What's new

Injector's Vs. GEM's

Anyone use the Treet SE blades from CVS? I have a micromatic that I haven't tried yet, and got a pack of these.

yes, i have and I was pleased with them, until I got a pella to try from cvixx. I think they are nice blades, and it is great that they are so readily available.

sorry, the gem ones you want are the GEM PTFE coated blades, I had not seen the carbon steel ones. You probably will also want the stainless injector blades. Interested in splitting an order of the gem blades? :001_smile

I might be interested. Another member is graciously send me a couple TP GEM blades to try in my newest purchase.

If I end up liking the GEM and the TP's I'm getting, I'd be up for splitting an order. I've been considering getting some TP Injector blades anyway, might as well but them all at once.

Provided I get the razor/blades in the next couple days, I'll probably know in a week or so whether I want to order some TP's. You want me to PM you once I decide?

rodd and i already placed an order.....

I can't speak for him, but i have a feeling he's gonna be working on the 100 blades for awhile...

How do the GEM's compare to Ever-Ready's? I recently got a very cool looking English Ever-Ready in an eBay lot. I'll have to get some blades for it one of these days.

I'd be up for splitting an order of Ted Pella Gem blades, and I need some injector blades as well. If someone still wants to do this, PM me.

Gems are dirt cheap on the 'Bay, with most under $10. I've seen some mint/NOS Gems on the BST for less than $20- try getting a similar Gillette for anywhere close to that!

I'm in the process of buying a few injectors, and it seems like the popular models (the L series) are getting a little expensive.

I have a Featherweight (white plastic handle) and a Micromatic, with a G-Bar on the way. Of the two, I greatly prefer the Featherweight. Gems are my go-to razors when I haven't shaved in a few days and have a heavy beard. They really mow it down.

How do the GEM's compare to Ever-Ready's? I recently got a very cool looking English Ever-Ready in an eBay lot. I'll have to get some blades for it one of these days.

Identical in every way. I have an ever ready and a gem that only differ in the brand stamping. I believe gem eventually bought out ever ready, although I also heard at one point that ever ready was the over seas branding of the gems.

my ever-ready doesnt seen to try as hard as my gem.
if i have a spot i miss with any of my DEs i instantly reach for my gem, cause i know it will take that hair off no matter what

Anyone use the Treet SE blades from CVS? I have a micromatic that I haven't tried yet, and got a pack of these.

The TREETs are fine. Not quite as smooth as the Pellas, nor quite as durable, they afford a fine shave. That said, if you can migrate to the Pellas, it's worth doing so, IMO.

Ever-Ready was the branding used for Canada, UK, other non-US outlets. The only difference, if any, is superior finish and plating, and better/nicer packaging/cases. Design, use, and results are the same as the US GEM stuff.

Regarding the Pella blades: At http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm, they list Single Edge, PTFE-Coated Blades, product number 121-3 at $33/per 200. These are the ones you want for shaving with a SE. They are extremely sharp, but are very smooth shaving blades, and provide a fine shave. They are packaged in two packs of 100, so it's easy to sell off half of them.

-- John Gehman

Josh the Gem G bar is the best one for a newbie. The Micromatic is good too but some people, even experienced Gem users, have problems with them so be careful. If you researched previous threads about the Gem you will see that I have been a Gem advocate for a long time.

Josh the Gem G bar is the best one for a newbie. The Micromatic is good too but some people, even experienced Gem users, have problems with them so be careful. If you researched previous threads about the Gem you will see that I have been a Gem advocate for a long time.

thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind when I get my new razor.

Got my micromatic in the mail last night and shaved w/it for the first time this morning. It came w/some vintage GEM blades, still wrapped in the cellophane, so I think they're ok. They were even detailed on the blades, lots of scrollwork etc. After my first shave, I don't think they're the best blades. Looking forward to the TP's that a fellow member is graciously sending me.

Overall it was a pretty good first shave, cheated and used my more nimble injector around my chin and under my nose.

This GEM is going to take some getting used to, it's definitely not as easy as picking up an injector and shaving. The learning curve seems it's going to be longer than w/an injector.

Any "GEM noob" hints anyone can pass on?

Hold it against your face and let it glide. If you are holding it anything like a standard DE you are doing it incorrectly.

Hold it against your face and let it glide. If you are holding it anything like a standard DE you are doing it incorrectly.

I'm trying to hold it the way I usually do my injector, almost flat against my face, just barely angled to keep the guide bar and blade on my skin but most of the head off my skin. Am I doing it right?

Place the top flat against your face and angle it just so the blade contacts the skin at a cutting angle. The base of the handle should be almost perpendicular i.e. sticking straight out relative to your face at all times. Yeah it feels odd but the GEM is a natural at this angle and you'll soon get used to it. I'll have to look and see if I've got any GEM razor instructions I can scan for you.

Place the top flat against your face and angle it just so the blade contacts the skin at a cutting angle. The base of the handle should be almost perpendicular i.e. sticking straight out relative to your face at all times. Yeah it feels odd but the GEM is a natural at this angle and you'll soon get used to it. I'll have to look and see if I've got any GEM razor instructions I can scan for you.

Sounds like I've almost got it. My cheeks came out nice & smooth, but my neck/under my chin feel a bit rough. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Hi everyone, first off I'm breaking a rule I set. I have been reading every thread every post on the Safety Razor thread for a little over a month now (starting with the oldest, which I think now is over 250 pages long). I was hoping to hold off comments questions until I read up to page one. I'm now on page 22 and have to comment because this is my first week trying a single edge (Gem G Bar).

The first shave with the G Bar and Treet SE blade from CVS was actually pretty smooth and probably would have been better had it not been my first time. It was also an extremely close shave and only required 3 passes. Previously, I've needed 4 with a Merkur HD and Gillette Slim, and 3 with Merkur Slants and Gillette Bostonian (albeit missing some teeth, the end 2 on the same side...Should I even have used this?).

The second shave was scratchy and bloodier than any previous DE shave (should mention it has now been almost 2 months wet shaving).

Don't ask me why, but I actually did a third day with the same Treet SE blade and using just 2 very very careful passes, was very irritating and painful. As I write this, I have the most stubble post shave since starting wet shaving.

I honestly think I might get a less irritating shave with an old swiss army knife than trying a fourth day with the Treet SE, so needless to say I won't be attempting that.

Until this week, I'd been doing 5 shaves a week with a DE Razor. I went a bit crazy with 3 different sample packs and so far have tried:

Polsilver
Crystal
Trig Silver Edge
Tiger Superior Stainless
Treet Dura Sharp Stainless
Iridium Extra Super Stainless
Treet Classic
Family Dollar Brand

Of those above, all have lasted 5 shaves without the discomfort described with the Treet SE. None have really jumped out to me and screamed "I'm your blade!" If I had to give a slight nod it would be to the Iridium. That being said I have many many others to try.

I'm probably going to be ordering the PTFE Pella Blades mentioned in this thread later today. I was a day late and a dollar short to a recent post in the buy/sell forum on a split.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a little hello and thanks to those who have made me feel so welcome.

Mark

Top Bottom