What's new

Injector razor

Just wondering what you all think of these. They look a lot easier to maneuver around the face than a safety razor (mostly in the nose area), but since there's less variety with the blades I'm not sure if they give as good a shave.

If you can get the original blades, you are good to go. To find them locally, go to an older pharmacy (apothocary), one that's been in your town for a long time, they will most likely have them. Most of their clientelle are older as they have been going there for a good number of years and there are a suprising number of older gentlemen that still use them.

Injector razors can be excellent. Very easy to use and maneuver across the face well. Good for the mouth and upper lip area and on the neck, very nimble.
The earlier models with the butterscotch bakelite handles are very attractive but can be more aggressive than later models with the plastic handles. The Schick injector was one of the most efficient razors ever made...inexpensive to make and fun to use. People liked loading new blades into one....push, click, click, pull.

I shaved with an injector back in the early '70's and was my first try and brush and Old Spice soap and mug......was a disaster....to bad there wasn't B&B back then....oh wait that was long before home computers or the internet!!
I used them with a canned foam and even went with a double blade injector blade when they came out....I actually think they were better than the cartridge type but were a bear to rinse the soap out of...

Any way give it a shot, I like them! I bet you will too!

The earlier models with the butterscotch bakelite handles are very attractive but can be more aggressive than later models with the plastic handles. The Schick injector was one of the most efficient razors ever made.

The butterscotch handled Schick that Homh describes is the "E" type. Some in his line permitted a hinge to open to allow for cleaning where the blade rested. Others were locked tight. My experience with the former is that it is slightly less agressive than the latter. The "fixed" head is one aggressive marmot, I mean weasel, I mean badger. I can't escape getting nicked or even sliced. But when I'm up for it, it is a damn close shave. They are, as Homh notes, beautiful to look at as well. I wouldn't trade mine. Here's a great link, have fun. P.S. you can still get Schick blades which are quite good and I'm told Ted Pellas are excellent.

http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

I used a type "L" for many years and as I recall it, it was great. I left it behind when I scummed to Madison avenue's multi-blade hype. I considered returning to it when I decided to come back to real shaving, but decided DE had many more blade options. The injectors are a lot of fun when it is time to change blades. Hum, maybe I will look in to it a bit more....... :biggrin:

injectors can be great, you will need old stock as I don't think anyone makes them at this time.

Amazon carries the blades as well - $20 for 28 authentic Schick blades. Ted Pella is another place popular for good blades/prices - 4.50 for 20 plus shipping. Some folks say the Pella 'injector' mechanism isn't quite a smooth as Schick's, but the blades are more than fine.

As for Injectors, excellent shavers. I found I got more shaves from an injector blade than a DE, but... your results may be different.

Top Bottom