What's new

Inherited Old Razors

What a lovely collection, with such a personal connection.
Welcome!

And wow! I've never seen three Gillette Toggles in the same photo. Never mind two of them cased.
Thank you! Sadly I came to it as an inheritance. Just learning what I inherited. And apparently, I have four Gillette Toggles, just one doesn’t have a case. And one wasn’t in the picture, nor were several others I’m still unpacking. I’m not to certain about the rest. Gillette’s look sometimes all too much the same, model within model, within production year. Lots of aristocrats!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you! Sadly I came to it as an inheritance. Just learning what I inherited. And apparently, I have four Gillette Toggles, just one doesn’t have a case. And one wasn’t in the picture, nor were several others I’m still unpacking. I’m not to certain about the rest. Gillette’s look sometimes all too much the same, model within model, within production year. Lots of aristocrats!

I've never used a Toggle. Never used an Aristocrat either. Never seen either in person.

Gillette made some very good razors. Identifying them is well within your capacity given the available information and the shared expertise amongst B&B members. There are websites and books on Gillette razor history and identification. Plenty of people here will be glad to look at your photos to help you figure out what you've got, but you can probably identify most Gillettes without their help.

Here's a simple and basic identification guide.

There are many other online sources of course.

Mostly, the brain trust here is a great resource for Gillette ID.

For the record, some razors are better shavers than others. Even more to the point some razors shave me (or you) better than other razors. For instance, some people say the Aristocrat is too mild for them. Other gentlemen say it is just perfect.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've never used a Toggle. Never used an Aristocrat either. Never seen either in person.

Gillette made some very good razors. Identifying them is well within your capacity given the available information and the shared expertise amongst B&B members. There are websites and books on Gillette razor history and identification. Plenty of people here will be glad to look at your photos to help you figure out what you've got, but you can probably identify most Gillettes without their help.

Here's a simple and basic identification guide.

There are many other online sources of course.

Mostly, the brain trust here is a great resource for Gillette ID.

For the record, some razors are better shavers than others. Even more to the point some razors shave me (or you) better than other razors. For instance, some people say the Aristocrat is too mild for them. Other gentlemen say it is just perfect.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I’m going to attempt identification using the links and information you so kindly provided. Part of the fun I’m having is the research, plus the great shaves!

Once I run-aground, I’ll reach out to y’all!

Thanks again,

Curly

Wow, what a collection!
People Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Ok! Gents, I just had “day two” of a perfect shave. Well actually, day three. Day two, I skipped shaving because I didn’t need one for the first time in forever. Day one was a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat using an Astra (green box) blade and TOBS sandalwood cream. Thought I shaved with a 1934, but Medibv helped me identify my razor. It’s a 1936. Thanks Medivh!

Shave was so good after two passes WTG, I quit. Posted it separately under “Magic Shave” because I couldn’t believe it happened, given my technique. I’m new at this and couldn’t believe my results.

Fast forward. Got another magic shave with the same 1936 Aristocrat tonight, after skipping a day. Shave was so close on Thursday, I didn’t shave on Friday. And I normally shave everyday.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I was wanting to experiment with one of the other razors (below), but fear my results will not be as good as the past two shaves. Mostly because I don’t know what I’m doing. Prep, blade, and cream will be the same because that’s all I have for cream and I like the Astra blade.

But, here are my choices for razors. BTW, remember I’m new at this, and don’t know what I’m doing, or even know what I have to do it with.

Thanks in advance for your tutelage.

Curly
11BCEEB0-94F1-4AD0-984A-21213FB724BD.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've never owned or even seen a Toggle in real life.

Can you grade the four Toggles you're thinking of using? By that I mean can you determine which of the four is the most valuable (the best year, the most collectible, the most valuable, in the best shape)?

Assuming you can grade them, at least to a degree, I'd suggest putting all but one aside. The one you don't put aside would be the most user grade of the four. In other words, shave with the worst looking and/or least valuable of the razors.

The other option would be to shave with any one of you choice. But, still put the others aside.

I'm thinking about the value of these beauties as I say all that.

In terms of shaving with them, I suspect you understand that the adjustments control the amount of gap. As you play with the razor's adjustments you'll see how on one end of the adjustment range the blade moves up away from the handle (and away from the baseplate) so there is more gap; that is the highest position, and it will deliver the wildest shave. On the other end of the adjustment range the blade moves towards the baseplate and handle; that is the lowest position, and it is the mildest shave.

Mild here means safest, most comfortable, smoothest, and least likely to bite.

Wild here means most efficient, perhaps less comfortable, and less smooth.

You have to find the setting or settings which appeal to you. With adjustables, some guys find what they consider to be their best setting and stick with it. Other, adjust the razor on the fly, sometimes using more than one setting during one shave, sometimes seeking a mild shave and going wild on other occasions.

I'd start on setting #1 or 2 probably.

Hopefully, you already understood everything I just wrote in which case I missed the point of your question. There are a few members who collect Toggles. They probably know tons I've not dreamed of.

Boy, those are some nice razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've never owned or even seen a Toggle in real life.

Can you grade the four Toggles you're thinking of using? By that I mean can you determine which of the four is the most valuable (the best year, the most collectible, the most valuable, in the best shape)?

Assuming you can grade them, at least to a degree, I'd suggest putting all but one aside. The one you don't put aside would be the most user grade of the four. In other words, shave with the worst looking and/or least valuable of the razors.

The other option would be to shave with any one of you choice. But, still put the others aside.

I'm thinking about the value of these beauties as I say all that.

In terms of shaving with them, I suspect you understand that the adjustments control the amount of gap. As you play with the razor's adjustments you'll see how on one end of the adjustment range the blade moves up away from the handle (and away from the baseplate) so there is more gap; that is the highest position, and it will deliver the wildest shave. On the other end of the adjustment range the blade moves towards the baseplate and handle; that is the lowest position, and it is the mildest shave.

Mild here means safest, most comfortable, smoothest, and least likely to bite.

Wild here means most efficient, perhaps less comfortable, and less smooth.

You have to find the setting or settings which appeal to you. With adjustables, some guys find what they consider to be their best setting and stick with it. Other, adjust the razor on the fly, sometimes using more than one setting during one shave, sometimes seeking a mild shave and going wild on other occasions.

I'd start on setting #1 or 2 probably.

Hopefully, you already understood everything I just wrote in which case I missed the point of your question. There are a few members who collect Toggles. They probably know tons I've not dreamed of.

Boy, those are some nice razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you very much for all the information, Jim! Much appreciated!!!

If I grade them using a system I understand, I’d grade two of the cased toggles at NRA 98%, with one having instructions and a warranty card. One is a D1, best condition overall, the other is an F4. The third cased toggle is NRA 95% is also an F4. All three cases show slight handling marks, one has a replacement liner.

The case-less toggle is a D1 and shows very minor finish loss at the end caps, and scratches, thinning, wear from use across the edges of the face. Picture isn’t as clear as I’d like, but the finish has not worn completely through. Based upon your suggestion, this is the one I’ll test-drive.
99FBCFB0-5EFA-48FB-A3E1-34FFFFD0ED4F.jpeg

I have not cleaned any of them, just replaced the missing liner with one found on Etsy. Not OEM, but it holds the razor and blades.

As to the rest, I think I understand. I started with a Slim, then on to a Fatboy, both set on 3 using both Astra and Feather blades. I think I got a better shave from the Slim but my technique is still under construction. Most recently I’ve been amazed by a ‘36 Arisocrat. Might be I “don’t need no stinking adjustments”! 😁

Thanks again for taking the time to assist!

Most Respectfully,

Curly

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you very much for all the information, Jim! Much appreciated!!!

If I grade them using a system I understand, I’d grade two of the cased toggles at NRA 98%, with one having instructions and a warranty card. One is a D1, best condition overall, the other is an F4. The third cased toggle is NRA 95% is also an F4. All three cases show slight handling marks, one has a replacement liner.

The case-less toggle is a D1 and shows very minor finish loss at the end caps, and scratches, thinning, wear from use across the edges of the face. Picture isn’t as clear as I’d like, but the finish has not worn completely through. Based upon your suggestion, this is the one I’ll test-drive.View attachment 1416713

I have not cleaned any of them, just replaced the missing liner with one found on Etsy. Not OEM, but it holds the razor and blades.

As to the rest, I think I understand. I started with a Slim, then on to a Fatboy, both set on 3 using both Astra and Feather blades. I think I got a better shave from the Slim but my technique is still under construction. Most recently I’ve been amazed by a ‘36 Arisocrat. Might be I “don’t need no stinking adjustments”! 😁

Thanks again for taking the time to assist!

Most Respectfully,

Curly

I've never used or seen a real life in hand Aristocrat either, but they're said to be fabulous shavers albeit mild according to some.

I tend to like mild razors as long as they're both mild and efficient enough.

You have the best stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Welcome to b&b. While the story has an unfortunate set of circumstances at least all of those razors will have a personal sentimental value and a great collection to start off with.

@Chan Eil Whiskers very wise guidance and a fantastic infographic that you shared. I made sure to download that for myself too.

I found the below thread to be a very quick click-through to find out what to let razor you have which has worked fairly well for me. If you are still trying to figure out what razors they are and enjoy a more immersive pictorial comparison.

Welcome to b&b. While the story has an unfortunate set of circumstances at least all of those razors will have a personal sentimental value and a great collection to start off with.

@Chan Eil Whiskers very wise guidance and a fantastic infographic that you shared. I made sure to download that for myself too.

I found the below thread to be a very quick click-through to find out what to let razor you have which has worked fairly well for me. If you are still trying to figure out what razors they are and enjoy a more immersive pictorial comparison.

AWESOME link! Thank you, Berwick12!!! I am certainly enjoying this educational experience.

Ok! Gents, I just had “day two” of a perfect shave. Well actually, day three. Day two, I skipped shaving because I didn’t need one for the first time in forever. Day one was a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat using an Astra (green box) blade and TOBS sandalwood cream. Thought I shaved with a 1934, but Medibv helped me identify my razor. It’s a 1936. Thanks Medivh!

Shave was so good after two passes WTG, I quit. Posted it separately under “Magic Shave” because I couldn’t believe it happened, given my technique. I’m new at this and couldn’t believe my results.

Fast forward. Got another magic shave with the same 1936 Aristocrat tonight, after skipping a day. Shave was so close on Thursday, I didn’t shave on Friday. And I normally shave everyday.

Which brings me to my dilemma. I was wanting to experiment with one of the other razors (below), but fear my results will not be as good as the past two shaves. Mostly because I don’t know what I’m doing. Prep, blade, and cream will be the same because that’s all I have for cream and I like the Astra blade.

But, here are my choices for razors. BTW, remember I’m new at this, and don’t know what I’m doing, or even know what I have to do it with.

Thanks in advance for your tutelage.

Curly
View attachment 1416543
I want one of those lid inserts SOOOOO badly :(
A wonderful collection you were left. Enjoy it in good health, and welcome!

I just inherited 3 Gillette safety razors.
1956 B 2
1962 H 3
1964 J 4
They all operate smoothly and are in very nice condition. I have no intention of using them and wanted to know if they have any value and if there is a reputable place to sell them. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220307_141937.jpg
    20220307_141937.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
@BrianSims welcome to badger and blade! If you get a chance head on over to the newbie check-in and say hello. We have a vast knowledge base here. If you post a picture to the razor acquisition thread there some people will definitely give you their two cents. As your post is part of someone else's post it probably will not get a lot of views here. But, to answer your question from left to right it looks like you have a slim adjustable and two super speeds. Before selling them I would suggest you give one a whirl, I did and now I'm here.

You never know what's still out there. My dad died, and mom remarried in 1957. Although my stepdad shaved with a SS, he gave me an electric when I began shaving in the early 1960s, I used electric, injector and carts most of my life. He passed away in 2001 and, unfortunately, one of the first things my mom did was toss all his old shaving gear. She asked me to clean out his dresser, and I found this, an unused early, 1941 Aristocrat buried in back of a dresser drawer. Even my mom never knew it existed. We believe it must have been a gift from his parents when he was drafted for WW2, and he kept it as a keepsake. Except for a few missing blades, it appears to be untouched. It's still unused. I thought about it and bought a beater Aristocrat, but found it too aggressive.

gillette razor.JPG

Last edited:
You never know what's still out there. My dad died, and mom remarried in 1957. Although my stepdad shaved with a SS, he gave me an electric when I began shaving in the early 1960s, I used electric, injector and carts most of my life. He passed away in 2001 and, unfortunately, one of the first things my mom did was toss all his old shaving gear. She asked me to clean out his dresser, and I found this, an unused, early, 1941 Aristocrat buried in back of a dresser drawer. Even my mom never knew it existed. We believe it must have been a gift from his parents when he was drafted for WW2, and he kept it as a keepsake. Except for a few missing blades, it appears to be untouched. It's still unused. I thought about it and bought a beater Aristocrat, but found it too aggressive.

View attachment 1420675
You're in NJ? I'll meet you somewhere and take it off your hands!

You never know what's still out there. My dad died, and mom remarried in 1957. Although my stepdad shaved with a SS, he gave me an electric when I began shaving in the early 1960s, I used electric, injector and carts most of my life. He passed away in 2001 and, unfortunately, one of the first things my mom did was toss all his old shaving gear. She asked me to clean out his dresser, and I found this, an unused early, 1941 Aristocrat buried in back of a dresser drawer. Even my mom never knew it existed. We believe it must have been a gift from his parents when he was drafted for WW2, and he kept it as a keepsake. Except for a few missing blades, it appears to be untouched. It's still unused. I thought about it and bought a beater Aristocrat, but found it too aggressive.

View attachment 1420675
NJPaddy,

As I’m discovering through the knowledge base here at B&B, each face is different, as are razor and blade combinations. What works for me, might only work for me. But that’s a lovely tool you inherited and might it be worth experimenting with different blades? Sorry for your loss. I’d give up the inherited razors just to have one more cup of coffee with the gentlemen who gave me my introduction to DE shaving.

Curly

I just inherited 3 Gillette safety razors.
1956 B 2
1962 H 3
1964 J 4
They all operate smoothly and are in very nice condition. I have no intention of using them and wanted to know if they have any value and if there is a reputable place to sell them. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yep, those are a Slim Adjustable & two Super Speeds. B & B doesn't allow us to discuss the value of razors, & that's for the best.

Top Bottom