What's new

Injectors 2020 Twin Challenge (Schick)

There have been several posts on the longevity of the Schick Twin Blades. I am currently using one that does not seem to want to end. So, what is a more appropriate time than to start a Schick Twin durability challenge at the beginning of 2020? I will be starting on the 1st of January 2020 with a new Twin Blade and will use it for as long as possible.

A few practical rules:
  • every day that you shave with it counts as one
  • if you don't shave for a day, the next day does not count double
  • normal cleaning procedures are of course allowed; special treatments like sharpening, etc. only when mentioned in the comments
  • using another razor/razorblade counts as having ended the challenge (except for holidays/travel, as I can imagine that it is not always possible to bring your injector)
If you want to join the challenge, please capture the following information (what type of hair/beard growth you have, type of injector, number of days that you have used it before ending and any other information that might be interesting.

To start of:

beard type: normal
type of injector: Schick Type O (2nd generation)
number of days used: TBD
comments: ... ...

Have fun and a smooth 2020!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I am definitely going to be following this thread. I love the Japanese Twinjector blades. I'd participate, but I don't think I could consistently shave with my Schick L (or any of my Schicks) for as long as it would take to dull the blade (yeah, I know....no self-control/discipline). But I'm happy to see this thread and will be cheering you all along and noting your success/times with the blades!

Probably out, I the Twin that's in mine only has 10 or so shaves on it, don't want to toss it prematurely. I'd also end up using another razor/blade combo and end the challenger, per the rules above. (Sometimes I just want a no-think shave and grab the OneBlade, other times, I'll gravitate to the Timeless 95 OC....usually the Injector or one of those two, with Rocky tossed in now and then).

This test will be interesting, but very inaccurate and unscientific. When a blade should be tossed or must be tossed is very subjective. Shavers would be all over the map on this.

Personally, with my tough whiskers on my 83 year old face I can easily get 10 to 14 (or more) 3 pass shaves that are close and comfortable on a regular Chinese Schick Injector blade. But if I wanted to impress someone I could get more.

Another variable is the twin blades were made decades ago. (They are no longer made?) Some have had decent storage conditions. Some have not. And we don't know the history of the twin blades in our possession.

It's been awhile since I shaved with a Schick twin, but I think I recall they lasted as long as regular injector blades. There was no dramatic difference, aside from the twin blades giving a closer shave with a mild injector such as a Type L or a Type O

Post Script: I too plan to test the durability of a Schick Injector Twin blade. We will start January 1, 2020, I understand.

Please send reminders out in late December, as life happens and sometimes best intentions evaporate.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
This test will be interesting, but very inaccurate and unscientific. When a blade should be tossed or must be tossed is very subjective. Shavers would be all over the map on this.

Personally, with my tough whiskers on my 83 year old face I can easily get 10 to 14 (or more) 3 pass shaves that are close and comfortable on a regular Chinese Schick Injector blade. But if I wanted to impress someone I could get more.

Another variable is the twin blades were made decades ago. (They are no longer made?) Some have had decent storage conditions. Some have not. And we don't know the history of the twin blades in our possession.

It's been awhile since I shaved with a Schick twin, but I think I recall they lasted as long as regular injector blades. There was no dramatic difference, aside from the twin blades giving a closer shave with a mild injector such as a Type L or a Type O

I went off to college with a yellow Schick .. not sure which. The double blades clogged up and were useless ... they might have worked fine with a light beard

Post Script: I too plan to test the durability of a Schick Injector Twin blade. We will start January 1, 2020, I understand.

Please send reminders out in late December, as life happens and sometimes best intentions evaporate.

Thanks for joining. I indeed plan to post a reminder at the end of the year.

Of course it will be inaccurate, personal and unscientific. But I think it will also be fun. My experience with other injector blades are as follows. Chinese Schicks last 7 to 10 days with me. The Platinum Plus Schicks last between 15 and 20 days for me. The Gillette Twin Blades I really didn't like and I stopped after 3 shaves (but maybe that was just a problem with that specific blade). And the Schick Twin Blades I usually stop when I want to try another blade. Longest that I have used the Twin Blades so far has been 2 1/2 month. Factors that might also effect durability on top of the ones that you mentioned:
  • A few times a week I use oil on my face
  • I dry blades after every shave (shaking, blowing air + wiping on a towel)
  • every few weeks I take a piece of paper and remove the clogged soap/hairs between the two blades.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I shave daily and the twin II blades work OK, I'm on shave 25 but do not use it daily but when ever I feel like it. I use basically the same procedure after shaving as you do is give the razor a fling to get the excess water off and then blow air in those hard to get places and towel dry any noticeable water and into my Schick wooden rack until the next turn. I have my Twin blade in a Stick Schick L type and it hits my sweet spot CCS,DFS,BBS range & I'm happy. If I remember I will post once and a while when I use it here.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday shave DEC 15-2019 Stick Schick injector and it is one of my favorite Schick injectors with a Japan twinII blade and it is sort like the Everready battery TV commercial "it lasts & lasts.......". It is a good daily driver IMO with a twin blade if that is what a fellow wants.

Razor : Stick Schick injector theme L type -MFG 1973
Blade : Schick twin II (26) mfg Japan
Soap : Tabac
Brush : Yaqi tuxedo knot 24mm+ "Sagrada Familia"theme Barcelona Cathedral pillars.(been there beautiful & Awe)
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave : Razorock Emperor aftershave with witch hazel + Nivea balm for winter months.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + minor irritation + no weepers = :a17:

Sunday shave Dec 15-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Just a small reminder to join the 2020 Twin Challenge! Start on January 1, 2020 with a fresh Twin Blade in your favorite injector. I'll post another reminder in some days.

M

Member 113878

Can a twin blade be used in a type J?
I’m a newbie regarding Shick injectors, sorry!
Thanks!

Brother fblais,

A twin blade can be used in a Schick Type I and a Type J if they are not the "hydro-magic" models, that is, if they don't have the lever on the handle that releases tension on the blade to expedite cleaning.

BTW a twin blade cannot be used in a Type G or earlier Schick injector. Twin blades cannot be used on non-Schick injector razors, such a the Personna and the Pal Injecto-matic razors. Schick twin blades came out at about the time the mild Schick Injector Type L was introduced.

M

Member 113878

This is the one I bought, so I think it’s ok:

1577370592256.jpeg1577370631821.jpeg

Right?
Thanks!

Hi everybody,

Tomorrow is the day. I am ready for it:
IMG_6171.jpg

Wishing everybody a great finish to 2019 and a smooth 2020!

Lucas

Top Bottom