What's new

Injector, Gem and AC formats: Compare them for me

I am an experienced user of both injectors and Gem-style SE razors, but I’ve yet to take the plunge into artist club blade SE razors. So, I’m looking for some comments from members based on a comparison between the injector, Gem, and AC formats.

By way of further background, I get generally get great shaves from both my injector and Gem-style razors. I mostly favor the middle ground in terms of aggressiveness; the Schick Type G and I and the Gem 1912 are my reference points, though I also like the Ever Ready 1914 and 1924 when I want to up the aggression a bit. I’m always interested in expanding my shaving horizons, but I’ve been somewhat reluctant to enter the AC world, deterred primarily by both the cost and limited availability of AC blades.

From those of you with experience with all three formats, what can I expect, in comparison, from the AC format?

Thanks for your input, and here’s wishing you a new year that is smooth, comfortable and nick-free!

I’ll try to be concise on my thoughts (YMMV of course):

- Standard SE format: I’ve only used vintage. Decent shaves, cool looking razors, but can feel rough due to blade chatter. Was fun to dip my toe in, but ultimately not the format for me.

- Injector format: closest thing to a cart without being a cart. Prefer the more mild range (Schick M adjustable is currently my favorite). Enjoy the shaves way more than standard SE. Smooth and comfortable shaves every time as long as the blade is good. I feel like I’m cheating!

- AC SE format: Have shaves with a fairly wide variety of razors from the RX (very aggressive) to the Hawk (so mild that I couldn’t get too close a shave). Allows AC open blade lovers a new range of high quality shave options. Again prefer the milder side (the brass General is my ideal AC razor currently, shaved with one though I don’t own one sadly). Chatter is a non issue for most razors, usually excellent shaves considering you have a tiny samurai sword held up to your face, head profiles are usually minimal and more easily maneuvered, kind of the big brother/successor to the injector.

The AC format is no more less (or more) viable than any other. They all give pretty darn good shaves when given ample time to learn about the razor.

I use GEM, Schick and a modified ECO regularly and am well served by the razors. I did try a BlackHawk and found that the additional length was my main sticking point. The BH shaved well above the jaw line but the long edge length under the jaw did not work well with all the changing direction on the neck and under the jaw. That is my take, however the Hawk series is affordable and maybe worth a try for you, a large number of people have found AC razors to be top-notch.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My most used SE is my brass general (sorry GearNoir). I’ve tried the SE1 (just shipped for return today, too much blade feel for me) and SE2 (oddly enough, I liked this one better although I ended up trading it off a while back for a hone), and I have a Vector Preorder in now. The blades I prefer in the General are the Prolines which cost about 9 dollars per 30 pack on Rakuten.

My GEM experience is an Everready 1912 and I had a Blackland Sabre for a while but didn’t care for the angle at which the Sabre liked to shave. The GEM PTFE blades are my favorites in my 1912, very smooth shavers, but I haven’t found a GEM razor I like as much as an AC yet. This really comes down to available options, though, as more companies are making AC options now than GEM razors so the selection is primarily vintage.

I have a Supply 2.0 on the way which will be my first injector so I can’t compare that type quite yet.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I use GEM, Schick and a modified ECO regularly and am well served by the razors. I did try a BlackHawk and found that the additional length was my main sticking point. The BH shaved well above the jaw line but the long edge length under the jaw did not work well with all the changing direction on the neck and under the jaw. That is my take, however the Hawk series is affordable and maybe worth a try for you, a large number of people have found AC razors to be top-notch.

Interesting. I find my General navigates my jaw perfectly. This is likely based on individual factors. I have had this issue with straight razors, though, due to the directions of growth around my jaw. I would literally have to slice my ear off to shave against the grain just below the ear and under the jaw as the hair grows in toward my neck and not down. I can navigate this with an AC safety razor but don’t dare risk it with a straight.

My sample size on AC razors is one and on the low end of price. The Hawk was my go-no-go razor in the AC format. No doubt better razors may have better performance but I really do not want to navigate the highend on a discovery basis.

I’ll try to be concise on my thoughts (YMMV of course):

- Standard SE format: I’ve only used vintage. Decent shaves, cool looking razors, but can feel rough due to blade chatter. Was fun to dip my toe in, but ultimately not the format for me.

- Injector format: closest thing to a cart without being a cart. Prefer the more mild range (Schick M adjustable is currently my favorite). Enjoy the shaves way more than standard SE. Smooth and comfortable shaves every time as long as the blade is good. I feel like I’m cheating!

- AC SE format: Have shaves with a fairly wide variety of razors from the RX (very aggressive) to the Hawk (so mild that I couldn’t get too close a shave). Allows AC open blade lovers a new range of high quality shave options. Again prefer the milder side (the brass General is my ideal AC razor currently, shaved with one though I don’t own one sadly). Chatter is a non issue for most razors, usually excellent shaves considering you have a tiny samurai sword held up to your face, head profiles are usually minimal and more easily maneuvered, kind of the big brother/successor to the injector.

The AC format is no more less (or more) viable than any other. They all give pretty darn good shaves when given ample time to learn about the razor.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply. Very helpful.

I've never been able get a comfortable shave from a gem razor, but I've got a G-bar in the mail and will try again. I really like my ATT SE1 Aluminum. Very easy to use compared to my Mongoose, which is a heavy beast. I have a RX asylum coming next week, which I'm really looking forward to trying. My wife uses a Schick cartridge and finds it the closest thing to her old disposables.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As with all things wet shaving, this is also YMMV.

My current razors in each category:

GEM style blade
Blackland Sabre
GEM Featherweight
GEM 1912 Junior
GEM G Bar
GEM Bullet
GEM MMOC
and probably more.....

Artist Club blade
RazoRock Hawk V2
Above The Tie SE1
Occam's Razor

Injector
Schick (Butterscotch handle)
Schick (Off-white handle)

Preferences
Blackland Sabre
GEM Featherweight
GEM 1912 Junior
GEM G Bar
RazoRock Hawk V2
Schick Injector

I love the GEM style SE razors. They really deliver the shaves!

Any of the razors listed are capable of consistent DFS to BBS shaves. Just depends on what feels right to the individual.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

As with all things wet shaving, this is also YMMV.

My current razors in each category:

GEM style blade
Blackland Sabre
GEM Featherweight
GEM 1912 Junior
GEM G Bar
GEM Bullet
GEM MMOC
and probably more.....

Artist Club blade
RazoRock Hawk V2
Above The Tie SE1
Occam's Razor

Injector
Schick (Butterscotch handle)
Schick (Off-white handle)

Preferences
Blackland Sabre
GEM Featherweight
GEM 1912 Junior
GEM G Bar
RazoRock Hawk V2
Schick Injector

I love the GEM style SE razors. They really deliver the shaves!

Any of the razors listed are capable of consistent DFS to BBS shaves. Just depends on what feels right to the individual.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)
Whats your blade of choice in the Sabre? How would you rate the aggressiveness?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Whats your blade of choice in the Sabre? How would you rate the aggressiveness?

I have the Level 2 baseplate on my Sabre.

I would rate it as medium, maybe slightly on the mild side of medium. The GEM MMOC is certainly more aggressive. The GEM Featherweight Deluxe is milder.

Both are very nimble razors.

I could live with the Featherweight Deluxe or the Sabre as my only razor and be perfectly happy. :)

The blade I use is the Ted Pella GEM Personna.

Top Bottom