What's new

inquiry about King C Gillette de (safety) razor blades

I was browsing in a drugstore and found King C Gillette double edge blades. Some questions about them:

1. They have a date on them, it looks like the year 2020. Is this the expiration date or the date manufactured or what? If the former, they're two years out of date!

2. They're made in Russia! Aren't we supposed to boycott Russia these days?

3. Are they suitable for sensitive skin? I've used safety (de) razors on and off for over 55 years and often cut myself shaving. I'm starting all over again, with medium quality razors (Parker Variant, Merkur 38C, Rockwell 2C) and studying videos on how-to-do-it-right so I can be careful. So far, so good.

First off, Welcome to B&B! I've never used the blades so I can't answer your questions but you can bet you'll get a lot of answers from the knowledgeable folks on here.

King C Gillette are some of the best blades on the market, but they are expensive.

It's not an expiration date. Blades do not expire, except if they rust.

I don't know if you're supposed to boycott them... you can, if it's important to you. The blades were imported from Russia long time ago and they are still on the market untill someone buys them all.

They are suitable for any skin. Really good blades.

In my opinion, the blades are excellent and it is great the KCG razor comes with a tuck of 5. They are terribly overpriced, though. There are so many other excellent blades at more than half the cost. The date is the date of production. Not surprising that the price is keeping them on the shelves.

Welcome to B&B.
Are they suitable for sensitive skin? I've used safety (de) razors on and off for over 55 years and often cut myself shaving. I'm starting all over again, with medium quality razors (Parker Variant, Merkur 38C, Rockwell 2C) and studying videos on how-to-do-it-right so I can be careful. So far, so good.
Very good blades by all accounts but very expensive. Work on your technique to avoid cuts and try a blade sampler to find suitable blades for you, e.g. Astra SP, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, Gillette Silver Blue to name a few.
Have a look at the Shave Wiki; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade and ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade

I also found them in a grocery store recently and invested in a box of 10 blades. Nice easy to use blade, but like others have said you can get comparable blades much cheaper.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm using a King C at the moment, not because I think they are great blades, but it's one of the original 5 that came with the razor I bought. The others that come out of the same factory are as good. I like other blades better.

They are very good blades that easily last 10 or more shaves, but they are pricey, I got mine at a Walgreens that was closing them out at $2.31 for ten, and I’ll buy them again at that price in a heartbeat

I’ve wanted to try these but can’t bring myself to pay $6 for 5 of them at the drugstore. Every time I’m there I check if they’re on sale, and I’ll buy them only if they’re on a good sale.

I’ve wanted to try these but can’t bring myself to pay $6 for 5 of them at the drugstore. Every time I’m there I check if they’re on sale, and I’ll buy them only if they’re on a good sale.

PM me your address and I'll mail you one. (assuming you are in USA)

I was browsing in a drugstore and found King C Gillette double edge blades. Some questions about them:

1. They have a date on them, it looks like the year 2020. Is this the expiration date or the date manufactured or what? If the former, they're two years out of date!
Looking on an accessible tuck, that looks to be a batch/lot number as well as Date of Manufacture.

Given the space allowed, there is usually a widely used and accepted factory icon to identify this date, though I didn't see it on the outer packaging of the 10-pack either

ex.
Date of Manufacture symbology.jpg

Top Bottom