What's new

Injector Disinfecting?

Not sterilizing - I don't think most of the handles could take it. And no, this isn't exactly the perennial (dare we call it chronic?) used razor disinfecting subject. For injectors, the two bothersome issues are preventing damage to plastic handles, and injectors that don't open to allow cleaning. Am assuming dunking the entire thing in Barbercide or Mar-V-Cide may not be a good idea. But I'm really troubled by the idea of crud in used, non-opening, injectors. If you can't clean away the crud, then a good dose of disinfectant might not do the job.

Comments?

Not sterilizing - I don't think most of the handles could take it. And no, this isn't exactly the perennial (dare we call it chronic?) used razor disinfecting subject. For injectors, the two bothersome issues are preventing damage to plastic handles, and injectors that don't open to allow cleaning. Am assuming dunking the entire thing in Barbercide or Mar-V-Cide may not be a good idea. But I'm really troubled by the idea of crud in used, non-opening, injectors. If you can't clean away the crud, then a good dose of disinfectant might not do the job.

Comments?
I just soaked the brass parts in hot water with dawn, leaving the handle sticking up and supported. Then I finished with tooth paste. The Bakelite/catalin handles on my E Types are shiny and pristine.

Injectors are inherently self-cleaning. The act of injecting a new blade and ejecting the old blade pretty much cleans them out. Between blade changes, I just rinse with hot water--soap scum on the inside doesn't bother me because it's...soap, and it's invisible from the outside. It's OK to dip the heads into some 91% Isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes, but don't get alcohol on the handles.

I agree with brother XX above.

I have over 15 injector razors, have used injectors fairly often since 1957, and have never found any crud or germs inside the heads. As stated above, they are self-cleaning each time the blade is changed.

Not to worry!

Comments?
I insert a toothpick in to the injector blade slot which opens up the blade holder. Along with my other razors I first dunk it in a scrubby bubbles like product which also has bleach in it. I keep it in this pool for like 12 hours and a lot of grime just comes off.

Post that I rinse it in water then it goes in to another bucket with barbicide solutions for another 12 hours or even 18.

Rinse with water - yank out the tooth pick and it's all new shiny, sanitized with zero damage.

I just finished one bucket full of razors from the bay yesterday.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I’ve just used scrubbing bubbles on the head. Just soak for 1t minutes or so, scrub with a soft toothbrush, repeat. Then dip the head in rubbing alcohol for 10 seconds and let air dry. It is the drying action that does the disinfecting. After that in normal use, just replacing the blade is sufficient.

Injectors are inherently self-cleaning. The act of injecting a new blade and ejecting the old blade pretty much cleans them out. Between blade changes, I just rinse with hot water--soap scum on the inside doesn't bother me because it's...soap, and it's invisible from the outside. It's OK to dip the heads into some 91% Isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes, but don't get alcohol on the handles.

I was thinking of the part between the top of the head and the spring on types J and after.

I think you don’t need to worry. My late dad only shave with a Schick Injector up through the J type. He never had any problems. As has bee previously mentioned, they are inherently self cleaning. If they weren’t and considering the litigacous society we live in, Eversharp Schick and its subsequent firms would have had their pants sued off years a few decades ago.

I think you don’t need to worry. My late dad only shave with a Schick Injector up through the J type. He never had any problems. As has bee previously mentioned, they are inherently self cleaning. If they weren’t and considering the litigacous society we live in, Eversharp Schick and its subsequent firms would have had their pants sued off years a few decades ago.

I can't argue against that. Be that as it may, I don't think they foresaw the second-hand razor market, or passed on to another generation. Where the blade goes is self-cleaning to a large extent, but the part lower town, where the bottom piece presses against the top, is another matter.

One solution to people like me who find that off-putting is NOS or Schick/Eversharp through Hydro-Matic models. But I was wondering if there was a way to clean the later models.

Note: I have cleaned my adjustable, but will not say how because it's a wonder I didn't end up destroying it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've used dental floss to polish out the area between parts when I've picked up used Schicks. The floss will pick up alot of crud. After an initial disinfection of the metal parts (only let the alcohol soak a bakelite handle once, learned that wasn't wise). I've not seen the need to continue with the dental floss after the initial going over.

I just scrubbed them the best I could with hot soapy water and an old toothbrush. I like the dental floss idea!

Has anyone ever heard of one documented case of a shaver getting sick or dying, because he shaved with a newly purchased used razor that wasn't cleaned or disinfected before he used it?

I have not died or become sick from us
Has anyone ever heard of one documented case of a shaver getting sick or dying, because he shaved with a newly purchased used razor that wasn't cleaned or disinfected before he used it?
Brother Steve, I am sure there is a case where someone suffered an infection from sharing a razor. After all, mixing blood and skin cells could be problematic. However, we are talking about vintage razors. A bacteria or virus cannot live than long on a metal surface. Eating and food prep utensils in restaurants would pose greater concern.

Tools which involve sharp blades, blood and being used not knowing where they've been all these years - do you really want to be casual about it ? At a minimum a barbasol dip would do wonders imho.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom