What's new

injector advice

i just bought this lot of 3 schick eversharp injectors from ebay. they are advertised as bakelite, but can anyone tell me which type/time period they might come from? they appear to be in decent condition, and for $7.24 including shipping its worth a shot anyway. also, anyone know a good source for injector blades other than ebay? ill probably start out with the ASR made blades from CVS, but id like to pick up some NOS US made shick blades.

proxy.php

any input would be appreciated.

These are actually the "G" type, with the plastic handles rather (not bakelite), as they were made after Eversharp took over the Schick business in 1946/7. And yes they would work with any injector blade. The later models ("I", "J", "L" etc) are more easy to shave with.
Here's a link to another great resource on Schick injectors, open the "type" tab and choose "Schick": Here

NOS injector blades are hard to come by for reasonable prices. I have a stash that I got for a reasonable price as part of a large e-bay lot.

The best value in injector blades are the boxes of 20 sold by Ted Pella (a surgical supply house) for $4.50 a box. Some folks say they are the same blades as the ASR blades, but much cheaper. I can't say for sure, but the Pella blades are quite good - the first shave can be a little harsh, but after that they smooth out quite nicely.

My preferred injector blades are the NOS Shick blades, and I think they're worth seeking out if you can get some at a reasonable price.

Also, I will agree with the comments above that the later models of injectors are better shavers in that there is more weight in the head, they have longer handles, and are less aggressive generally. That being said, my first couple of injectors were the same type as you got and I still use them on occasion and get good shaves from them.

Nice score and let us know how you like them.

The local Mom and Pop Drug Store here keeps Schick injecter blades in stock. Perhaps others could as well. Asking doesn't usually cost much.

Joe

+1 to what Suzuki said. You can tell if it's bakelite when you run it under hot water, rub the handle and you can smell it, smells like a burning chemical or something, I like that smell. I still use it once a week with a TedPella blade. They supposedly are not as good as the Schick blades but cheaper, they get the job done alright.

BTW I have given up on injectors. I went on ebay, ended up with a broken Pal, nearly cut me taking the blade out, and the second one was the last one ever made, came dirty and filthy, extremely abused. I'm done with Ebay in general. Usually I will ask for advice from someone here who is more experienced before I try such a thing again. Some experienced ones have showed me the way...there's still much I don't know.

The local Mom and Pop Drug Store here keeps Schick injecter blades in stock. Perhaps others could as well. Asking doesn't usually cost much.

Joe

Those are probably the German made ones like I get from a local independent drug store. They work well.

Those are probably the German made ones like I get from a local independent drug store. They work well.

If they're in the yellow box wth the blue Gillette, they're the german ones.

They're fine blades, but pricey - my local drugstore charges $8 for a pack of 7 blades.

The Gillette injector blades (now disconinued), if you can get them, are in par withthe best Schick blades. Especially the platinum plus variety.

If they're in the yellow box wth the blue Gillette, they're the german ones.

They're fine blades, but pricey - my local drugstore charges $8 for a pack of 7 blades.

You can get the German Schick injectors online at Hocks.com for $4.33 for a pack of 7, of course you pay shipping and handling, but if you buy several at a time, it can work out to less than a buck s&h per box. :biggrin:

i just bought this lot of 3 schick eversharp injectors from ebay. they are advertised as bakelite, but can anyone tell me which type/time period they might come from? they appear to be in decent condition, and for $7.24 including shipping its worth a shot anyway. also, anyone know a good source for injector blades other than ebay? ill probably start out with the ASR made blades from CVS, but id like to pick up some NOS US made shick blades.

proxy.php

any input would be appreciated.
Try nationwidecampus.com. Very good prices on blades. However, I think we should boycott Schick Corporation for still making the blades, but not the razors...or,a s some have already suggested approach some of the biggies to turn out an Injector that works...

Top Bottom