What's new

Ink

I have six, but all can be covered with a t-shirt. I have them because I like them; I never even considered it "rebellion" or a way to be cool. Many people who know me have no idea, but not because I don't want them to, I just don't care. They are for me. I agree that (with the exception of face tattoos, which probably explains why I see more and more of them) tattoos are no longer "cutting edge" and yes, some designs are trendy. I see them as body art, or maybe permanent decoration. They still make a statement, but what that statement is depends on where they are, what they are of, and the quality. As a society we still judge prison or home-made tattoos as "outsider" markings, and now we also judge tribal and chinese-character tattoos as trendy and hopping on the bandwagon. I am not sure that tattoo-saturation has reached a level where we pass judgement on not having tattoos though.

A shipmate of mine got a tattoo at a Chinese shop in Hong Kong...he wanted "Born To Lose" on his arm. Next day when he took the bandage off, his new tattoo read "Born Too Loose". To me, that defines irony.

Not meaning to be confrontational, but how is this possible? Didn't your friend take a single glance at the work being done before it was too late? It's sort of like saying "I hired a company to paint my house, and when they finished, it was pink!".

Cute story though. :smile:

I have several. Each one has an underlying meaning to me; my travels overseas while in the Navy, things that have happened in my life, etc. I have several more planned.

Like others have mentioned, it wasn't a rebellious thing nor was it an attempt to be "en vogue". Still, to each his own. I don't presume to to tell anyone what he/she should do with their own bodies.

I have several. Each one has an underlying meaning to me. Things that have happened in my life, etc. I have several more planned.

Like others have mentioned, it wasn't a rebellious thing nor was it an attempt to be "en vogue". Still, to each his own. I don't presume to to tell anyone what he/she should do with their own bodies.

Same here

I've never really been too worried about what other people think.

proxy.php

I think that tattoos definitely fall into two categories: those who get them for superficial reasons, and those who get them for other reasons.

First, let me say that, by superficial, I mean for fashion, because their friends have them, or they look "cool." This group tends to have tribal bands, pinyin characters, and the like. These are the people that are in the mainstream. When asked, these people will say hesitate to describe what the tattoo means, and may even answer that it simply looks good.

The second group tends to get tattoos for a number of reasons, including marking significant moments in life, tribute to others, art, personal expression and so on. I think that the "edgey" group is still on the edge. That placement has to do with who they are. Tattoos are just an expression of themselves. When asked about their tattoos, these people may not want to explain at all, or you may get more of an explanation than you really wanted or felt appropriate.

Are tattoos becoming the mainstream? I'd say yes. Not completely there, but getting there quickly.

Do they necessarily indicate rebellion? I'd say no.

Either way, its up to the individual. And the fact remains that its each person's choice. In a way, tattoos reflect who we are as much as the way we dress, speak, or conduct ourselves. Its another form of self-expression. And, as such, we may see a different meaning than that which was intended by the wearer.

Its also worth noting that tattoos have a place in human culture, and that place is different depending on the culture. There was a very good book years ago called, Marks of Civilization that discussed tattooing in cultural terms. Good book, well-written and researched.

Last edited:
Still, to each his own. I don't presume to to tell anyone what he/she should do with their own bodies.

Absolutely - tattoos aren't my thing, but that's just personal preference. I just found the idea that I was somehow trendy for not having a tattoo to be immensely funny.

I think that tattoos definitely fall into two categories: those who get them for superficial reasons, and those who get them for other reasons.

First, let me say that, by superficial, I mean for fashion, because their friends have them, or they look "cool." This group tends to have tribal bands, pinyin characters, and the like. These are the people that are in the mainstream. When asked, these people will say hesitate to describe what the tattoo means, and may even answer that it simply looks good.

The second group tends to get tattoos for a number of reasons, including marking significant moments in life, tribute to others, art, personal expression and so on. I think that the "edgey" group is still on the edge. That placement has to do with who they are. Tattoos are just an expression of themselves. When asked about their tattoos, these people may not want to explain at all, or you may get more of an explanation than you really wanted or felt appropriate.

Are tattoos becoming the mainstream? I'd say yes. Not completely there, but getting there quickly.

Either way, its up to the individual. And the fact remains that its each person's choice. In a way, tattoos reflect who we are as much as the way we dress, speak, or conduct ourselves. Its another form of self-expression. And, as such, we may see a different meaning than that which was intended by the wearer.

Its also worth noting that tattoos have a place in human culture, and that place is different depending on the culture. There was a very good book years ago called, Marks of Civilization that discussed tattooing in cultural terms. Good book, well-written and researched.
I had been holding back responding with the exact same thoughts as I did not feel I could properly articulate them. You hit it on the head though.

Excellent post. You summed up a lot of what I was going to respond with. But the thing about tattoos is they are permanent, basically. Who these twenty-somethings think they are now is highly likely to change. Other forms of self-expression(other than piercings and their ilk) are not so irrevocable. You can change clothes, the way you think, and who you associate with.
I'm not sure about removal being big in 10 years, but as for that having been said 10 years ago, tats did not have near the popularity they did now. Besides, erasing one costs a lot more than getting one. Girls without tramp stamps seem to be the minority these days, even though I'm sure that's not the case. I do anticipate a lot of regret, and see a lot of it now.

Last edited:
that and in piercing removal/hole closure.

Definitly. That is one of the dumbest things people do these days. I see people with huge gaping holes in their ears, sometimes 2-3 inches wide! Crazy man.

What are they gonna do when they get older? Slap their kids with their gaping ears? :lol:

As for ink, definitly just trendy, not really a statement of rebellion anymore than it is conformity. Very few people have meaningful tattoos.

Definitly. That is one of the dumbest things people do these days. I see people with huge gaping holes in their ears, sometimes 2-3 inches wide! Crazy man.

What are they gonna do when they get older? Slap their kids with their gaping ears? :lol:
Scalpel them down just like Blofeld (sp?) in OHMSS

Jesting of course. I have been a member, albeit not at that level, of a number of body modification communities both online and off and for the most part the people who go after the more visible modifications do so for their own personal reasons. A large variety of reasons for sure though. All of my work is "suit friendly", but that is because I want to retain a certain image while fulfilling my artistic desires. No one I know who is really sincere about their work, what ever form it takes, makes snap decisions. Well mostly, sometimes there is the spur of the moment aspect, but that usually forms in ways outside of shop wall flash. They do it for their own benefit. Not out of desire to stick it to mom and dad or the man.

Most heavily modified people are some of the most sincere and friendly people out there. Much like this forum they have found ways to tap into what makes them feel better about their selves and I challenge anyone to find fault with that.

All that said, there is a lot of crap work without meaning out there now.

I have five, will have six and seven before the end of the year. They're all covered, because as "mainstream" as they may be, they're still highly frowned upon in the work environment.

And if you're worried about what other people think of your tattoos, you're probably not getting them for the right reason.

I agree with alot of the post here I have four only one of which is visable when wearing a t-shirt but personally I think that if the tattoo has meaning to it its not mainstream I will admit that one of my tattoo's is off the board but I really liked the design and when I showed it to the artist he said no one had ever asked for it before. I am one of the few who got mine for a deeper meaning not as a tend or to be rebelious.

As for ink, definitly just trendy, not really a statement of rebellion anymore than it is conformity. Very few people have meaningful tattoos.

I wish I was enough of a world traveler to make sweeping general statements about people's choices. Show some class man, a bunch of us obviously have tattoos we consider meaningful.

I have 7 right now. Got the first one in 1981 and the most recent was last year with and another in the discussion phase. Some are meaningful and others just for fun. I don't regret any of them. I'm an exec now so I wear long sleeves but I don't mind it's part of the deal. Some people like them others don't. Who am I to judge?

My son has a more ink than me. My only advice has been don't get anything you can't cover with long sleeve shirt. The world is still run by old guys in suits and unless you want to be a life long Citgo attendant a scorpion tattoo on your neck seriously limits your career choices and earning potential. I give that same advice to anyone contemplating a tattoo.

Face piercings and ear gauges? :nonod:

There is a website http://www.hanzismatter.com/ that deals with this. Some of the translations are pretty funny.

Wow, I can't believe people are still getting ridiculous nonsensical (and unattractive) Chinese tattoos.

Some of it comes from ignorance, to be sure. People who want "their name in Chinese" on them, or ask for a certain phrase to be put in Chinese on them. That's just asking for trouble.

I wish I was enough of a world traveler to make sweeping general statements about people's choices. Show some class man, a bunch of us obviously have tattoos we consider meaningful.

Which is precisely why I placed that last sentence, sir. Very few = The minority of people who have tattoos these days. These days, just about everybody has a tattoo and most of them are younger, and most of them just get them because its the thing to do. There are lots of people that have very meaningful tattoos, but they are certainly the minority. Theres no reason to throw stones.

Interesting...when I was a kid, only men had tattoos. Specifically, only ex-military men or real badasses. Maybe you proved your badassedness in the military by getting inked - dunno'.

South of the border, down old Mexico way, it is still the case that only badasses, crims and gangbangers have ink. Certainly, it is still frowned upon by the great majority and shows little sign of becoming mainstream.

Top Bottom