What's new

Installing a new Knot....

I have an old Ever-Ready 100T black/white brush handle that belonged to my late father. I'm 73 myself, so I've been kicking this idea around in my head for quite a while. I have already removed the old (badger) knot, and I want to install a new synthetic knot in it.
I have a few questions for those of you 'experts' who have done this before.....

1. Does anybody know the diameter of the knot in a Ever-Ready 100T? I don't have a measuring devise that measures in millimeters. Is there a chart anywhere on the internet
that might have that info?

2. Also, the handle is hollow plastic, and therefore, seems a little light to me. Has anyone
else who has done this kind of thing have any suggestions as to how I could fill the void in
the handle to add some weight and also to provide a 'shelf' for the new not to sit upon and
glue to? I've thought of filling the void with epoxy glue, but it seems to me that would take a lot of epoxy.....

3. I've looked at a few Youtube videos, but haven't found any that address these issues.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have done this and it was one of the first brushes I re-knotted. I bought a 20mm Black & White Synthetic knot from Maggard Razors.

94C56596-B457-4FD3-AC0F-7147A353FA28.jpeg

I place a wine cork in mine 2 1.) add a little weight; and 2.) set the depth of the knot. Further, I didn’t use epoxy, instead I used a clear silicone sealant, bought from Walmart.
I’m on my phone, making it hard to open another window to search, but I posted some of the step-by-step photos in this section.

I’ll add that I’m not an expert, but it still works and I did it over a year ago.

I have done this and it was one of the first brushes I re-knotted. I bought a 20mm Black & White Synthetic knot from Maggard Razors.

View attachment 939690

I place a wine cork in mine 2 1.) add a little weight; and 2.) set the depth of the knot. Further, I didn’t use epoxy, instead I used a clear silicone sealant, bought from Walmart.
I’m on my phone, making it hard to open another window to search, but I posted some of the step-by-step photos in this section.

I’ll add that I’m not an expert, but it still works and I did it over a year ago.

WOW.....that's BEAUTIFUL!! The wine cork is a great idea too! Do you happen to know the diameter
of that knot??? Thanks for your reply!

WOW.....that's BEAUTIFUL!! The wine cork is a great idea too! Do you happen to know the diameter
of that knot??? Thanks for your reply!

Rev, I just finished reading through your attachment. A great description, and beautiful work! That's
exactly the knot I was planning to install too! Thanks a million!! Happy New Year!!

I have used both BBs for a pellet gun and coins to add weight and a shelf. I fill them about halfway with BBs and glue at first and let the glue dry. This gives me a better sense of how high to make the shelf with coins or cork.

The Timberwolf Grey is also a nice option. I had one that looked as though it lived out it's life in smoker's paradise, so I went with a Best from The Golden Nib because the colors within the know really matched well.

I have an old Ever-Ready 100T black/white brush handle that belonged to my late father. I

1. Does anybody know the diameter of the knot in a Ever-Ready 100T? I don't have a measuring devise that measures in millimeters. Is there a chart anywhere on the internet
that might have that info?

Most rulers have a dual scale, inches and millimeters. However, if all you have is a ruler that measures in inches, the following conversion will help:

3/4" = 19 mm
13/16" = 20 mm
7/8" = 22 mm
15/16" = 24 mm
1" = 25 mm
Remember that you want to purchase a knot that is at least 1mm smaller than the hole in the handle. Thus, if your hole measures 1", you would want a 24 mm knot. Otherwise, you won't have sufficient room for the glue to secure the knot.

Another adhesive you might consider to secure your knot into the handle is Gorilla Glue (the original, not the Super Glue). It is a water-activated polyurethane-based adjesive that will bond most materials. It is strong, waterproof and unaffected by the range of temperatures to which your brush will be subjected. If properly applied, you should be able to pass the brush down to your heirs, just as you inherited the original from your father.

Most rulers have a dual scale, inches and millimeters. However, if all you have is a ruler that measures in inches, the following conversion will help:

3/4" = 19 mm
13/16" = 20 mm
7/8" = 22 mm
15/16" = 24 mm
1" = 25 mm
Remember that you want to purchase a knot that is at least 1mm smaller than the hole in the handle. Thus, if your hole measures 1", you would want a 24 mm knot. Otherwise, you won't have sufficient room for the glue to secure the knot.

Another adhesive you might consider to secure your knot into the handle is Gorilla Glue (the original, not the Super Glue). It is a water-activated polyurethane-based adjesive that will bond most materials. It is strong, waterproof and unaffected by the range of temperatures to which your brush will be subjected. If properly applied, you should be able to pass the brush down to your heirs, just as you inherited the original from your father.

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions. Rev's pics and explanations revealed that, like he, I need a 20mm. I ordered it from Maggards Razors last night (along with some Stirling soap to try out, heh-heh!). I will keep you all informed, and will try to post pictures when I'm finished.....

Top Bottom