiled eggs in one? Suppose to provide the solution (pressure cooking is) for ease of peeling of fresh eggs.
dave

Anyone doing soft and/or hard boiled eggs in one? Suppose to provide the solution (pressure cooking is) for ease of peeling of fresh eggs.
dave

Just the 2 of us, so not worth it to take it out. With an induction stovetop my water boils in 30 seconds. Then set the timer for 10 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just the 2 of us, so not worth it to take it out. With an induction stovetop my water boils in 30 seconds. Then set the timer for 10 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time is not the issue here, my farm fresh eggs are an utter disaster/total fail to peel if cooked like this, our norm as well. I've read pressure cooking results in the white and shell separating while cooking under pressure resulting in even the freshest of egg, as @CincyDawg described, 'peeling itself'. I've never tried or spoken with anyone before that's tried it.
Don't own an Instant Pot but am intrigued by this alone, just not sure it would be worth it for our cooking schemes.
dave

Time is not the issue here, my farm fresh eggs are an utter disaster/total fail to peel if cooked like this, our norm as well. I've read pressure cooking results in the white and shell separating while cooking under pressure resulting in even the freshest of egg, as @CincyDawg described, 'peeling itself'. I've never tried or spoken with anyone before that's tried it.
Don't own an Instant Pot but am intrigued by this alone, just not sure it would be worth it for our cooking schemes.
dave
Well, if you like making chicken/turkey soup with leftovers, beef stew, pot roast, and tons other items, then its worth it, the crock pot will gather dust. Anything you like to make, google making xxxx in an insta pot..
Theres probably a recipe. Flan, yogurt, its endless. Ill make with the leftover shredded beef, chimi's.
I do my ribs in it , and baste them after ward when rdy to eat. it can go on and on. Again just the 2 of us so it is not every day for me, also my wife does leftovers maybe once, so I cant cook too much at once.
I find after boiling my eggs I put 4-5 ice cubes in a bowl w water and put the eggs n there for a minute to quick cool..
It may not work as well for farm fresh eggs, worth a try.

Thanks @pault. My wife and daughter will do leftovers but i'm super hardcore in your wife's camp, better to not have enough then to have leftovers unless i can turn it into an entirely different meal. I'll bend the rule for soup but only one time then i'm finished with it.

Have an old school pressure with a rocking weight that was used for a few years to cook up batches of chickpeas for the hummus i took everyday to work as part of my lunch.

Never had a crock pot or slow cooker.

Rice cooker died a few weeks ago and am currently cooking rice a la pasta.

The idea of diy yogurt appeals, much savings in making your own, are you able to make various styles eg. Greek or Baltic or whatever else may be out there?

And of course the eggs.

The fence i sit on...

dave

Thanks @pault. My wife and daughter will do leftovers but i'm super hardcore in your wife's camp, better to not have enough then to have leftovers unless i can turn it into an entirely different meal. I'll bend the rule for soup but only one time then i'm finished with it.

Have an old school pressure with a rocking weight that was used for a few years to cook up batches of chickpeas for the hummus i took everyday to work as part of my lunch.

Never had a crock pot or slow cooker.

Rice cooker died a few weeks ago and am currently cooking rice a la pasta.

The idea of diy yogurt appeals, much savings in making your own, are you able to make various styles eg. Greek or Baltic or whatever else may be out there?

And of course the eggs.

The fence i sit on...

dave
I never did yogurt, but i did do flan and came out right. as far as recipes, there endless with all the blogs, just look for something that appeals.
Nothing wrong with old pressure cookers, it just does have the electronics to walk away and forget it. I used a 1920 one for many years.
if you havent tried, give the eggs a quick ice water bath for 60 seconds or so. and try to peel. Eggs are still hot and shells come off pretty easy.

It can be done. First time I tried using the IP for rouladen (normally just let it simmer in a deep electric frying pan) I cooked it under pressure for a bit too long. Ended up with beef, bacon, carrot, caper, pickle and onion soup; still tasty but totally devoid of any texture. Had a flash forward of what my dining will be like when I'm sans teeth.

Was a little intimidated of it at the start since I was raised to fear pressure cookers. Whenever Mom broke out the pressure cooker (old style avocado colored Presto with the little whirly bit on top) she wouldn't let anyone in the kitchen lest "it blow up and kill everyone". Weird things we remember from childhood.

But yes, IPs are a great addition to the kitchen and a very versatile machine.

I tried cooking fresh caught Lake Michigan Salmon in the IP a few months ago. It was the only thing I couldn't eat that came out of that IP. I'm sure I screwed up somehow.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Yes, you can do whatever yogurt you want. It's just a matter of getting the culture you want.

I tried eggs in the instant pot and I found them relatively easy to peel. It works well for me to make 6-10 to take with me to work. I collected 5 chicken and two duck eggs this morning so I need to something with my egg surplus in the next day or two.

Tonight I was going to cook some short ribs... but forgot to take them out of the freezer. No problem! IP to the rescue... Chop up an onion, toss in some garlic. Then drop the frozen ribs in the pot, and add a little sauce with red wine, coconut amino, Worcestershire sauce and a couple other things. Set the timer and poof in an hour (some of that time was steaming some broccoli and cooking rice) dinner is ready. SWMBO was kind of surprised that I was able to go from frozen to food in an hour.

I have found that frozen pot roast works well too. Although I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I seem to be getting good at cooking frozen food - it just sounds bad.

Ruckin.

I just got one recently.

First use: Baby potatoes with rosemary and garlic. First I sauteed them in oil, then I added some beef broth and pressure cooked them. They came out perfect.

Second use: Homemade chili. I haven't made chili in years, so I don't have a great recipe just yet, but it came out a lot better than the canned chili that I normally eat.

Third use: I haven't made anything yet, but it's been a few months since I've last made curry. I'm thinking about cooking a Korean style yellow curry with beef short rib, potato, carrot, and onion.

Well, if you like making chicken/turkey soup with leftovers, beef stew, pot roast, and tons other items, then its worth it, the crock pot will gather dust. Anything you like to make, google making xxxx in an insta pot..

I find after boiling my eggs I put 4-5 ice cubes in a bowl w water and put the eggs n there for a minute to quick cool..
It may not work as well for farm fresh eggs, worth a try.

It was worth a try! Tried with a couple eggs bought at the farmers market today and they peeled perfectly, two for two!
Thanks for the tip!
dave

Although I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I seem to be getting good at cooking frozen food - it just sounds bad.

Ruckin.

Not at all. Before I bought an IP, a lot of the food in my freezer went to waste. Now I cook up interesting and sometimes strange combinations with leftovers in the IP.

Admittedly, sometimes it's a bit too interesting for my taste.

I’m a big fan of frozen to finished chicken breasts. Run for ten minutes with chicken stock so they will separate then run for 30 minutes and done. Falls apart and not over cooked. I do this for “Easy on the Stomach Chicken and Rice”. Sweet baby rays in place of the stock for pulled chicken.

Just tossed in some tri tip, mushrooms, onion, garlic, splash of wine and some beef broth. Add a bit of leftover rice and some steamed veg and poof dinner was served.

Ruckin.

Wassup! I just got one for Christmas after hearing many good things from my sister-in-law for some time. It was a busy "break" so I have only prepped it and learned the basics; I've yet to make anything yet, but am planning a turkey stew/soup and butternut squash soup in the next few days.
This thread looks to be a great way to spend time socializing on B&B while avoiding all those darn shaving posts during sabbatical (Hey, @ruckin!)

I do turkey/chicken noodle soup all the time. My process is .
If I dont have stock, I either add some store stock and water + boulion or Just water and boulion,, so for 8 cups + water + 10 boulion cubes,
i always add 2 cubes more than the liquid amount.
if the turkey or chicken is cooked I leave it out. I then add to the liquid cut up portions of
carrots, celery, barley (optional) parsley. (add poultry cut up if raw, leave it out if already cooked i.e. (leftovers).
Put it on soup setting make sure the pressure **** is set right. let it cook, when done unplug and let it de pressureize,, (20-30) mins.
Take cover off, and add diced in already thawed cooked(leftover ) chicken-turkey. then stir it up,
at the same time I boil my water (in another pan) about 10 mins before pressure is enuf to take off cover.
Throw in a proportional amount of egg noodles and cook them. When done I drain the noodles, put them back in the big 10 quart pan, and then I add the soup from the insta pot . stir and your done, add any other seasoning you want, more pepper or salt if you need it. It will take some time to cool down enuf to eat.
Or you can google many recipes out there. I do a lot of soups and stews.
Beef stew 2 packets of stew seasonings, at least 1 lb of browned stew meat, carrots, celery, onion,potatoes, and a bay leaf. (barley optional)
Put on stew setting, times up it is done. Let pressure come down. If packets say 3 cups water I add 4 , so 8 cups for 2 packets.
Stew will be loose when hot, great when cooled off, next day starches have thickened it up a bit, but re heating it, is perfect.
TIP on using potatoes.. use hard white winter potatoes, some of the softer potatoes can get mushy if you cook something like a pot roast for 65-70 mins.

Top Bottom