What's new

Injector Blades - Pella vs Chick

I've used the Ted Pella blade once before in a Schick Injector G (thanks to [MENTION=108562]dkeester[/MENTION]). Since that time I've used the Chick blades and gotten very satisfactory results.

So I wanted to try the Ted Pella Personna injector blades once more and ordered a 20 blade mag. I know their magazine has a reputation of being flimsy. I just attempted to load a blade in my G and the mag slider skipped right over the top of the blade. Unlike the smooth, fast eject and load action of the Schick branded magazine, I had to press downward on the mag as well as forward in order to pick up the blade, and even then it was a struggle to push the blade into the razor.

Have they always been like this?

proxy.php

Not sure if they've always been like that but they have been as long as I've been using them. One thing that helps is to push up on the magazine to help the blade line up as you inject it. If you have to push really hard, it might be because the blade isn't lined up right.

Yup. The Pella magazines are... difficult to use. I like the blades, but hate the magazines. I am thinking about reusing an empty Schick magazine for them.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I find that a Chinese Schick blade better than a Pella blade. One or the other, I get great shaves out of them.

So...loaded up a brand new Pella for this morning. Though it was a passable shave, it was far less smooth than the Chinese Schick blades deliver.

These Personna made blades are not as sharp, and though I had no major errors, the roughness of the blade against the skin was noticeable. I was using my favorite lather (Razorock XXX with a Plissoft synthetic brush). It's a lather that I have great results with using my other go-to blades.

I would say if I HAD to use the Ted Pella blades I could get by with them, but the Chick blades are far superior in the G injector. I have yet to try these in an E, and will probably reserve a weekend day for that test.

Chick = 1
Pella = 0

Sorry but that's the score as of this a.m. :)

Yeah, I have a Schick Type E and find the Chick far smoother than the Pella. BIG difference. A Chick with 10 shaves (about done for me) is still smoother and better than a new Pella.

Just tried the Personna/Pella Iinjector blades for the first time today. I got just as close a 2 pass shave as I get with the Chicks, but had a slightly mild alum burn where there is none with the Chicks.
And I had the same wonkiness with the injector magazine; took about 45 seconds of twist'n and fiddl'n to get the blade to go in the razor. It takes about 2 seconds to put a new blade in with the Schick magazine.

I haven't done a cost analysis yet; I'll see how many shaves I get with the Personna/Pella, but I think they're cheaper than the Schicks.

I just bought some Schick injector blades for the first time. Can't wait to try them!
I'd be interested what you think of them, which injector razor do you use? I have been debating on getting a stainless steel Pal adjustable injectors or a Personna stainless steel injector razor.
I have a Schick type G and a type L and want to get something with a little more weight to it at an affordable price.
The Supply Provision injectors would be ideal but out of my budget at this time. I hear they make good injector blades.

I'd be interested what you think of them, which injector razor do you use? I have been debating on getting a stainless steel Pal adjustable injectors or a Personna stainless steel injector razor.
I have a Schick type G and a type L and want to get something with a little more weight to it at an affordable price.
The Supply Provision injectors would be ideal but out of my budget at this time. I hear they make good injector blades.

The Supply Provision blades are in carriers identical to the Ted Pella and Personna mini-hairshaper blades. I am going to assume they are all the same blades, untill someone proves me wrong.

I know I'm way late to this party, but +1 on a disappointing first impression from the TP blades AND cartridge. Willing to throw the whole thing away. Where do I get the "Chicks"?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I love my Pella injector blades, but over the course of my life I have had much better experiences with chicks.

The Chick blades are uneven in my experience. Some are fantastic, others are not. I've tried Pella Injector blades from 2 different cartridges. Not one of them has yielded a good shave.

I know I'm way late to this party, but +1 on a disappointing first impression from the TP blades AND cartridge. Willing to throw the whole thing away. Where do I get the "Chicks"?
You can get the Chinese Schick blades in the yellow package from eBay but I usually get mine from Walgreens.com and choose the ship to store option for free shipping.

To contribute to the discussion, I find the Chinese Schick blades to be very smooth where as the Personna injector blades were sharp but very rough and prone to nick and quick to cause weepers.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The Personnas are way cheaper, I've found that they don't give as good a shave, and at the price point of either I'd go with the Chicks .. but I usually use vintage Plus Platinums which I've saved up ..

I used to get the Chicks at my local independent drug store. This week I went to fill a prescription, the sign on the door said they were closed, they had been eaten by CVS .. a mile away, who doesn't stock injector blades.

Top Bottom