What's new

Inks with interesting multiple color properties

As a newcomer to the world of fountain pens, I am very intrigued by the number of inks available with visual appeal that you cannot get from ordinary ballpoint and rollerball pens. I've come across a number of inks that have rather unusual and exciting properties to them, and I was hoping to start a list of them. Here is what I have heard about so far. Feel free to add to the list, or discuss any of these inks.

1. Noodler's Rome Burning is a golden-yellow ink that turns purple when you get it wet.

2. Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia turns from brown to red to purple with the application of bleach.

3. Noodler's General of the Armies fades from green to blue.

4. Various Noodler's inks, such as Dragon's Napalm, and Blue Nose Bear fluoresce under UV light.

5. Diamine Majestic Blue, Private Reserve Electric DC Blue, and Parker Penman Sapphire are blue with a distinct red sheen.

6. Robert Oster Fire and Ice is turquoise with a distinct red sheen.

7. Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo is pink with a distinct yellow/gold sheen.

8. Aurora Blue/Black seems to be a mixture of black, blue, and red components, which are each distinctly visible.

9. The entire J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary line has heavy sheening and shimmery glitter.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki has a strong red outline when the ink's laid down wet enough.

Diamine Wild Strawberry is a bright red with a brown/tan outline.

Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku is green and has an almost purple outline.

Montblanc Leo Tolstoy is a deep blue with a red sheen to it.

Diamine Bilberry is a rich purple with a heavy golden sheen to it.

I agree with Private Reserve Electric DC Blue, but the sheen fades over time. I remember seeing it when I did some sampling of it. I'm looking back in my notebook, though, and I can't see the sheen anymore.

Last edited:
i have the robert oster fire and ice, its a nice ink, but you need really gloss paper or put a lot of ink down to make it shine almost crimson, i might load it into my 580 after i finish the blue.

Top Bottom