What's new

Inkbird IRF-4S Pro Review

IMG_20200813_213429.jpg

It's not WiFi or Bluetooth. No app on the phone, but it's perfect for me. The unit comes with a transmitter that stays at the pit which can accommodate 4 probes, has a bright orange back light and can switch between C and F. The receiver also has a back light and a host of functions I'll go thru in a bit. Three meat probes and an air temp probe, along with two grill clamps to hold them at grill level.

IMG_20200814_174410.jpg

I bought a short rib rack to do up tomorrow so I'll walk you thru the setup and features as we go and you can follow along with me as I smoke my first big chunk of beef.

Some notes first though. The unit doesn't feel like it's sturdy, it's not something you would want to drop I'd imagine. The range as I tested a cooling grill last night covered my whole property inside and out (they advertise 1500 ft like of site) which is perfect for me. It doesn't come with instructions but they do have them on their website which are easy to follow. The units are rechargeable internal batteries, so no messing with coin or AAs just charge with a USBC cable (they provide two) into a regular usb charger block (they do not provide).

We can do some range testing tomorrow and see how it holds up to use. I'm pretty excited

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have several Inkbird devices and they all work well. A couple of them are going on two years old.

Here we go... Well we are already going, takes a while to upload a video.

IMG_20200815_115943.jpg
IMG_20200815_120850.jpg
IMG_20200815_123053.jpg

I'm up a floor in my kitchen prepping my meat. Np connecting. The timer is in hrs and minutes so good for a spritz reminder, no good for timing steak flips without seconds though.

I need to go to the store to get some veggies, so we will see how far I can get and what happens when I drop connection. I'm currently 30 minutes in pit is at 271, and beef is at 118. It was just over 3 pounds when I started.

IMG_20200815_130316.jpg

Started to lose control of the temp. I took all the charcoal out (jealous devil is way hotter and longer burning the the big green egg stuff I have used up until now) the broil king being insulated is still holding 282 on its own. The meat is up to 187f in butcher paper at the moment.

I would not worrry too much under 300 James. You can always close the bottom vents to get the fire down a bit.
Whats your target temp to pull?

I would not worrry too much under 300 James. You can always close the bottom vents to get the fire down a bit.
Whats your target temp to pull?
It wa up to 350 and was stil climbing with all air vents closed off lol

Homerun!
If your heat is climbing with the vents closed ypu have an air leak somewhere.
Looks great James.

Homerun!
If your heat is climbing with the vents closed ypu have an air leak somewhere.
Looks great James.
Yup, found out the ash tray at the bottom will seat into a spot that looks closed, will even latch, but it just off enough to leave a pretty big gap on the bottom. Gotta make sure that its in the right spot. I had no trouble tonight though

Reactions: Jim
Great review, James. Sounds great.

"$S" not "RS" in the name, right?

For what it's worth, I would say the Maverick seems a tad fragile, too.

Prices seem good for your unit. I really like the range, although the Maverick has been fine for my purposes.

BTW, I take it one treats short ribs about the same as brisket as far as temps, using a crutch, etc.?

Last edited:
4S is correct, thanks. They were same type of cool but far less time as a brisket obviously. I didn't about 1.5 hours till crust set, hit the stall and wrapped in paper until I probed tender. Given the smaller size and the gigantic bone the stall isn't that long of a time anyway so leaving unwrapped through the whole process without it going way over in time.

Top Bottom