What's new

InItial impressions: TGN Master Badger Silvertip (short loft)

8D1358CE-D6A0-45AC-A103-BB55D994E1E8.jpeg
When re-knotting an old Ever Ready 1000L, I knew that I wanted a badger, but nothing too tall that would be floppy. In my research for a 19mm knot, I discovered a particular badger from TGN, that is particularly geared to smaller diameter knots, and those who prefer shorter lofts.

According to TGN’s website the “Master Badger silver tip is taken from the backbone, having soft tips with good elasticity. Unfortunately the hair is not long. But these knots are great for small brushes or making travel brushes.”

Here are my first impressions:

I know it’s a silvertip, but it looks like a best. Let’s just get that out of the way.

It is a bit scritchy. When I face lather, there is noticeable scritch. It’s not overwhelming, but it is there. It has softened up over a few weeks, but the scritch is there. In hope it continues to soften over time. When I paint on lather I’ve whipped up in a bowl, it’s super soft and amazing.

Backbone is fantastic. For this little badger knot, there is no flop and it has plenty of backbone to face lather. It also will whip up a lather in a bowl very nicely.

It’s shed about 5 hairs since I’ve gotten it, so I don’t think that’s an issue

It has bloomed beautifully and looks great. I look forward to years if use.

It does look different than a silvertip like you said, definitely more of a greyish tint that looks like one of their best knots or a pure knot from someone else. I think it looks cool with that handle, glad you like it!

While I don't have one of the "master" knots, the other knots seem to break-in, little by little. I try not to use the same brush, back-to-back, and had a small rotation when I re-knotted my brushes, so it's hard to say. One day they just opened up for me.
What is the loft on the brush?

While I don't have one of the "master" knots, the other knots seem to break-in, little by little. I try not to use the same brush, back-to-back, and had a small rotation when I re-knotted my brushes, so it's hard to say. One day they just opened up for me.
What is the loft on the brush?
Loft is 60mm

Tough crowd.

Handle from base to top: 50mm
Handle and brush: ~98mm

Brush loft =48mm

I estimate the depth to be 12mm

The knot size is as published. Did they set the knot in the handle? And you are right, they are good about making recommendations for their knots.

Top Bottom