What's new

Injector Razors: More PRO than CON

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Qualifier: I own and use DE, SE and SE injector razors and don't plan to give any up. This thread is mostly for members who have not tried an injector razor yet.
PRO:
1. Cost is moderate for this vintage razor.
2. Very easy to use; Great shaves.
3. Easiest to clean of any razor I have.
4. Safe blade changing; You never touch the new blade.
5. Blades last MUCH longer than DE blades.
CON: (compared to most DE and SE razors)
1. Stamped metal construction with a plastic or bakelite handle on majority of models.
2. Very light razor.
3. Blade selection is limited to 2 for new blades:
a. Schick
b. Personna
Fortunately these blades are high quality and readily available.

Any questions or comments from users or not yet users are welcome.

Last edited:
Another PRO: Very maneuverable, especially in tough spots, like under the nose.

I don't think "Very light razor" is a con.

I love my injectors!

I'd like to add another PRO: Very intuitive to learn, especially for those just converting from a cartridge razor.

I also feel that being light is not a disadvantage. I particularly like the light weight and shorter handles for the older (pre-J) razors. As Szyman01 observes, those qualities, plus the smaller shaving head, add to the maneuverability of the razor. Also, they make great travel razors for any type of transportation other than by air (but that's not the razor's fault).

While it is true that they are generally constructed of stamped metal and bakelite or plastic, that does not mean that they are flimsy or cheaply made. They tend to be sturdy and reliable, and they can stand rough usage as well as modern razors--in fact, I think they could survive a drop test better than most other razors.

I, too, love injectors.

Ted Pella blades are Personnas. I like injectors a lot. Very nice shaves with a short learning curve. There's a lot to like about them.

It's all I use. An elegant approach to whisker whackin'. Here's my Schick F (all metal) and fine shaver.
$P1090574.jpg

It's all I use. An elegant approach to whisker whackin'. Here's my Schick F (all metal) and fine shaver.
The Schick model F is one of the only razors I'd make a special effort to acquire, if I decided I didn't already have enough of them (all kinds, with the exception of straights). That one is a beauty; not sure I'd put it to use, it's so marvelous of a "looker" right now.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Szyman01 and xxvaleria (Steve), I agree with your responses. I could have just gone with CON #3 only, but I didn't want to appear prejudiced.:wink2:

That's OK, Mike. I have to admit that I AM prejudiced in favor of injectors, but I do recognize that other people may not like them as well as I do. I also own several good DE and SE razors, but I tend to favor the injectors over all the others, except my Cobra Classic, and it might as well be an injector on steroids.

I started with DE then go t into the SE, and recently got first 2 injectors. As stated above they have many Pros and the negatives are not that big (weight and material).

They are very much worth trying out if you have not yet picked one up.

I feel like i have went down the same path as others in this thread, DE, SE, and now curious about injectors. How do they compare to my 1912 SE? If i were to pick one up to try, any i should keep an eye out for? I have to admit that a PAL seems most interesting to me

Nygel, I like the Schick Types E and G and the PAL Injectomatic, and I know that Mike prefers the Schick HydroMagic models. Any of them would be an excellent injector razor. If you would like a HydroMagic model they are the Schick Types I2, J3, and J4 for men, and any of the Type K Schicks for women. Men can also use the Type Ks, but they come in light blue or pink to please the ladies.

I would say that they shave much like a 1912, but are maybe a little easier to use. Also, I get many more shaves from an injector blade.

Last edited:
I feel like i have went down the same path as others in this thread, DE, SE, and now curious about injectors. How do they compare to my 1912 SE? If i were to pick one up to try, any i should keep an eye out for? I have to admit that a PAL seems most interesting to me

That is hard to answer.

I get great shaves from DE's, and I like the weight, look and feel of them.

The SE's (1912, Jr., Damaskeene, MMTOC) also give great shaves, and have even better sound effects :001_cool:

The injectors are the easiest to use (for me), and as a head shaver I find them very good for getting a smooth dome.

I have a G and an E model, and both are very good shavers.

thanks for the heads up guys, looks like its down the rabbit hole for me :p i usually get about 7 shave or so out of a SE gem blade, how many do people really get from injectors? Do they have the same issue of being sssooo sharp right out of the box that you need to cork them so don't make a blood offering?

Great thread!
Another PRO is the awesome futuristic alien/ocean floor style designs of these razors - they are so collectible...

thanks for the heads up guys, looks like its down the rabbit hole for me :p i usually get about 7 shave or so out of a SE gem blade, how many do people really get from injectors? Do they have the same issue of being sssooo sharp right out of the box that you need to cork them so don't make a blood offering?

I recently got 25 good shaves on a Chick blade in my Schick G4. I currently have 13 shaves on a Chick blade in my PAL Injectomatic and it's still going strong. Other gents on this forum have gotten 28 to 30 shaves on a Chick, and one member reported getting 43 shaves on a Personna 74 blade in the One Blade in February thread a few years ago (he just kept going after the month was over). I currently have 18 shaves on a Personna 74 in a Schick J4, and it is nowhere near the end.

Yes, the first shave or two on an injector blade tend to be pretty aggressive, but they soon settle down--it's just a matter of being careful for the first couple of shaves. It would be very difficult to cork them, as they are normally loaded directly from the injector. I suppose it might be possible to take one out of the injector, cork it, put it back into the injector, and then load it into the razor, but I think it would be more trouble than it would be worth.

Last edited:
Remember the B&B Mantra "YMMV", because I haven't felt the first shave or two with either an I-1 or an I-2 was particularly aggressive, even though I get closer shaves with less effort using an Injector. If I keep a carbon steel blade dry, up out of anywhere it might get moisture, between shaves, I have gotten a dozen shaves from those in a Gbar.

I never tried keeping a record of the longevity of an Injector blade until recently. I got 27 great shaves, and one damn fine shave, but the 29th was going to be one too many, and I swapped razors. I like the Gs, Is, and Js best of all of them, but I like the Pal Injectomatic quite well, also.

I always wanted an injector and now that I have one, realize that shaving with it isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I have no problems with any of the DEs in my sig, but this Schick injector is going to take some time to master. It's a Type L, btw. I assume the trick to proper technique is holding the razor flat against your face, correct? I have to keep reminding myself to do this. If I get sloppy with the angle it results in nicks. Any other hints on technique?

Shaved tonite with AOS Sandalwood oil, first try with the newly acquired P.160 (nice stuff!) and the Type L with the yellow package Schick blades. Result may not have been BBS, but it was a DFS. The Schick will stay in the rotation. And I WILL master this razor.

The angle is easy to master on an injector. Start with the shaving head flat against your face, then lower the handle just a few degrees until you can hear the whiskers being cut. That's it. The beauty of an injector is that if the angle is too shallow, it won't cut, and if the angle is too steep, the guard bar lifts the blade away from your face. As long as you don't use too much pressure, it is difficult to cut yourself unless the razor is defective.

Top Bottom