What's new

Installed A Bidet Attachment

NCBI issued a warning about bidets with integrated warm water reservoirs stating that they breed bacteria. They recommend cold water only. There's a couple articles if you google NCBI warm water bidet. They're the National Center for Biotechnical Information.
No warnings on the cold water units, and I think it only applied to the ones specifically with reservoirs, but there were much higher contamination rates with the ones they were talking about.

I installed the Tushy bidet almost a year ago now. SO loves it, kids love it...and they got over playing with it eventually. Conveniently with ours (as is the case with many users I believe) the way the toilet faces the bathtub...when they turned it on to play with it, it spray into the tub. So the cleanup wasn't "too" bad compared to what it could have been.

It's definitely been a pleasant experience, and has reduced our TP usage.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
OK, "Check Six" spoiler alert...

I apologize; I know some of you have a little frisson over this, but when you've been there it'll make a lot more sense. A nice bidet will literally save your butt when you have to prep for certain medical/diagnostic procedures that need an empty colon. Just spritz off and ready for the next wave.

O.H.

L
OK, "Check Six" spoiler alert...

I apologize; I know some of you have a little frisson over this, but when you've been there it'll make a lot more sense. A nice bidet will literally save your butt when you have to prep for certain medical/diagnostic procedures that need an empty colon. Just spritz off and ready for the next wave.

O.H.
Looks like the Spoiler Alert was spoiled. I guess we all knew it was bound to happen sooner or later whenever there’s potty talk. 😝
(Oops! 🫣🤭 Next time use booty?)

We had a full electronic version installed in the en-suite at the house in France: warmed seat, temperature-controlled water and warm air wafts to dry the area. Excellent investment! Here we have 3 toilets and each one has the regular attachment, they cost about S$20 here plus getting someone in to fit them, again, excellent investments. And to Old Hippie's point, having had to do that recently, I wholly agree!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I can't live without it. I don't know how people can still use just TP, it's an impossible task for me, literally. Even baby wipes are barely tolerable.

I'm amazed when I go to hotels in the US and there's nothing there, just the TP. Maybe that changes in the future.
One of the reasons I posted... changing one fanny at a time through awareness.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Considering what comes out the end, is bacteria laden water that big of a deal?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Well … we have one of those flushmaster attachments that fills the bowl (not the tank) with chlorine on every flush. I modified the cartridge to refill it with HTH tablets. I don’t think anything is going to survive that.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I’m amazed what the gentlemen here sometimes discuss.

Yes, we have one. And on a chair height bowl, it’s good to be the king.

Cold water only, and a roll of Scotts usually lasts a month.
As the OP in this thread I was just trying to spread a little comfort, save everyone some $ and help keep an acre of the planet intact. If you've installed one share it. If your thinking about it get one. If you haven't considered one consider it. If you're offended I can't help you.
Perhaps I don't understand what you're saying/asking. Perhaps you're not understanding where these attachments hook up. They attach to the water supply to the toilet. Hence they spray CLEAN water up your booty. Mine hooks up to the hot water supply line for the bathroom sink too. = warm water.

I'm telling ya' all-

Bidet is to pooing as DE razor is to shaving... kinda. Just trust me. Get one.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I guess what I was trying to say poop is already bacteria laden, so saying they found bacteria in the warm water reservoir that shoots on that area doesn’t seem that alarming to me. Add in the fact the water is probably chlorinated makes it even less problematic.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
When I was working as a Community Health Medic we would install them for elderly ladies that had recurrent UTIs. It was amazing to see the decrease in UTIs after they started using them.

I personally don’t have one yet but only because we have 3 kids under 6. We have a sprayer attached to one of our toilets for cleaning cloth diapers that has to be left turned off lest there be water fights while one child is sitting on the toilet.

We love ours. Bought one during the pandemic which saved us a lot of tp. Quick and easy install, I put one on each toilet. We have the brondel brand from Amazon. They were under $30 each. Wife was hesitant to use one. She always thought they were gross, now she loves it as long as it’s hers, no one else is allowed to use the master toilet. They are the no electrical hook up so cold water. I’ve heard of people running a length of hose to the hot water outlet if you want to go that route without having an electrical hook up.

The only downside is sometimes the nozzle doesn’t always retract. Small inconvenience.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I’ve heard of people running a length of hose to the hot water outlet

I originally plumbed each of ours in with a mixing valve set to hold a nice warm temperature. The idea was it would warm up and then blend in cold water to keep things comfy. The problem...well, it is what it is so I guess it's not a "problem" but you may need to think about it...

Two things. We have an on-demand water heater. This is nice because we only heat the water when we actually use it. However. The water heater wants to see a certain amount of flow before it will throw 24 kW at heating. Unless you like pressure-washing :scared:
there isn't enough flow to turn on the heater so all you get is cold water. Plus it takes a while for the now heated water to get to you. Since I never got a warm rinse without first running the sink faucet for a minute or so to get the hot water going, it began to seem like too much complexity.

The second thing, and this an actual problem, was that as the mixing valves aged they began to leak a little internally. This allowed for cold water to get sucked into the hot water line whenever the hot was on full anywhere in the house. So again, getting cold water. I was able to break the loops by installing backflow preventers on the mixing valves, but again: complexity. More stuff to break down.

So I replumbed everything, took out the mixing valves and backflow preventers, moved the hookups to the water lines for the toilet tanks, and life's been a lot nicer. Yes, in the winter the water coming out of that thing is about 0.01C above freezing, but it's no big deal. I'm not going to sit there for an hour, after all.

O.H.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Mine hooks up to the hot water supply in my bathroom sink in addition to the toilet water supply. = Happy warm spray on my booty. Never going back. Do yourself a favor and get one.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I originally plumbed each of ours in with a mixing valve set to hold a nice warm temperature. The idea was it would warm up and then blend in cold water to keep things comfy. The problem...well, it is what it is so I guess it's not a "problem" but you may need to think about it...

Two things. We have an on-demand water heater. This is nice because we only heat the water when we actually use it. However. The water heater wants to see a certain amount of flow before it will throw 24 kW at heating. Unless you like pressure-washing :scared:
there isn't enough flow to turn on the heater so all you get is cold water. Plus it takes a while for the now heated water to get to you. Since I never got a warm rinse without first running the sink faucet for a minute or so to get the hot water going, it began to seem like too much complexity.

The second thing, and this an actual problem, was that as the mixing valves aged they began to leak a little internally. This allowed for cold water to get sucked into the hot water line whenever the hot was on full anywhere in the house. So again, getting cold water. I was able to break the loops by installing backflow preventers on the mixing valves, but again: complexity. More stuff to break down.

So I replumbed everything, took out the mixing valves and backflow preventers, moved the hookups to the water lines for the toilet tanks, and life's been a lot nicer. Yes, in the winter the water coming out of that thing is about 0.01C above freezing, but it's no big deal. I'm not going to sit there for an hour, after all.

O.H.
Even on a house with a traditional hot water heater, unless you're 5 feet from the water heater outlet it's going to be cold water till the supply reaches the use point.
Not that big a deal really as you mentioned.
Ease of use over complexity of installation and repair.

Top Bottom