What's new

Injector question

I think the injectors clamp the blade much more tightly than the magazine razors. The function of the key is to open the jaws and relieve tension. It is much safer to use a proper Injector with key.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I think the injectors clamp the blade much more tightly than the magazine razors. The function of the key is to open the jaws and relieve tension. It is much safer to use a proper Injector with key.
VERY good point.....and I've never tried that technique with an injector razor, only with a magazine razor. @JerseyMike, please take note.

The Shick M was my entry into the injector razors and I've never been sorry. I think it's a first class shaving tool and you will have to actively attempt to cut yourself with it. Most comfortable shave I've ever had, and I've used several DE razors, both fixed and adjustable. I can't see why anyone would recommend starting on something other than an adjustable. You got a great price. I did well for $25 on one that looks brand new and came with two brands of blades.

You can learn more about your razor here:

Sorry I am late to the game here. Yes, you will do fine with the type M and that was an excellent price! Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Proline blades do not come with a key. You will need to load them into an empty Schick injector key. My local Long's/ CVS carry the Schick blades so you may find them locally to you.
Great bit of advice. I think I got P-30 if it makes any difference in the blade loading. Is it Ok if I was to swap them out with a cheaper key, and use the Schick blade?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Great bit of advice. I think I got P-30 if it makes any difference in the blade loading. Is it Ok if I was to swap them out with a cheaper key, and use the Schick blade?
P-30 blades are Artist Club blades (if I'm not mistaken). The Schick Prolines are "B's", not "P's"....just a heads-up there. As to your second question, I'm not sure I'm following, but @Whiterook may be able to weigh in there. By the way, this is what the injector cartridge looks like -- the "STEM" is the "key" we keep referring to. Hope this helps and I apologize if you knew this already.

71qpWs9fRyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sorry I can't help much with the Proline blades as I only use Schick injector and Personna myself. You can load an empty key with new blades and I have done so. I know that some Proline blades will fit your razor and some won't. Amazon has Schick Injector blades with prime "free" shipping.

I would recommend perfecting your technique w a non adjustable first. The E2 is the best of the Schicks IMHO but a G or J with their brass heads would be more suitable for a newbie. And use only Chinese made Schick blades in the yellow package. Welcome to the injector family, a shaving system that will provide a lifetime of excellent shaves

Are you just commenting to get your post count up? Or just legitimately trolling me and commenting your opinion to be useless?

Gillette fatboy , slim, Merkur futur would beg to differ there are no adjustable DE’s.

Or a typo - the S and D keys are adjacent.
Personally, I'd prefer learning on a non-adjustable version first, but that's just me.

I was curious if the schick injector with adjustable dial is a good starting point into injector razors?

If you have found a nice Schick Adjustable at a fair price go for it! Get yourself some Schick blades (I don't care for Ted Pellas/Personnas) and start at 3 on the dial. That is a mild and comfortable setting, I would say similar to a Schick Injector "L".
Angle is very intuitive, You won't have any problem to get an easy comfortable shave. When you will feel confident with your new razor crank up the setting a notch or two to increase the efficiency.

I was curious if the schick injector with adjustable dial is a good starting point into injector razors?
Yes, it is. I chose the Schick Adjustable Injector and couldn't be happier. I see no reason to buy any other razor, whether DE, SE, or whatever, at this point.

Amazing post. I got the M / adjustable for about $15 in great shape . I pulled the trigger on it so I figured why not. Ordered Schick Prolines to give it a whirl and can start mild, then go from there . I appreciate your input!!
Wow, where did you find one for $15? I would like to pick up another couple of them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
M series injector is a nice razor and gives the operator some room to dial in his or her shave nicer. 2 or 3 setting is a good sweet spot to start out IMO.
Schick Prolines B20 are designed for shavettes and sit lower in the injector razor + they have large Radis on the corner of blades and care has to used to sight in blade is seated properly. If you want to use your P30 blades you will have to trim the ends to proper length to make them work.(If you have a old key you can load the Schick proline easier.)
When you inject your blade make sure the new edge does not rub the blade stop or it will dull the blade and ruin your shave & blade.(not a big issue but a person has to be aware of it).

Schick proline B20 blade barely seated.........................Schick regular blade seated properly on stops.
Schick proline b-20 vs regular1 (2).jpg
Schick regular vs Schick Proline 4 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Yes, it is. I chose the Schick Adjustable Injector and couldn't be happier. I see no reason to buy any other razor, whether DE, SE, or whatever, at this point.
The Gillette Tech is a seriously amazing razor . I bet if they produced these again, they would sell. It’s the best razor I have tried personally , for the beard lines .

Why no love for the EMS/Pella Personna injector blades?

are the Chinese ones really that much better??

I've had great shaves in my injectors with these... and terrible shaves from the two vintage blades I've tried (1970s Shicks and Personna 74*s, both from sealed retail packages).

Why no love for the EMS/Pella Personna injector blades?
I have used Personna Injector blades for many years and I think they are good blades. I remember using them as the Long's Drugs house branded platinum blades. I have always disliked the injector body itself because it can be fiddly. Long's no longer carries these, but they do have the Schick blades which I buy from them. Schick blades are a bit smoother and the injector housing is sound.

Top Bottom