What's new

Injector Warning

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyone who uses an old Schick Injector is aware of the "quality" of the Injector magazine holding the blades that are used in these fine single edge razors. Positively not the same build quality as the ones originally made by Schick.
It's been a while since I used any of my Injectors, and today I decided to give it a run with one of my old type E injectors.
I grabbed the new pack of baldes that I had picked up a few months ago, and proceeded to inject a blade into the razor.
Inserted key into the razor, drew back the magazine handle and started to inject the new blade.
First sign of problems. No go on blade movement.
Ah, this has happened before, just have to "wiggle" the magazine a bit to get things to line up.
Ok, blade starts moving into the razor, and bang! The whole injector slide pops over the edge of the razor and the plastic cover pops off of the magazine entirely.
Blades drop out of the magazine, all over the floor.
Ok, I'll get those in a second - first things first, get the blade the rest of the way into the razor.
Withdraw the slider again, and push the blade in.
As I do this, I can physically see the blade moving back and forth in the razor, with the leading edge of the blade coming into contact with the blade stopper at the end of the razor.
Nothing visible on the blade though - looks ok.
Toss the injector magazine in the trash, pick up the scattered blades and toss them as well.
Normal prep, lather, and go to it with a shave.
Not good. First attempt at first pass WTG is harsh.
It is obvious that the blade edge has been damaged by its wiggling path into the razor.
Set aside the Injector and finsish with a DE.
Got to thinking later that I knew the blade was damaged because I knew what a great smooth shave these razors can give. I know from experience.
For those guys who don't have a lot of experience with the Injectors let me say this;

1. The build quality of the new magazine blade holders is absolute crap. Be VERY careful if you are using them, because a slip is just a moment away from a slice to a finger or hand, especially if you have a catastrophic failure like I did this morning.

2. Even without failure, most of the time, there is a bit of "wiggle" necessary to get the blade moving into the razor. Be aware that though a "bit" of wiggle is needed, movement of the blade puts it at risk of being damaged by the razor blade stops.

3. Assess your shave from the moment the blade touches your skin. Someone of less experience may have not known better, and might have continued with the shave, thinking that they were doing something wrong, and trying to correct it as they went. Bad idea. If it feels bad - stop. It should not feel bad, or rough. Forcing your way through a shave is asking for trouble.
There WILL be blood.

I am now on a mission to find a better source of blades than the ASR / Personna magazines currently sold in drug stores. If I find a source, I'll post it here on B&B. If you know of a decent source of quality Injectors, please let me know - because unless I find a new supply of magazines - I have to say I'm done with Injectors.

For clarity - here is a picture of the culprit;

Last edited:
i'm sure you're on top of this, but the current schick cartridges avail on drugstore.com still have the more reliable all metal construction. i have some made in germany, others in china but haven't noticed much difference.

they both shave great and never an injection problem...

I shaved this morning with my Type E injector and I used one of those Rite-Aid blades with the plastic dispensers. I agree they are crappy but with the Type E i have to play gently but I get the blade in from these newer dispensers. Sometimes I just manually slide out the blade from one of these newer dispensers and grab an older Schick magazine and load the Personna blade into it and than into my desired injector, works loads like a charm. I totally agree the newer plastic dispensers suck crap.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
i'm sure you're on top of this, but the current schick cartridges avail on drugstore.com still have the more reliable all metal construction. i have some made in germany, others in china but haven't noticed much difference.

they both shave great and never an injection problem...

Actually, as I very very seldom use them, I was not aware at all that Schick even still made these.
Thanks for the tip, I will check into it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's my only complaint about the Pella blades. I recall transfering them to a Schick cartridge, but it wasn't easy.

Hey Phil, I bought a bunch of these last December from Hocks.com... thet are all metal and I have no problems with these. They are the metal type. If you want PM me and I'll send you one... They can be refilled with Pella's

Just this morning, I inserted a Ted Pella blade into my Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic and encountered the same issue.

That razor has the advantage of being able to unlock the head and that's what it took to avoid harm to either me or the cartridge. Haven't shaved with it yet to determine if there was intitial harm to the blade.

Great tip, Phil.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey Phil, I bought a bunch of these last December from Hocks.com... thet are all metal and I have no problems with these. They are the metal type. If you want PM me and I'll send you one... They can be refilled with Pella's

I've got it! Thanks for the hocks.com tip, a bit cheaper than drugstore.com
I've ordered some. If these don't work out, I guess I could reload my all brass magazine, just seems like a hassle.
I guess that's the price we pay for shaving perfection though, eh?

I had a similar problem. I just reloaded an all metal Schick Injector. I did have a small problem, the ASR blades seems to be slightly longer. I had take a screw driver and move the backstop back a little. I loaded my Personna Stainless Steel Injector without issue.

See my thread on dealing with these cartridges.

If you have a blade bank in place for disposing of your other blades, you'd do well to use that instead of the compartment in the plastic cartridges. Chances are, that's what the blades were that fell on the OP's floor when the cartridge came apart.

The key in the technique is to visibly twist and orient the new blade so that it matches the orientation of the blade it's trying to replace. As with most things razor related, it can all go bad in a hurry if you find yourself applying a lot of force to accomplish the deed.

- Chris

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
See my thread on dealing with these cartridges.

If you have an blade bank in place for disposing of your other blades, you'd do well to use that instead of the compartment in the plastic cartridges. Chances are, that's what the blades were that fell on the OP's floor when the cartridge came apart.

It was the first blade out of the magazine, the blades that dropped were actually the new, unused blades.
Interestingly, they all held together and fell as a unit until they hit the tile floor, then they went their separate ways! :lol:

The key in the technique is to visibly twist and orient the new blade so that it matches the orientation of the blade it's trying to replace. As with most things razor related, it can all go bad in a hurry if you find yourself applying a lot of force to accomplish the deed.

- Chris

Guilty as charged. I am not the most patient guy when it comes to stuff like that, and I should be.
I'm sure that if I had used finesse instead of force, none of it would have happened.

Your guide is excellent by the way - thanks for that.

Last edited:
It was the first blade out of the magazine, the blades that dropped were actually the new, unused blades.
Interestingly, they all held together and fell as a unit until they hit the tile floor, then they went thier separate ways! :lol:

Crazy! Usually the spring that presses the blades together will convince them to stay in the metal part of the cartridge after the plastic part has parted company.

Thanks for your report.

- Chris

I pretty much use injectors exclusively now. I bought one of those plastic magazines (CVS) and it was so aggravating, I refuse to use it again.

I took the blades out and reloaded them into a metal magazine.

I only use the so-called "Chinese Schicks" that come in an all metal magazine. The quality of the blades is indistinguishable. I'd recommend these or NOS Schicks. Those are the only way to go IMO.

Anyone who uses an old Schick Injector is aware of the "quality" of the Injector magazine holding the blades that are used in these fine single edge razors. Positively not the same build quality as the ones originally made by Schick.
It's been a while since I used any of my Injectors, and today I decided to give it a run with one of my old type E injectors.
I grabbed the new pack of baldes that I had picked up a few months ago, and proceeded to inject a blade into the razor.
Inserted key into the razor, drew back the magazine handle and started to inject the new blade.
First sign of problems. No go on blade movement.
Ah, this has happened before, just have to "wiggle" the magazine a bit to get things to line up.
Ok, blade starts moving into the razor, and bang! The whole injector slide pops over the edge of the razor and the plastic cover pops off of the magazine entirely.
Blades drop out of the magazine, all over the floor.
Ok, I'll get those in a second - first things first, get the blade the rest of the way into the razor.
Withdraw the slider again, and push the blade in.
As I do this, I can physically see the blade moving back and forth in the razor, with the leading edge of the blade coming into contact with the blade stopper at the end of the razor.
Nothing visible on the blade though - looks ok.
Toss the injector magazine in the trash, pick up the scattered blades and toss them as well.
Normal prep, lather, and go to it with a shave.
Not good. First attempt at first pass WTG is harsh.
It is obvious that the blade edge has been damaged by its wiggling path into the razor.
Set aside the Injector and finsish with a DE.
Got to thinking later that I knew the blade was damaged because I knew what a great smooth shave these razors can give. I know from experience.
For those guys who don't have a lot of experience with the Injectors let me say this;

1. The build quality of the new magazine blade holders is absolute crap. Be VERY careful if you are using them, because a slip is just a moment away from a slice to a finger or hand, especially if you have a catastrophic failure like I did this morning.

2. Even without failure, most of the time, there is a bit of "wiggle" necessary to get the blade moving into the razor. Be aware that though a "bit" of wiggle is needed, movement of the blade puts it at risk of being damaged by the razor blade stops.

3. Assess your shave from the moment the blade touches your skin. Someone of less experience may have not known better, and might have continued with the shave, thinking that they were doing something wrong, and trying to correct it as they went. Bad idea. If it feels bad - stop. It should not feel bad, or rough. Forcing your way through a shave is asking for trouble.
There WILL be blood.

I am now on a mission to find a better source of blades than the ASR / Personna magazines currently sold in drug stores. If I find a source, I'll post it here on B&B. If you know of a decent source of quality Injectors, please let me know - because unless I find a new supply of magazines - I have to say I'm done with Injectors.

For clarity - here is a picture of the culprit;

Reminds me of the reports of British ammo boxes found with the marks of frantic hands trying to claw them open at Isandlwana.

When shaving with an Injector or fighting hordes of Zulus with Martini-Henry rifles, best to make sure that your ammo replenishment system works before you need it.

I took the blades out and reloaded them into a metal magazine.

if you guys are going to the trouble of reloading these blades into metal cartridges, you may as well go the full monty while you're at it and instead reload your injector with feather disposable straight razor blades.

it entails one additional step--snipping off a bit of the feather's additional length. it's really pretty easy. i've done it and it works great.
i first read about it here: http://www.shaveblog.com/2005/08/hail-andy.html

there are also several similar threads to be found on b&b.
good shaves to you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom