What's new

Initial RR La Famiglia thoughts...

Mine came. First impressions of the soap scents:

Don Marco: orange something. Reminds me of the scent of a nice orange sorbetto.
Nonno Michelino: doesn't really smell like Sandalwood to me, it smells kind of clean/soapy.
Cumba Cheech: floral + orange is a good description.
Zi' Peppino: reminds me of Tabac a little, hard to describe.

Balms:
Don Marco: smells like the soap.
Nonno Michelino: smells vaguely powdery. I do pick up a little spiciness/woodiness, but this scent (and actually the balm texture) reminds me of sunscreen for some reason.
Cumba Cheech: smells like the soap.
Zi' Peppino: doesn't smell like Tabac. A bit more like how I remember Alt Innsbruck smelled. I can pick up the tobacco note here.

Just got mine! My impressions of scent are pretty much what you said, other than Nonno soap...I pick up some sandalwood, but it's not strong. Reminds me of a lighter version of Third Eye, scent wise.

I'm excited...my nose found all of them quite pleasing, so I'm in for a treat (one day, when I decide to actually use them...current inventory is probably going to push them off for a while, but that won't stop me from busting them out for a whiff now and again!).

The Cumba Cheech should NOT smell like oranges, but everybody says it does. The description said orange BLOSSOMS.

I ordered it because orange blossom is one of the most amazingly beautiful scents in the world; but orange blossoms do NOT (I repeat do NOT) smell like orange or orange rind or orange peel or anything else orange. They are not citrusy. They are a pure floral smell.

So I'm afraid that I'm going to be disappointed by the scent of Cumba Cheech. Sigh.

The Cumba Cheech should NOT smell like oranges, but everybody says it does. The description said orange BLOSSOMS.

I ordered it because orange blossom is one of the most amazingly beautiful scents in the world; but orange blossoms do NOT (I repeat do NOT) smell like orange or orange rind or orange peel or anything else orange. They are not citrusy. They are a pure floral smell.

So I'm afraid that I'm going to be disappointed by the scent of Cumba Cheech. Sigh.

You may want to try the 888 Aftershave wax, first ingredient is Orange Blossom. And it comes through quite strong.

You may not be disappointed. I really don't get any citrus notes out of Cumba Cheech, just a nice, clean aroma. I'd have to have it in front of me to provide anything better than that. I used it this morning and really enjoyed the aroma.

I get serious Jasmine from my bowl. Other things, but this is floral.

My tracking shows nothing! I figure Canada post office tracking is as good as USPS tracking.

Once a package crosses the border the other service continues the tracking. You need to enter your tracking number in the USPS website to get updates

My wife just sent a text and said mine has arrived. I will gladly post pics after I get a chance to do some test lathers tonight

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am awful at describing scents but I am liking everything so far

Edit: for size reference that is an Omega 49

Last edited:
The Don Marco was the first soap to up to shave of the 4, as it's the one whose scent I liked the least. The scent might grow on me. It's definitely not as strong as smelling it straight from the tub, which is good cause I don't know if I can shave with Orange Gatorade as much. Don't get me wrong, I do not dislike the scent, it's just the least favorite and not something I could see getting again.

As for performance, I think it's at least the same or better than other RR soaps and the italian giants. As italian soaps are known for, these familia soaps are so easy to lather. Getting some great slick lather is great even with new brushes or brushes I'm not familiar with. The lather is slick and provides some good protection. I felt the razor slide. I shaved with a feather in my president because I can't stand feather blades. They're only good for 2 shaves for me before they go out. As such, I've used them as my test blades for new products. If I feel the feather skip some on my face, the slickness to the soap is not as good.

The Don Marco provided a comfortable and smooth glide. I can't imagine how smooth the shave will be with blades more suited to my face like my favored Iridiums. If it could provide me with a smooth slick shave in my worst blade, it passes the performance test.

My one critique, which is similar to other soaps in the RR line is that it does not leave my face as smooth or moisturized as my favored P160 does. Perhaps I compare it to such a great soap, but P160 is the standard for me with regards to post shave feel. It didn't completely dry out my face like some soaps do. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 on this. Besides, I'm following up with Don Marco ASB and from the testing I did earlier this afternoon, the RR ASB's are fantastic.

So for the first go, this was definitely great. Although, given the great quality RR is known for, I wasn't surprised. The scents are all nice and nothing too overwhelming. I don't like overwhelming scents (exception goes to RL Safari). Given that it's my first try with this soap, I can't wait to achieve its maximum potential as I continue to use it.

View attachment 245852

Last edited:
I received a tub of the Don Marco and Zi'Peppino this morning, and went ahead and palm lathered them both. First of all, just sniffing both soaps the Don Marco does remind me of orange creamsicle while the scent of the Zi'Peppino reminds me of Vaseline hand lotion. After lathering, the Don Marco opened up and smelled just like grapefruits, in particular ruby red grapefruit juice. The Zi'Peppino popped, and if this makes any sense, picked up a rich dark floral note, almost like the smell of a frsh cut flower stem. To me it smells nothing like Tabac; Tabac reminds me of Aramis, which my dad used to wear all the time when I was younger. Overall, the lather generated was slick and fantastic! I ended up saving with the Don Marco soap, and I can't wait to try the Zi'Peppino tomorrow!

Michelle, I've never heard "Cumba Cheech" before and I doubt that it belongs to any Italian dialect. We should ask Joe.

Marco, I did ask Joe he said that Cumba was a slang term for Godfather and Cheech was a name ie Godfather Cheech. Hope that helps.

I think this is the thread where there was discussion about the tubs possibly being different than the Cella tub. I took this pocket yesterday and can confirm they are in fact the same.

As the RR soaps aren't filled to the brim it is easier to lather though. I gladly will take less product for more ease in use!

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom