What's new

Injector question

Whether it’s a single or a double edge razor, I’ve always felt it best to familiarize yourself with a basic model before going into the adjustables that may or may not have the same feel as the non adjustable models.

Whether it’s a single or a double edge razor, I’ve always felt it best to familiarize yourself with a basic model before going into the adjustables that may or may not have the same feel as the non adjustable models.
I think adjustable de’s are fine to learn on... the razor’s technique overall remains similar regardless .

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I think adjustable de’s are fine to learn on

There are no adjustable DE razors.

It depends on whether you like mild or aggressive razors. If aggressive, look for a model E or G. If mild, try to find a model L or N.

They go from wild to mild as they progress from model a to O.

A good in between is an I1. Or if you prefer longer handles, the J models are also great.

I prefer mild razors and love the model N.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I was curious if the schick injector with adjustable dial is a good starting point into injector razors?
Schick M razors are nice, and I don't think you can go wrong with one as a "starter". That said, M's are pricier than some of the other models, so if you're dipping your toe into injectors, maybe you want to go on the more inexpensive side. And of course vintage injectors are far more modestly priced than many new or vintage DE razors (with the exceptions of the "collector" models (A through D, the F and some E's).

I have A through H, and K through O -- and I haven't had a bad shave from any of the models. Some are a bit more efficient, a few can be aggressive if I get sloppy with my technique, but all of them are comfortable shavers and will get the job done as well (or IMO better). So here's my 2-cents, if you want to go as inexpensively as possible, I would consider a bakelite handle Schick -- many of the G's and some are E's. They were made my the millions (I'm guessing) and they are typically very inexpensive. I would lean more towards the G than the E -- both from a cost stand point (E's are typically pricier than G's), and E's can be (for some) a touch aggressive. My first Schick was an E3 and I love it today, but when I first got it, I gave myself the worse case of razor burn I had ever had. The E's tend to be more efficient than the G's and the G's more efficient than the K's, and so on and so forth. A general rule of thumb is that the further in the alphabet you go, the efficiency tends to decrease.

So you can start with an M and sort of play with the settings, or you can start with a G and hit a rough "median" of efficiency, or if you prefer milder razors, I would go with an L. Oh and if you're a clean-freak, you may want to consider the I, J or K that have the hydrostatic lever....it lets the head drop down (the blade stays in place, just the head opens up) and lets you thoroughly rinse the blade.

Last tip, get the Schick injector blades in the yellow package. You can find them on Amazon or in some mom and pop drug stores (not the chain stores or big box retailers). Those are made in China, but they are widely accepted by most Schick users as the best modern blade. They come in a solid metal injector (not plastic) and they last me well over 10 (probably 15 to 20) shaves per blade.

Hope that helps, and continue asking questions and letting us know where you land on this. If I don't answer quickly over the next few days, it's because I'm dealing with a hurricane (Delta).

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would pick up a Schick L or J... an O would be great if you can find one. J will probably be easiest to find.
I've NEVER known the difference of all those letters. I honestly blame my dyslexia. If I were to learn I'd just forget. I have two. I should post a picture some day. They both have pretty tan/brown swirly looking handles that I think are bakelite, with gold metal on the heads. One looks barely used, the other kinda well used.

Schick M razors are nice, and I don't think you can go wrong with one as a "starter". That said, M's are pricier than some of the other models, so if you're dipping your toe into injectors, maybe you want to go on the more inexpensive side. And of course vintage injectors are far more modestly priced than many new or vintage DE razors (with the exceptions of the "collector" models (A through D, the F and some E's).

I have A through H, and K through O -- and I haven't had a bad shave from any of the models. Some are a bit more efficient, a few can be aggressive if I get sloppy with my technique, but all of them are comfortable shavers and will get the job done as well (or IMO better). So here's my 2-cents, if you want to go as inexpensively as possible, I would consider a bakelite handle Schick -- many of the G's and some are E's. They were made my the millions (I'm guessing) and they are typically very inexpensive. I would lean more towards the G than the E -- both from a cost stand point (E's are typically pricier than G's), and E's can be (for some) a touch aggressive. My first Schick was an E3 and I love it today, but when I first got it, I gave myself the worse case of razor burn I had ever had. The E's tend to be more efficient than the G's and the G's more efficient than the K's, and so on and so forth. A general rule of thumb is that the further in the alphabet you go, the efficiency tends to decrease.

So you can start with an M and sort of play with the settings, or you can start with a G and hit a rough "median" of efficiency, or if you prefer milder razors, I would go with an L. Oh and if you're a clean-freak, you may want to consider the I, J or K that have the hydrostatic lever....it lets the head drop down (the blade stays in place, just the head opens up) and lets you thoroughly rinse the blade.

Last tip, get the Schick injector blades in the yellow package. You can find them on Amazon or in some mom and pop drug stores (not the chain stores or big box retailers). Those are made in China, but they are widely accepted by most Schick users as the best modern blade. They come in a solid metal injector (not plastic) and they last me well over 10 (probably 15 to 20) shaves per blade.

Hope that helps, and continue asking questions and letting us know where you land on this. If I don't answer quickly over the next few days, it's because I'm dealing with a hurricane (Delta).
Amazing post. I got the M / adjustable for about $15 in great shape . I pulled the trigger on it so I figured why not. Ordered Schick Prolines to give it a whirl and can start mild, then go from there . I appreciate your input!!

Sorry I am late to the game here. Yes, you will do fine with the type M and that was an excellent price! Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Proline blades do not come with a key. You will need to load them into an empty Schick injector key. My local Long's/ CVS carry the Schick blades so you may find them locally to you.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Sorry I am late to the game here. Yes, you will do fine with the type M and that was an excellent price! Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Proline blades do not come with a key. You will need to load them into an empty Schick injector key. My local Long's/ CVS carry the Schick blades so you may find them locally to you.
Hey @JerseyMike congrats on the M -- and you did well on the price. @Whiterook is correct that Schick Prolines (B-20 is usually what I've seen) are great blades, but they don't come with the key on the end of the injector. I've "hand" inserted Prolines in my Schick A's, B's, and C's (all Magazine Repeating razors which don't have a place for a modern "keyed" injector) using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the blade (away from the edge) and then lining it up and pushing it in. I would imagine that technique would work with a more modern injector-ready razor, but I can't say for sure. You can also hand-load the Proline into a keyed injector and then go from there. If you want to see a pic of how to hand load directly into the razor, let me know and I'll take a snapshot or two to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Others can probably advise you on how to move blades from a Proline cartridge into a keyed injector. But the easiest thing to do would be to find some yellow-packaged injector Schick blades.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey @JerseyMike congrats on the M -- and you did well on the price. @Whiterook is correct that Schick Prolines (B-20 is usually what I've seen) are great blades, but they don't come with the key on the end of the injector. I've "hand" inserted Prolines in my Schick A's, B's, and C's (all Magazine Repeating razors which don't have a place for a modern "keyed" injector) using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the blade (away from the edge) and then lining it up and pushing it in. I would imagine that technique would work with a more modern injector-ready razor, but I can't say for sure. You can also hand-load the Proline into a keyed injector and then go from there. If you want to see a pic of how to hand load directly into the razor, let me know and I'll take a snapshot or two to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Others can probably advise you on how to move blades from a Proline cartridge into a keyed injector. But the easiest thing to do would be to find some yellow-packaged injector Schick blades.
You sir, are a wimp!

I hold them blades in my teeth and close my lazy eye and line up my good eye with the razor in the mirror and press it against the glass, Baby!!!

Top Bottom