What's new

Injector Revelations

Well, really, just one I suppose. I've got a G-type, and I've been using Schick blades from Hocks.com (great price, fast shipment).

It's the blade grind, gents - that's all the difference. Honestly. The distinction is comparable to wedge vs. hollow between injector vs double-edge. I think this makes for a more persuasive edge that really gets the job done. It's also what makes it a little less "fun" I suspect. It's easy to mow down whiskers.

Actually, I think the design of the head does help in finding your angle as well. The feedback is pretty clear when you're on or off angle.

Overall, I'm enjoying the G-type. I'm about to thin the herd a bit - the PILS just wiped out my budget for a while - and this little guy is certainly making the cut! :thumbup:

Glad to hear you are having great success with the Injectors.

I have three (a Type E, Type I, and Type L), and they all give me a superb shave.

Unfortunately, I have too many razors (around 10-12), and I can only shave once a day. :lol::lol:

When I got into this hobby, I thought I would settle on one razor, one brush, one shaving cream, and one aftershave. It's not close to happening, as I suffer from almost every AD known to the shaving world. :001_rolle:001_rolle

I've got a pretty large selection of injectors, and like most of them, but that G type should be all you really need. For myself, I don't find that the easiness makes the shave less enjoyable, but I think I know what other people mean when they say that.

Others have speculated that it's the stiffness of the blade that makes the difference, but I don't really know.

How long does a typical blade last for an injector. I have a couple of these residing in my drawer untouched from a couple lots I boughten on the bay. Maybe I should give them a try.

They really don't look as fun as DE shaving though....

How long does a typical blade last for an injector. I have a couple of these residing in my drawer untouched from a couple lots I boughten on the bay. Maybe I should give them a try.

I would say roughly 7 shaves, or so. But like everything else, blade longevity is largely a function of your individual face, and beard characteristics.

For purposes of comparison, I get 3-4 shaves from a DE blade.

I have gotten 10 good shaves from a modern Schick injector blade, 6 from the Personna ones. Before, I was changing the Schicks after 7 or 8 shaves.

On the other hand, I have read people's claims that they got only 2 or 3 shaves from the same blades. Different things could account for this, you'll just have to see how it works for you.

I also have several different varieties of NOS vintage blades, none of which I have tried yet. I've seen some extreme claims for how long the Personna 74s, in particular, will last.

Harvitz81 said:

It's hard to quantify fun.:001_smile I like them, you may not.

There's an old Schick commercial from the late 60s, early 70s that addresses the thickness of the Injector blade vs. that of a DE blade.

It mentions how DE blades are not as stiff and can shimmy when in use. The actor in the commercial uses a bar of soap to demonstrate how stable an Injector blade is (clean, smooth cut on the bar of soap), and then shows how the DE blade makes a rough jagged path down the edge of the soap.

It seems like a valid argument to me.

The Injectors are very good at what they do, because they make shaving so easy - cartridge-like, actually - that the learning curve is not as steep as it can be with DE.

Top Bottom