What's new

Installing a blade in a GEM razor

M

Member 113878

Hi.
I've ordered my first GEM razor from eBay.
I'll probably get it at the end of next week, but was wondering about blade installation.
Is it as easy as with a DE?
My question may sound silly, but I have no idea at all.

Thanks in advance for the help!
François

P.S. I searched the shavewiki, but the articles about it are unavailable. (links broken)

Very easy. Just be sure the corners of the blade line up evenly or you could be left with an exposed corner. There are blade stops to keep the blade flat the correct exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
The most important point when buying used razors is make sure the Blade stops are in good working order. Damaged blade stop means do not use. Most of the time the stops are good but I have received a few bad ones over the yrs.

Here's some manuals for folks who did not receive one with there used razors and some extra information.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpgGem procedure (2).jpgBlade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpgblade_angle-se-de.gif
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hi.
I've ordered my first GEM razor from eBay.
I'll probably get it at the end of next week, but was wondering about blade installation.
Is it as easy as with a DE?
My question may sound silly, but I have no idea at all.

Thanks in advance for the help!
François

P.S. I searched the shavewiki, but the articles about it are unavailable. (links broken)
Which model Gem did you get?

Ron R

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Wow, thanks guys, much appreciated!
Here it is: 1920's Gem 1912 Travel Single Edge Safety Razor with Case | eBay - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-GEM-Single-Edge-Safety-Razor-w-New-Blade-1950-60s/392456090589?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It says it’s a Featherweight, but I can’t vouch for it, I’m a total newbie regarding that kind of razor.
Nice choice!!! The Featherweight is a great razor, and on my short list of daily-drivers.

M

Member 113878

Thanks.
As for blades, I didn't find that much things.
Artist Club blades are much more common.

Nothing here in Canada on any of the on-line retail stores I checked.
I've ordered some from the UK: GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://www.connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html
I've seen some here: Gem Products - Razor Emporium - https://www.razoremporium.com/brands/Gem.html
Some Gem Blue Star at a few places in the US too (Maggard, Westcoastshaving)
And these too: GEM Personna Stainless Steel Single Edge Razor Blades, 10-pak - https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/razor-blades/products/gem-personna-stainless-steel-single-edge-razor-blades-10-pak

M

Member 113878

Well, got my first shave with the new tool this morning.
Honestly, it was the worst shave in a long time.
Lots of tugging.
I have used the new blade coming with it.
GEM on side side, and STAINLESS on the other.
I stropped it on a piece of leather beforehand.

Used good prep and shave cream, as usual.
I have used very little to no pressure, and the cap almost flat on the skin.
I’m aware the technique is certainly very important, and I don’t have it yet.
Maybe it’s the blade?
I have some on order from Connaught that I should get soon.

The cap doesn’t seem to apply much pressure on the blade.
Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!
François

Ron R

I found that stropping a stainless steel will not sharpen it, just leave the blades as is. Some fellows will strop against inside of their hand 4 or 5 times after shaving and that is it. Stropping will just more that likely dull the blade from my experience if it's stainless steel. Stropping carbon steel is different for what ever reason and will keen the edge if you know what your doing.

M

Member 113878

Thanks.
Can the blade be used on both sides?
Just noticed there are small notches on the edges of the blade "handle" (?), but only on one side.

I'm wondering if I got a "non-shaving" type of blade. (for industrial use)

François, the blades you ordered are meant for shaving. I no longer use SE razors and don't have any blades in stock so I can't comment on the notches. I gave up SE shaving because of the difficulty I had shaving my mustache area and the lack of variety of blades.

M

Member 113878

Yes, I’m sure I ordered shaving blades, I was talking of the blade I got with the razor, sorry it was unclear.
I may have put it on the other side.
Only one side has those notches.
Sorry for my lack of vocabulary, my primary language is french.

M

Member 113878

Well, I got my real shaving blades this week and waited this morning to give them a try.
Wow, that was a great shave, nothing in common with my initial experience.
Smooth, yet very efficient without irritation.
Sole bemol is the area under the nose.
Thanks everyone for the help!

M

Member 113878

Shave was so close that I could have kipped today’s shave!
I wouldn’t shave with the GEM everyday, my beard is light.

Top Bottom