What's new

Injector Adventure

This past week I picked up three Schick injectors at a local antique mall and thought I'd try them out. 2 NOS Type E injectors with the copper blank it it (one had a beat up cardboard box and pack of blades), and a white handled Type J completely crusted over and full of hair. I dash off and pick up a new pack of Schick injector blades at the local Walgreens, I don't want to touch the ones that came with the razor.

Sanitize the Type Es and dunk the Type J in scrubbing bubbles. I go to take one Type E on its maiden voyage, One hand holding the razor, one hand holding the blade magazine. Put one into the other.......... CRRRRAAAAACCCCKKKK!!! :eek::eek::eek: broke the bakelite handle into five pieces. Ouch, my pride :frown:. I figured that holding the razor by the end of the handle wasn't the best idea, so i grab the other Type E by the neck and load it up. All goes well, the razor is ready to shave!

I actually got as close with an injector as I do with a DE, unfortunately, it was no where near as comfortable and it didn't seem even close to as sharp. I got done with the shave, ran my hand over the smoothness, no nicks, no irritation, but man, my face really hurts! AHHHHH, why does it hurt so? Put the balm on. Helps a bit, but it still has a generalized pain over my face.

Is it the thicker blade that's irritating? I tried to keep my technique as well as I could. Perhaps just a bad blade? I hear the Type E is fairly aggressive compared to later models, so that might be a factor. I'm definately going to give my Type J a shot in the next coming week to see.

As a side note, I found that the Gillette slide with a Schick injector to be a great move on my neck. Actually got a bit closer than with my DE. :w00t:

Joel,

I'm certainly no expert on Schick injectors, but I'll tell you my experience. I have a type G which was produced just after WWII when Eversharp bought them. The only difference I can tell is that the handle on mine is seamed plastic instead of bakelite and there are two patent numbers on it instead of one. Mine is quite aggressive, having a large gap between the blade and guard bar. If I get careless, I can give myself a nasty cut. In my case, I think the large blade gap can be a contributing factor in causing some shaving discomfort. From what I understand, Schick discontinued blade production in the US a while back and moved production to Germany. It is claimed that the German blades are not as good. I've had just as good success with the CVS/Personna injector blades, although their injector magazine leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes the slider slides over the blade or the blade doesn't line up properly to enter the razor. I've heard that someone saw some Schick injector blades marked "Made in China" that weren't bad, but I haven't seen any around here. Heck, around here, Walgreens doesn't even carry injector blades. Here's a website with some Schick information.

-Clarke

I also have a Type G and the Schick Branded injector blades seem to me to be a bit smoother than the CVS brand.

Were the blades Schick or generic? It really does make a difference. I have an E type that I use occasionally and it gives me a nice shave. I prefer the DE, however.

Injectors are fantastic shavers, but I wouldn't use any that is earlier than the 1960's, so J, K, L, M, N, and O types, work much better. Of course the quality of the blade can make a difference, but usually not that much with the first run.

Injectors are fantastic shavers, but I wouldn't use any that is earlier than the 1960's, so J, K, L, M, N, and O types, work much better. Of course the quality of the blade can make a difference, but usually not that much with the first run.
I've heard that before about the later injectors. Why do you think that is? Better in what way?

-Clarke

I've heard that before about the later injectors. Why do you think that is? Better in what way?

-Clarke

The design of the razor's head is different altogether. Better spring suspension system and better blade angle, leading to closer shave with less irritation. Also the long handle makes a big different.

Were the blades Schick or generic? It really does make a difference. I have an E type that I use occasionally and it gives me a nice shave. I prefer the DE, however.

They were Schick blades.

proxy.php

I think this depends on how thick your beard is. My beard is very coarse, so the L type that I tried just didn't do the trick. The E is more aggressive, and gave me a much better/closer shave.

I am an advocate of Pella injector blades. I have a few injectors, and have several more on their way, but they are coming from Canada, so it has already been 2.5 weeks and still waiting. Great shavers, definately a different technique, and it may take a bit of getting used to.

Yesterday I attempted the injector again, only with my Type J. It was an immensely better shave compared to the Type E. Same blade, same setup, but smooth sailing. No nicks, no burning. The injector is far easier on my neck than my DE, but rougher on my chin and upper lip.

I'm definately liking the injector now. Probably won't convert, but I plan to have a couple in my rotation. And just as I was getting my RAD under control too :biggrin:

I second the Ted Pella blades endorsement. It was the difference between a close smooth shave and razor burn with the CVS blades for me.:001_smile

Top Bottom