What's new

Insomnia Anyone?

Even as a kid I've always had a problem getting a good healthy night's sleep but over the last few years I've done some things to improve the situation.

The not being able to fall asleep was primarily mental. I could be physically exhausted to the point walking a flight of stairs was rough but the minute my head hit the pillow the circus music in my head would fire up and I'd start thinking about anything and everything. I'm also a natural worrier so when I'm not occupied I'd rehash anything that was stressing me out.

I've tried homeopathic remedies like melatonin, aroma therapy, herbal teas and all that it would usually accomplish is give me a headache, cause me to sneeze & have to get up and pee more often.

I've tried pharmaceutical products and yes they made me sleep but not without consequences. Imovane (a medication similar to Ambien) works very well but isn't something you should take for extended periods as you start to develop tolerance. Benzodiazepines like valium or ativan also work but are addictive.

What I've done that's been most effective is journalling. If I can organize my thoughts before going to sleep and have a plan for the following day it takes a lot of the stress off. I've also been meditating for the past few years and found that to be an excellent way to center myself and get my mind to rest.

While I'll still use Imovane I'm much more selective of when taking it. Normally the first night I'm in a hotel, if I have a particularly early flight to catch (or want to sleep on a red-eye) or just can't shut things off.

This is brilliant. I don’t journal in this way, but I recognize the principle. One must find a way to be at peace with the day that’s ending and the day that’s coming. Hope others see the wisdom in your method. Thanks!

I had sleep apnea. Had the operation. It worked wonders but. Now I take Klonopin 1 hour before bedtime. I'm out like a light. Also, I cut off all caffeine by 5 o'clock.

I had sleep apnea. Had the operation. It worked wonders but. Now I take Klonopin 1 hour before bedtime. I'm out like a light. Also, I cut off all caffeine by 5 o'clock.

yes they made me sleep but not without consequences. Imovane (a medication similar to Ambien) works very well but isn't something you should take for extended periods as you start to develop tolerance. Benzodiazepines like valium or ativan also work but are addictive.

Absolutely. Please be careful with benzos gang. They are bad, bad, very bad drugs. Amazingly effective at doing what they do, but the withdrawals can be horrendous. I was on xanax for a while when my kid was sick in the hospital and it was super effective. But I didn't even know there was such a thing as benzo withdrawal until I experienced it first hand. It took me months to get back to normal.

This is brilliant. I don’t journal in this way, but I recognize the principle. One must find a way to be at peace with the day that’s ending and the day that’s coming. Hope others see the wisdom in your method. Thanks!
Thank you & welcome. I can't speak enough to the value of journalling (not a diary) as it has done so much to assist with setting and achieving personal & professional goals.

I took the advice someone gave to try Valerian root. Bought some Spring Valley brand at Walmart. Took 3 capsules first night and it didn't really seem to do anything for me. Then the next night I upped it to 4 and what a difference. Though I still periodically wake up in the night to look at the clock (that's an old habit of mine) I fall right back to sleep. When I wake up I don't have that "foggy head" feeling that Melatonin gives me all morning long.

But another positive side effect from Valerian root is it seems to be an anxiety reducer. My son is moving to Australia in 5 days and the anxiety I was experiencing over that was affecting my appetite and ability to sleep soundly. Since taking Valerian root that has gone away! Now whether that is completely coincidental or a direct result of the herb, I don't know, but I'm not going to quarrel with the results :thumbup:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Benadryl; has co-benefit of taking out allergies. Long-term use may not be good; something about Alzheimer's- I can't remember. :20:

Melatonin- just make sure it's dark. Won't work if you're reading etc.

These (flu) days - Nyquil. Ahhh... blessed end of day.

AA

I have no problem getting to sleep. It's waking up between 3-5am and not being able to get back to sleep that's my problem. I used to have doctor that prescribed Lorazepam (.5mg). It was really good for taking the edge off, quelling anxiety, and allowing a good sleep without any after effects. I didn't take it every night, a 30 day supply might last 4-6 months. I quit going to doctors 5 years ago, so now I take one Advil PM every night just before going to bed. Lorazepam was better because I didn't need to take it every night, but 1 Advil PM allows me to fall back asleep after my 1-2 nature calls during the night.

I try to get up at 6am, or at least not before that, but I often wake at 4:30 to 5. When this happens I count slow and even breaths from 1 to 100, and often am able to get back to sleep for a while. I'm hoping that the early waking will all work out for Daylight Saving Time.

Benadryl; has co-benefit of taking out allergies. Long-term use may not be good; something about Alzheimer's- I can't remember. :20:

Melatonin- just make sure it's dark. Won't work if you're reading etc.

These (flu) days - Nyquil. Ahhh... blessed end of day.

AA

Benadryl...long term side effect is that it may increase the onset of dementia/Alzheimer’s...not a good thing. Saw both my father and grandfather die of dementia. Terrible thing to watch.
Recent discussion with my favorite physician suggested CDB oil.
Available on Amazon.

Between a couple of minor psychiatric conditions, the medications I take for them and a stressful/mentally taxing job I have a lot of trouble getting back to sleep at 3am. This has caused me to have lapses of focus during the day which adds to the stress. Bit of a vicious cycle. But, at 41yo I'm at the prime of my career and these are the years to work hard.

All I can do is resign myself to the conclusion that I'm doing all I can possibly do to be as productive as possible. You can only do what you can only do, no more. On the plus side I get a lot more done at work at 6am when there's nobody around to bug me. :)

I have had issues sleeping for over 25 years, I work a rotating schedule and honestly never know when to sleep or be awake.

I do find keeping a pretty rigid sleep wake pattern helpful. To bed at a certain time, up the same time every morning.

Where I live, a lot of folks find the right medicine at the local cannibis store. You may not live in a state like mine.

I have it. Most of the time it is stress related. Right now it is stress and pain related. Stupid knee replacement. Worst thing you can do is watch tv or surf the net if you can’t go to sleep. I have no solution in the state I live.

My dad lives in CO. THC has helped him a lot.

I stretch. It actually helps, particularly stretching my legs. Maybe it's just relaxing. On a bad night I might have to stretch two or three times before going back to sleep, but usually it only takes once.

Well, that's a novel idea! I often find myself restless, like, muscular restlessness, or something. I'm trying that tonight.

I have had the same issue. I would get out of bed and do push ups. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it doesn’t. I’m convinced it is stress. I used to sleep like a baby before the job promotions and the arrival of a child and the onset of more frequent trips to the bathroom. It sucks getting old. Tonight I don’t have the muscular restlessness but I woke up around 1 and couldn’t get to sleep. So what am I doing? Perusing B&B. I’m feeling a little drowsy now. Think I’ll try and get some shut eye.

Last edited:
Top Bottom