What's new

Ink bottles to stay away from with thicker pens

The Ancient Copper color is really good, the ink has a number of other problems, people report crud building up on the nib and blocked feeds.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Are you just wondering about getting an ink bottle that has a wide enough opening to comfortably get a big pen into? Goulet sells empty ink bottles for a buck or two each so you could get a wide-mouth bottle and decant other inks into it if needed.

Empty Fountain Pen Ink Bottles

Are you just wondering about getting an ink bottle that has a wide enough opening to comfortably get a big pen into? Goulet sells empty ink bottles for a buck or two each so you could get a wide-mouth bottle and decant other inks into it if needed.

Empty Fountain Pen Ink Bottles[/QUO

Empty Fountain Pen Ink Bottles
I want to get a big bottle, and a small bottle, the small bottle will be for work,on a classic wooden desk, which according to finance cost about 2.5k. need a bottle which doesnt look like a kiddy safe bottle ,but can still be used with a pilot metropolitan, jinhao x750, twsbi go, jinhao x450. desk looks kinda like this,
https://www.amazon.com/Tucker-Doubl...&sprefix=executive+desk,undefined,136&sr=8-12

Mont Blanc bottles are nice but the oelikan and waterman bottles can be set on their sides when thebink gets low. They have decent openings for wide pens. Herbin inks have narrow openings.

I was filling a Montblanc 149 yesterday from a Diamine 80 ml bottle which was 75% full, possibly more. The nib wasn't fully in the ink and drew air in to the pen with the ink, it will be even worse next time of course.

Quink bottles are large enough for the 159. If you can find some with the older style label font.

If you are very brave you can stand a Quink bottle on its edge, or lay it down in a metal ring, something like a bangle. Must admit that I usually just pour the ink into an MB shoe or, best of all, a Lamy dimple style bottle

Attachments

• PH.jpg
    PH.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 16
  • L-Turquoisebottle2.jpg
    L-Turquoisebottle2.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 15
And also the 80ml Diamine bottle.

I don't see the 80ml bottles as problematic, personally. I use Diamine almost exclusively and haven't had any problems using up to an M1000 size in them.

If anything my concern now is depth considering the size of some nibs.

I don't see the 80ml bottles as problematic, personally. I use Diamine almost exclusively and haven't had any problems using up to an M1000 size in them.

If anything my concern now is depth considering the size of some nibs.

My problem is I can only use, at most, half of the bottles contents when filling a 149, is that what you mean by 'depth'.

Must admit that I am not a fan of Diamine ink anyway but thats a seperate subject.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
For around $5 each I got a bunch of Sheaffer Skrip-well bottles, U.S.A. (center right)

full

If the diameter of the neck is critical then you may find what you are looking for in the grocery aisle, these are mini jars of marmalade, jams and honey but ideal to decant from other less suitable ink bottles

91fyMBTxDxL._SL1500_.jpg

The Pineider Snorkel Filler (I got mine at Fahrney's) solves the narrow-bottle problem. I had a bit of a learning-curve problem with the thing the first time I used it, but now that I'm past that I'm pretty happy.

For around $5 each I got a bunch of Sheaffer Skrip-well bottles, U.S.A. (center right)

Those are really nice for pens with smaller nibs, like a #5 or smaller. I have a lot of pens with larger nibs though, and the well on those isn't deep enough for them.

I've tried the Watermans and Pelikan bottles that you can turn on their side, as well as some other bottles that have wells or inserts. What I've settled on is the Ink Miser Ink-Shot Inkwell. I just use an eyedropper to transfer the ink from a bottle to that and then fill the pen. I've also got one of their Intra-Bottle inkwells which is an insert that fits into the Noodler's bottles well. I use a lot of Noodler's Bulletproof Black ink, so it's convenient to keep the insert in the bottle I'm using.

I also have a TWSBI bottle that I got a while back that has an insert. I like the Diamine Saddle Brown ink and I keep some in the TWSBI bottle to make it easy to use.

Top Bottom